Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I assume this is the research paper the government is using. We won't hit our peak for another 3 weeks yet. Lockdown is likely to last 5 months. 

Obviously I understand it from a contagion and public health perspective and it's absolutely the right thing to be doing until we're well on the way down from the peak, but the mental health, social cohesion and (yes) economic impact of a five-month lockdown is just mind-boggling when you stop to think about it.

I know I just said earlier today that I was trying to stop thinking about things like this, but whatever. :lol:

19 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Obviously I understand it from a contagion and public health perspective and it's absolutely the right thing to be doing until we're well on the way down from the peak, but the mental health, social cohesion and (yes) economic impact of a five-month lockdown is just mind-boggling when you stop to think about it.

I know I just said earlier today that I was trying to stop thinking about things like this, but whatever. :lol:

Me again. Not having a moan or panic but the enormity of my parents situation  me today. I think I mentioned they live next door. Both are high risk and have to be shielded for 12 weeks. They have no care support and are obviously frail. Now, before the lock down my sister moved in with them which I thought was a good idea at the time. Somebody to provide company and practical help. But my sister has severe mental health problems (schizophrenia) which are largely controlled,  but her drug therapy over the years have left her very frail herself and diabetic. She also got the government at risk letter.

So that is 3 members of my immediate childhood family literally quarantined next door, in my childhood  house, with no care support. Obviously I can't enter the house. All 3 are completely computer illiterate, can't order stuff online or use Skype etc  Even phoning is largely out of the question because of deafness.The only thing I can do to help is buy groceries, but this means buying stuff for 7 people which isn't easy. Honestly, I just can't see how this situation can last 12 weeks without their physical and mental health massively deteriorating. And as you might note, my own anxiety. 

So what can I do to make things better? Any suggestions?

Edited by Renton
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Have we been too late in our restrictions? Or are we being less restrictive than Wuhan?

Both. The study J69 posted was largely ignored by the government until the u turn. Before that they were using a model which suggested herd immunity was feasible. Trouble is they didn't release it for peer review and the inputs were wrong. I think that delay and the shambles of Friday will prove very costly. 

I think Wuhan was a complete totalitarian lock down. Anyone with any symptoms was hauled from their house and sent to hospital for isolation. 

5 minutes ago, strawb said:

Try and get them some carers?

How? Who do I ask? Thing is they were independent before this, all 3 of them. 

That's a part of the issue but also j just dont think mentally any of them can cope with this. I certainly couldn't, I had to live with them a few years back and my Dad drove me nuts. I think maybe my sister should move out.

Edited by Renton

12 minutes ago, Renton said:

Me again. Not having a moan or panic but the enormity of my parents situation  me today. I think I mentioned they live next door. Both are high risk and have to be shielded for 12 weeks. They have no care support and are obviously frail. Now, before the lock down my sister moved in with them which I thought was a good idea at the time. Somebody to provide company and practical help. But my sister has severe mental health problems (schizophrenia) which are largely controlled,  but her drug therapy over the years have left her very frail herself and diabetic. She also got the government at risk letter.

So that is 3 members of my immediate childhood family literally quarantined next door, in my childhood  house, with no care support. Obviously I can't enter the house. All 3 are completely computer illiterate, can't order stuff online or use Skype etc  Even phoning is largely out of the question because of deafness.The only thing I can do to help is buy groceries, but this means buying stuff for 7 people which isn't easy. Honestly, I just can't see how this situation can last 12 weeks without their physical and mental health massively deteriorating. And as you might note, my own anxiety. 

So what can I do to make things better? Any suggestions?

Be sensible about it. Get a shower and go in their house to check if they are ok. You can still keep 2m away from them and don’t touch anything you don’t have to. 

Get them a cheap tablet, hook it up to your WiFi and FaceTime them too if needed. You can set the tablet up so that they literally just need to click the green button to answer your call. That’s what we’ve done for my Gran 

Edited by Kid Dynamite
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

How? Who do I ask? 

That's a part of the issue but also j just dont think mentally any of them can cope with this. I certainly couldn't, I had to live with them a few years back and my Dad drove me nuts. I think maybe my sister should move out.

not sure if this will be any help immediately but looks like a start...

https://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2020-03-24/newcastle-city-council-launches-volunteer-service-to-help-during-coronavirus-outbreak/

48 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I haven't looked at the full study but i dont get it. Why are we observing an exponential increase in death now if most people have already had it? Why are 90% of tests negative? Not expecting you to answer these questions btw. ;)

I do wonder about the denominator mind. Serological tests are urgently needed. 

