Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

In Downing Street’s latest daily televised press conference he thanked the country for its "huge efforts" to comply with the government's advice.

Mr Johnson said "we can turn the tide within the next 12 weeks", adding: "I'm absolutely confident we can send the virus packing in this country."

Round here on the streets there’s loads of groups of kids hanging around. Shutting down schools isn’t going to help much if they’re still getting together. Time for a bit of martial law methinks.

23 minutes ago, Tdansmith said:

In Downing Street’s latest daily televised press conference he thanked the country for its "huge efforts" to comply with the government's advice.

Mr Johnson said "we can turn the tide within the next 12 weeks", adding: "I'm absolutely confident we can send the virus packing in this country."

He loves a soundbite.

11 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Round here on the streets there’s loads of groups of kids hanging around. Shutting down schools isn’t going to help much if they’re still getting together. Time for a bit of martial law methinks.

I think you're just nostalgic. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

I walked past the Wetherspoons in Greenwich earlier. It was full of pensioners, the exact people who need to be isolating. London needs to be locked down as quickly as possible to save these people from themselves.

I don't mind if they want to kill themselves and die in a particularly horrible way because there's no NHS capacity available for them, I just wish they'd let us know so we can stop turning our lives upside down for them.

• Like 1

There was a daft old cunt on Channel 4 News earlier saying how she was going to continue going out and if it was her time then it was her time.

Not a thought given to the NHS staff and resources that are going to be given towards treating her and that she’s probably going to be denying a bed to someone who actually wants to live.

As a positive aside, this has helped me realise that my deep set anxieties and depressions are not based in day-to-day living but are actually steeped in great existential crises and the very nature of the unanswerable weighing down my every day thought process. I’ve spent sleepless nights worrying about untimely ends, the big questions and the weight and importance of the community of friends and family we surround ourselves with and when you see those things threatened, as they are now, it’s soothing to know that, even in my depths, when I can’t actually function for a racing mind, I’ve never attempted to deal with those difficult questions by panic buying shit tickets and tins of peas. These fucking idiots have made me feel a lot better about my specific brain issues and I thank them.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, Tdansmith said:

One day into the half curfew-ish thingy going on and people are ‘heroic’ apparently 

Miss T is a reception teacher & reckons it'll be virtually  business as usual at her school on Monday, now that they've listed the " Key Workers" . The schools in a rural area with a lot of kids living on working farms. Also quiet a few of the kids have one or both parents working in the medical profession.

Yesterday's press conference was the first of these I'd seen from Johnson and it's difficult to convey just how deeply unimpressive he is as a leader. He basically came out and spoke for a couple of minutes and then said 'we've already done a few of these so I'm going to keep it short' as if this was some massive inconvenience to him. He encourages people to avoid bars and cafes but when it was put to him that he could just shut them he claimed that people are listening to the advice despite plenty of evidence to the contrary. We really do have the worst possible leader and the worst possible time, even Theresa May would be more confidence inspiring.

14 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Yesterday's press conference was the first of these I'd seen from Johnson and it's difficult to convey just how deeply unimpressive he is as a leader. He basically came out and spoke for a couple of minutes and then said 'we've already done a few of these so I'm going to keep it short' as if this was some massive inconvenience to him. He encourages people to avoid bars and cafes but when it was put to him that he could just shut them he claimed that people are listening to the advice despite plenty of evidence to the contrary. We really do have the worst possible leader and the worst possible time, even Theresa May would be more confidence inspiring.

Yep, he was awful yesterday. The first one he did he got the tone reasonably ok, but 4 days in and he can’t keep the act up anymore

Meanwhile, over the water 

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-many-of-you-are-feeling-scared-full-text-of-varadkar-speech-1.4205405

Headed into work on an empty metro today. This will be the last time I use the metro for several months. I expect the service will close completely soon, tough on those without cars. 

On the plus side our new teleconference and messaging system, Starleaf, is pretty good. Will be having virtual meetings with colleagues from now on. 

Until he comes out & says they're shutting pubs & clubs people are going to continue going. Tonight Town will no doubt be busy as people will be saying " I'm not staying out the pubs fuck that"  we all know what it's like at the weekend especially. Yet it's the perfect breeding ground for the virus. I'm with Ewerk not that I particularly liked her but I'd rather have Theresa May overseeing this.

1 minute ago, trooper said:

Until he comes out & says they're shutting pubs & clubs people are going to continue going. Tonight Town will no doubt be busy as people will be saying " I'm not staying out the pubs fuck that"  we all know what it's like at the weekend especially. Yet it's the perfect breeding ground for the virus. I'm with Ewerk not that I particularly liked her but I'd rather have Theresa May overseeing this.

The don't go to pubs but keep them open line is ridiculous. Probably bowing to pressure from King Gammon (Tim Martin), who was on the radio this morning being nonsensical. The thought of no pubs, cafes, or restaurants for several months is so depressing mind. Really hope most can survive this. 

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

The don't go to pubs but keep them open line is ridiculous. Probably bowing to pressure from King Gammon (Tim Martin), who was on the radio this morning being nonsensical. The thought of no pubs, cafes, or restaurants for several months is so depressing mind. Really hope most can survive this. 

I think that's the problem, aye - people (deep down) know there's probably a shutdown coming, so they're going out and doing this stuff while they still can, maybe even more so. In terms of the health consqeuences it's negligent but you can understand the mindset really.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

I think that's the problem, aye - people (deep down) know there's probably a shutdown coming, so they're going out and doing this stuff while they still can, maybe even more so. In terms of the health consqeuences it's negligent but you can understand the mindset really.

Tynemouth sea front was busy yesterday evening, I imagine the village pubs would be rammed. Its up to government to lead on this, but then when the PMs Dad says what he does what hope is there?

Talking to me Dad yesterday he's 83 he's not looking forward to this staying in as he's used to going out everyday for a little walk even if its just to get the papers. He lives down in Cheshire there's plenty of family members to make sure he's enough food & meds etc. He has a fully enclosed back yard I said if he needs to go out just to go out in the yard. Mrs T offered to go & pick him up & bring him up here but he's set in his ways & wouldnt have any of it. So it'll have to be daily phone calls to check he's ok.