Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

2 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

WHO warning that America is fucked

I believe it, even when he was in the mindset of taking advice from the medical professionals for his speech at the weekend he was still saying he won’t mandate nationwide closures as “each state is different” so even though New York, New Jersey, California, Illinois, Washington, etc are shutting down other states don’t give fuck. 

What is also baffling is how these arrogant pricks don’t understand that if people go out and live normal lives, sacrificing anyone that’s old or compromised, it won’t be long until those in other groups are desperately needing ventilators to stay alive as the hospitals become overwhelmed. What exactly does he think will happen to the economy  when that happens? 

He simply doesn’t give a flying fuck, all he wants is the stock market to be up when it’s election time, outside of that nothing matters. If this doesn’t open people’s eyes to voting in animals like this then nothing will. If he ignores all the medical professionals advice the fall out is going to be fucking horrific, apparently Dr Fauci has been stopped from attending any further press briefings as Trump finally clicked on that Fauci didn’t agree with him.

Edited by Howay
  • Like 5

He's a straight up psycho. Absolutely chilling watching his press conferences. I mean the tories are cunts but I watch Matt Hancock today and I can see he genuinely gives a fuck. If you offered Trump 10 million dead for an election win, he wouldn't think twice. 

• Like 5

If Hancock truly gave a fuck, instead of seeking 250,000 volunteers, he’d be paying at least minimum wage , and offering work to those who’re without a wage for the foreseeable. 

They’re all despicable cunts who’ve all had a role in fucking over every aspect of the country that couldn’t provide a profit to them. 

Rant over :lol:

23 minutes ago, Howay said:

I believe it, even when he was in the mindset of taking advice from the medical professionals for his speech at the weekend he was still saying he won’t mandate nationwide closures as “each state is different” so even though New York, New Jersey, California, Illinois, Washington, etc are shutting down other states don’t give fuck. 

What is also baffling is how these arrogant pricks don’t understand that if people go out and live normal lives, sacrificing anyone that’s old or compromised, it won’t be long until those in other groups are desperately needing ventilators to stay alive as the hospitals become overwhelmed. What exactly does he think will happen to the economy  when that happens? 

He simply doesn’t give a flying fuck, all he wants is the stock market to be up when it’s election time, outside of that nothing matters. If this doesn’t open people’s eyes to voting in animals like this then nothing will. If he ignores all the medical professionals advice the fall out is going to be fucking horrific, apparently Dr Fauci has been stopped from attending any further press briefings as Trump finally clicked on that Fauci didn’t agree with him.

Where are you living mate? 
What’s the local response to this, are people taking measures or do they think they can shoot their way out of it? 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Where are you living mate? 
What’s the local response to this, are people taking measures or do they think they can shoot their way out of it? 

I live in New Jersey, about 20 mins drive from NYC. The Governor of NJ gave a shelter in place order on Saturday, which seems to be pretty much in line with the lockdown back home. My company has had all offices in the US closed for just over a week now as our NYC office has had a pretty big outbreak (get daily emails with new cases saying what floors of the building they had visited), and we are closed until April 30 at earliest. 

Must admit I’m not sure what Trumps idea about reopening everything means, he himself hasn’t really done much in the way of closures it’s really been up to states, but I don’t know if they have the power to remain that way or if he can overrule them and force them to lift these lockdowns. I think New York is getting out of hand already so it’ll be far worse in 2 weeks which in Trumps head is when we should reopen. 

Not many gun nuts around where I live thankfully, but I think Texas are planning to shoot their way out with what their nob head Governor is saying (Trump talked about what a great guy he is in his recent conference). 

I did just have a call with a lad at work who is super Republican and he actually said he agrees with something that AOC said recently, so maybe there is hope things may change politically but I still hope the Orange doylem currently in charge doesn’t cause complete havoc in the meantime. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

It will be far from heaven. The 2 year old will start knocking fuck out of his keyboard as he tries to work and/or screaming for Paw Patrol or some other shit. The 6 month old will be whining like bastard because they haven’t been fed in the last 3 minutes. 

I’m working at home with a 3 year old and a 10 month old, I’m pulling my hair out.

Aye. I've got a 5 year old and 13 month old to deal with.  Really hard when you're trying to concentrate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

If Hancock truly gave a fuck, instead of seeking 250,000 volunteers, he’d be paying at least minimum wage , and offering work to those who’re without a wage for the foreseeable. 

They’re all despicable cunts who’ve all had a role in fucking over every aspect of the country that couldn’t provide a profit to them. 

Rant over :lol:

good shout though i'm not against the idea of privileged volunteers working for free, but they should be testing anyone who volunteers before they put their lives, or the lives of others, at risk - which of course they won't

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tom said:

Anyone else finding working from home rock solid?