Edited by Renton

5 hours ago, Howay said:

Must admit I’m not sure what Trumps idea about reopening everything means, he himself hasn’t really done much in the way of closures it’s really been up to states, but I don’t know if they have the power to remain that way or if he can overrule them and force them to lift these lockdowns. I think New York is getting out of hand already so it’ll be far worse in 2 weeks which in Trumps head is when we should reopen. 

He can't, he has no power over them as long as they're not in violation of federal law. 

The family and I already left NYC to stay with our in-laws in Pennsylvania, reckoning it'll be safer out here (definitely true, the infection rate in NYC is going nuclear) and also the bairns can actually stretch out and play freely in a proper family house, rather than our third-floor walk-up in the Bronx. I'm teaching from home and the 5-year-old is doing remote learning on the iPad, so all of that seems to be sorted, but I'm worried about my parents. Me dad's restaurant has shut (they don't do delivery) so he's out of work and me mam has a lot of underlying health problems that really would not play well with COVID-19. 

Things are already bad enough but the moron-in-chief seems determined to make them worse. Dr. Fauci is on the outs and has been replaced by a pathetic dogsbody called Dr. Birx, some joker in a lab coat who would say or do anything Trump told her to. Americans have died from taking "miracle cures" recommended to them by their god-emperor which turned out to (obviously) be fucking fake bullshit. And most worrying of all, the states have postponed a number of primaries and there hangs a vague sort of doubt over whether or not we're going to have an election at all in November. I'm convinced he'd lose - if the country is still a going cornern by then....

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ewerk said:

That is genuinely horrific from the President of the United States. I just hope that there's some adults in the room who can put him straight.

I am sure he would even sacrifice Don Junior for that, as well 

The man is so self-absorbed it is incredible and any adults have been told to leave the room or have run away as fast as they can, so as not to take any responsibility for the clusterfuck the moron in chief creates.

At least those who listen to him are those who vote for him, so if they all take fish tank cleaner to "cure" the virus, they won't be there to vote for him in November.

If only he would get it.  We would see just how much social distancing would be necessary - although, of course, he is far too fit to get such a disease.

Frankly, he is probably more worried about his hotel chains going bust than the economy as a whole.  He only looks after number one.

Dangerous fucking moron :angry:

4 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

I am sure he would even sacrifice Don Junior for that, as well 

The man is so self-absorbed it is incredible and any adults have been told to leave the room or have run away as fast as they can, so as not to take any responsibility for the clusterfuck the moron in chief creates.

At least those who listen to him are those who vote for him, so if they all take fish tank cleaner to "cure" the virus, they won't be there to vote for him in November.

If only he would get it.  We would see just how much social distancing would be necessary - although, of course, he is far too fit to get such a disease.

Frankly, he is probably more worried about his hotel chains going bust than the economy as a whole.  He only looks after number one.

Dangerous fucking moron :angry:

Yeah but Hillary would have doubled down on Syria...or something 

7 hours ago, acrossthepond said:

And most worrying of all, the states have postponed a number of primaries and there hangs a vague sort of doubt over whether or not we're going to have an election at all in November. I'm convinced he'd lose - if the country is still a going cornern by then....

I'm sure he'll try and get around it but I understand his term finishes legally on January 16th election or not and Pelosi would then be in charge.

Apart from the man himself exploding to the point of rather nuking his own country, I could see that causing almost civil war due to his moron cultists.

The ambiguity regarding the construction industry seems totally reckless. Anyone who’s been to London knows how much building is going on and obviously a huge proportion of these workers are self employed. Add in the attitude of employers  / management, backed up by anecdotes on here, and you have a situation where too many people will continue to travel to work

1 hour ago, NJS said:

I'm sure he'll try and get around it but I understand his term finishes legally on January 16th election or not and Pelosi would then be in charge.

Apart from the man himself exploding to the point of rather nuking his own country, I could see that causing almost civil war due to his moron cultists.

A lot of the people following his instructions will be long dead by January. 

The union is putting their foot down with our place, thank fuck. The great irony being that I won our “Nominate a Mate” scheme for being diligent in cleaning surfaces etc and the prize is a voucher for a shopping centre where fuck all is open for the next 6 month :lol: 

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Renton said:

I haven't looked at the full study but i dont get it. Why are we observing an exponential increase in death now if most people have already had it? Why are 90% of tests negative? Not expecting you to answer these questions btw. ;)

I do wonder about the denominator mind. Serological tests are urgently needed. 

I just put up because the libertarians on Twitter who want to let it kill everyone were sharing it last night. Was looking for clarification of what roughly what you’ve said. Am also pleased you’re not expecting me to interpret an Oxford uni zoology study in any sort of detailed way :lol: