Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

And theres a thought. If this had happened just a decade or two ago, we'd be even more fucked. It would have taken years to even characterise the virus's genome, let alone develop a diagnostic test. We can only beat this with technology which thankfully we might be able to do. 

22 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Picked a good year for the battery on the old pacemaker to run out. Need a replacement in the next 3 to 6 months. 😬

I don't know whether to give you the lol, sad, confused, or like tag. Unlucky mate. :doh:

12 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

The buses are still rammed with OAPs. This lot have spent the better part of a decade ruining things for the rest of us by being simple-minded, selfish ugly bastards and it’s high time that they shuffled off. Bring back Shipman, I say.

Perhaps I’m being whooshed, I dunno, but the posting of essentially hate and intolerance towards old folk on here and on social media in general is massively sad and disturbing.

Human way I suppose, fear generates hate and it is usually the weakest in society that are the target for that.

The guise of humour from some posters does not mask their evident FEAR.

So howay lads, let us be decent to all.

4 hours ago, Dougle said:

Perhaps I’m being whooshed, I dunno, but the posting of essentially hate and intolerance towards old folk on here and on social media in general is massively sad and disturbing.

Human way I suppose, fear generates hate and it is usually the weakest in society that are the target for that.

You're right, but by the same token I find the ignorance on display by some of the older generation to be genuinely annoying, so that is going to drive people to say shit about it.

My mam is 70. She has underlying health conditions. She's in the house, doing what she's supposed to be doing. 

There are other people in her position that, up until last night, were sat in the pub talking about the blitz spirit and when your number's up, your number's up. 

If my mam ends up catching it, she could be vying for a ventilator with one of the pub crew. At which point their when your number's up patter will evaporate. 

You're absolutely right that we all need to be nicer to one another, but people need to start acting like members of society and not selfish arseholes who don't see why this should change their lives one bit. I absolutely want us to be all in this together, because that's the quickest and surest way to make it fuck off. But as things stand, we're not all in it together, and the people putting others at risk can expect some backlash for it. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

You're right, but by the same token I find the ignorance on display by some of the older generation to be genuinely annoying, so that is going to drive people to say shit about it.

My mam is 70. She has underlying health conditions. She's in the house, doing what she's supposed to be doing. 

There are other people in her position that, up until last night, were sat in the pub talking about the blitz spirit and when your number's up, your number's up. 

If my mam ends up catching it, she could be vying for a ventilator with one of the pub crew. At which point their when your number's up patter will evaporate. 

You're absolutely right that we all need to be nicer to one another, but people need to start acting like members of society and not selfish arseholes who don't see why this should change their lives one bit. I absolutely want us to be all in this together, because that's the quickest and surest way to make it fuck off. But as things stand, we're not all in it together, and the people putting others at risk can expect some backlash for it. 

Absolutely nailed on. Like Renton said. At least in the second world war you had a physical enemy so to speak you could see. This fucker you don't know if you have it at all. You could be carrying it. 

5 hours ago, Dougle said:

It’s flippancy and over-the-top, for sure but like Gemmill says, the attitude from some of that lot has been genuinely despicable. Obviously, it’s up and down the ages but to see pubs packed out with OAPs when they’ve been specifically told to stay in rankles and this is why we’re here now, because people can’t take the hint. My mate stayed out until closing time last night and he’s a fucking idiot as well. Filtering the situation through jokes and pisstaking is a much easier way to get a grip on how to personally move forward instead of over-the-top hand wringing. Sitting watching the news for 14 hours a day is a sure-fire way to spend the next couple of weeks depressed. Not looking at anyone in particular.

• Like 1

Aye I'm done with minute by minute news feeds for the foreseeable. I kept away from it all until the press conference yesterday and it almost felt like a normal day. 

Every now and again something positive will show up in the news or on twitter, but on balance it's going to be massively negative for a LONG time. Best to turn it off. It'll always be there if you desperately need a mood darkener. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Aye I'm done with minute by minute news feeds for the foreseeable. I kept away from it all until the press conference yesterday and it almost felt like a normal day. 

Every now and again something positive will show up in the news or on twitter, but on balance it's going to be massively negative for a LONG time. Best to turn it off. It'll always be there if you desperately need a mood darkener. 

Aye every time I come on here and read this I see a certain poster has posted I come off :lol:

4 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Aye every time I come on here and read this I see a certain poster has posted I come off :lol:

Me, I wonder? I'd like to make the point Gemmill's right, you need to stay positive and make time to take your mind off this situation, but burying your head in the sand absolutely does not help. Look back to the start of this thread, which was just a few weeks ago. I said hundreds of thousands would die and we'd face economic collapse. That was based on what had happened elsewhere, and simple maths. You were in complete denial. Exactly a week ago, myself and others warned the government's strategy was catastrophic. For that i was called a fanny, amd randomly abused by one poster. You told me to log off. But we were right.

I don't want to be a Cassandra and i take less than zero pleasure in saying"I told you so".  I find this place quite therapeutic and a place to vent, and laugh. But if I'm annoying people to this extent, if people want to censor reality, then i guess i will give it a break. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Renton said:

Me, I wonder? I'd like to make the point Gemmill's right, you need to stay positive and make time to take your mind off this situation, but burying your head in the sand absolutely does not help. Look back to the start of this thread, which was just a few weeks ago. I said hundreds of thousands would die and we'd face economic collapse. That was based on what had happened elsewhere, and simple maths. You were in complete denial. Exactly a week ago, myself and others warned the government's strategy was catastrophic. For that i was called a fanny, amd randomly abused by one poster. You told me to log off. But we were right.

I don't want to be a Cassandra and i take less than zero pleasure in saying"I told you so".  I find this place quite therapeutic and a place to vent, and laugh. But if I'm annoying people to this extent, if people want to censor reality, then i guess i will give it a break. 

Hell no! You bring balance to the force.

We can’t lose you and Rayvin in the space of a few weeks!

Unfortunately it’s just an incredibly depressing subject to discuss but one which is dominating nearly every aspect of our lives. There isn’t much to be cheery about and there’s nothing else going on in the world to distract us.

31 minutes ago, Renton said:

I'm defo not talking about burying your head. I'm talking about checking in once a day and the press conference seems the obvious time cos that is when substantive changes/announcements will be made. Refreshing twitter or following live blogs is gonna make people ill. 

And btw don't stop posting on here. Especially if it's a help to you. 

Just been out on a walk and walked past this bloke who didn't spot me coming til the last second cos he was stood still typing on his phone. I was giving him a wide berth anyway but he visibly tried to shrink into the walk he was stood against. :lol:

This bloke gets it. Suspect and show immediate undiluted revulsion to everyone. :lol:

Just been to Asda. People being reasonably civilised. Some old geezer seemed to think he had the right to push through everyone. Nee bog roll but plenty of rum 

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

Just been to Asda. People being reasonably civilised. Some old geezer seemed to think he had the right to push through everyone. Nee bog roll but plenty of rum 

In case anyone didn't know. Tescos is open exclusively to NHS staff tomorrow between 9 and 10. I might finally get some bog roll.