I keep rolling into “the office” at about 11am :lol: 

It's taking some adjustment, being in the office is good for me, being here less so.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Tom said:

I'm getting up at the normal time and getting started at seven so I can pack in by three at the latest. 

2 hours ago, Howay said:

I live in New Jersey, about 20 mins drive from NYC. The Governor of NJ gave a shelter in place order on Saturday, which seems to be pretty much in line with the lockdown back home. My company has had all offices in the US closed for just over a week now as our NYC office has had a pretty big outbreak (get daily emails with new cases saying what floors of the building they had visited), and we are closed until April 30 at earliest. 

Must admit I’m not sure what Trumps idea about reopening everything means, he himself hasn’t really done much in the way of closures it’s really been up to states, but I don’t know if they have the power to remain that way or if he can overrule them and force them to lift these lockdowns. I think New York is getting out of hand already so it’ll be far worse in 2 weeks which in Trumps head is when we should reopen. 

Not many gun nuts around where I live thankfully, but I think Texas are planning to shoot their way out with what their nob head Governor is saying (Trump talked about what a great guy he is in his recent conference). 

I did just have a call with a lad at work who is super Republican and he actually said he agrees with something that AOC said recently, so maybe there is hope things may change politically but I still hope the Orange doylem currently in charge doesn’t cause complete havoc in the meantime. 

Spent a full day and night sat in a budget motel in Newark once. It was 'an experience' 

• Haha 1

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

Page 10,11,12

I assume this is the research paper the government is using. We won't hit our peak for another 3 weeks yet. Lockdown is likely to last 5 months. 

Following that periodic lockdowns will need to happen each time the case rate increases for the next 18months, which is how long a vaccine will take to create.

I think it's safe to say the football isn't starting again any time soon. 

Summary The global impact of COVID-19 has been profound, and the public health threat it represents is the most serious seen in a respiratory virus since the 1918 H1N1 influenza pandemic. Here we present the results of epidemiological modelling which has informed policymaking in the UK and other countries in recent weeks. In the absence of a COVID-19 vaccine, we assess the potential role of a number of public health measures – so-called non-pharmaceutical interventions (NPIs) – aimed at reducing contact rates in the population and thereby reducing transmission of the virus. In the results presented here, we apply a previously published microsimulation model to two countries: the UK (Great Britain specifically) and the US. We conclude that the effectiveness of any one intervention in isolation is likely to be limited, requiring multiple interventions to be combined to have a substantial impact on transmission. Two fundamental strategies are possible: (a) mitigation, which focuses on slowing but not necessarily stopping epidemic spread – reducing peak healthcare demand while protecting those most at risk of severe disease from infection, and (b) suppression, which aims to reverse epidemic growth, reducing case numbers to low levels and maintaining that situation indefinitely.

Each policy has major challenges. We find that that optimal mitigation policies (combining home isolation of suspect cases, home quarantine of those living in the same household as suspect cases, and social distancing of the elderly and others at most risk of severe disease) might reduce peak healthcare demand by 2/3 and deaths by half. However, the resulting mitigated epidemic would still likely result in hundreds of thousands of deaths and health systems (most notably intensive care units) being overwhelmed many times over. For countries able to achieve it, this leaves suppression as the preferred policy option. We show that in the UK and US context, suppression will minimally require a combination of social distancing of the entire population, home isolation of cases and household quarantine of their family members. This may need to be supplemented by school and university closures, though it should be recognised that such closures may have negative impacts on health systems due to increased  absenteeism.

The major challenge of suppression is that this type of intensive intervention package – or something equivalently effective at reducing transmission – will need to be maintained until a vaccine becomes available (potentially 18 months or more) – given that we predict that transmission will quickly rebound if interventions are relaxed. We show that intermittent social distancing – triggered by trends in disease surveillance – may allow interventions to be relaxed temporarily in relative short time windows, but measures will need to be reintroduced if or when case numbers rebound. Last, while experience in China and now South Korea show that suppression is possible in the short term, it remains to be seen whether it is possible long-term, and whether the social and economic costs of the interventions adopted thus far can be reduced.

Edited by Kid Dynamite

52 minutes ago, Andrew said:

It's taking some adjustment, being in the office is good for me, being here less so.

We all need somewhere to go every day. It gives you a sense of purpose - even if you could achieve the same or more from home. In my case it’s less. In fact, it’s a lot less. 

1 minute ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I don't know enough about it, but giving the whole population a vaccine that isn't thoroughly tested at a RCT is how the zombie apocalypse starts in most films

I think I’ve seen that film and Trump is definitely the deranged, narcissistic president who waves it through  

1 hour ago, Tom said:

“Rock solid” you say? 🤔