Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

True but realistically this is going nationwide. Also, I don't think that people in rural areas are craven enough to think that it doesn't matter if half a million cityfolk die. Some of them maybe, but not enough to save him nationally. 

I don’t think it’s a given that Trump doesn’t get returned in November. Johnson is getting a fuckin sympathy vote for not following his own advice ffs. 300/400k out of 331 million. Lots will know someone affected. I expect we all do on this board but that’s not a cure for terminal stupidity. 

• Like 1

Aye, it's small as a percentage, but as a headline number, it's fucking huge. And it's gonna be a multiple of the people that died across the rest of the planet. There's only one conclusion to draw from that, even for the stupid: the big lad fucked up and loads of people died that didn't need to. 

The campaign videos Biden will be able to put together from theses Trump press conferences, spelling out the time line, overlaying graphs of the rising death figures as Trump says it's all gonna go away "like a miracle". I reckon he's completely fucked and he  pretty much knows it. 

And that's the other thing. Once the number of dead gets so out of control and is enough to sink him, that's when he'll decide that his only hope is to turn the economy back on. At which point the numbers of dead will get even more out of control just as the election approaches. He's fucked. 

It’ll be interesting to see what effect it has on Trump’s numbers, normally I’d say that it’s a difficult thing to politicise but then again American elections tend to be a bit tougher.

What I’m really not sure about is how a lockdown situation works in practice over there. They’ve all been given $1200 but that won’t last long. I know they’ve enhanced unemployment benefits but I doubt that comes close to normal wages for most people. Can they afford to stay at home?

The Malaysian government has urged women to dress up at home and avoid nagging their husbands in coronavirus lockdown advice.

Reuters reports:

In a series of online posters with the hashtag #WomenPreventCOVID19, Malaysia’s women’s affairs ministry issued advice on how to avoid domestic conflicts during the partial lockdown, which began on March 18.

One of the campaign posters depicted a man sitting on a sofa, and asked women to refrain from being “sarcastic” if they need help with household chores.

Avoid nagging your husband, another poster said, attempting to inject humour by using a voice similar to the anime character Doraemon - a blue robot cat popular across Asia.

The ministry also urged women to dress up and wear their makeup while working from home.

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

It’ll be interesting to see what effect it has on Trump’s numbers, normally I’d say that it’s a difficult thing to politicise but then again American elections tend to be a bit tougher.

What I’m really not sure about is how a lockdown situation works in practice over there. They’ve all been given $1200 but that won’t last long. I know they’ve enhanced unemployment benefits but I doubt that comes close to normal wages for most people. Can they afford to stay at home?

It’s probably depending how long it does last and if it’s over before the election. If the economy is picking up again after the crisis has peaked Trump will claim it as a result of his tremendous success and handling of everything.

As I have lost any confidence in voters making sensible decisions it probably doesn’t matter anyway, they just vote for the person screaming loudest and blames immigrants.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

The Malaysian government has urged women to dress up at home and avoid nagging their husbands in coronavirus lockdown advice.

Reuters reports:

In a series of online posters with the hashtag #WomenPreventCOVID19, Malaysia’s women’s affairs ministry issued advice on how to avoid domestic conflicts during the partial lockdown, which began on March 18.

One of the campaign posters depicted a man sitting on a sofa, and asked women to refrain from being “sarcastic” if they need help with household chores.

Avoid nagging your husband, another poster said, attempting to inject humour by using a voice similar to the anime character Doraemon - a blue robot cat popular across Asia.

The ministry also urged women to dress up and wear their makeup while working from home.

Perfectly solid advice if you ask me

I think Trump gets re-elected still. He'll just claim the US was better than everyone else, their economy is stronger, that the rest of the world wishes that they'd listened to him etc.

Same as always, he'll lie, people will challenge it only in anti-trump circles, and his base will just believe him.

• Like 1

Yeah but there'll be hundreds of thousands of bodies which will run somewhat counter to his argument. :razz:

I case anyone missed it, the 100 to 200k dead figure is, according to his medical expert, "if we do everything perfectly". It's gonna be multiples of that, definitely. 

You can't tell people that their family members haven't died. That's not a lie you can succeed with. 

Edited by Gemmill

9 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Yeah but there'll be hundreds of thousands of bodies which will run somewhat counter to his argument. :razz:

I case anyone missed it, the 100 to 200k dead figure is, according to his medical expert, "if we do everything perfectly". It's gonna be multiples of that, definitely. 

You can't tell people that their family members haven't died. That's not a lie you can succeed with. 

But there will  be cunts like Alex Jones claiming the piles of bodies are actors. 
And there’ll be idiots that believe him, in scarily significant amounts. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

But there will  be cunts like Alex Jones claiming the piles of bodies are actors. 
And there’ll be idiots that believe him, in scarily significant amounts. 

There'll be enough people that know somebody who died for this not to succeed in significant numbers. Alex Jones can pull that off when a bunch of kids from one school get shot. Not as easy when hundreds of thousands are dead across the whole country. 

Maybe that's exactly what the anti-gun activists need to be doing, the Stoneman Douglas kids and the Sandy Hook parents and all. Fill up the media just outright telling these people their dead relatives are fake. See if the penny drops.

• Like 5

There will be tens of millions unemployed in the US. Virtually every non-food retail, leisure, and transport company will be history. This is going to be nowhere near normal by November. This isn't going to be normal come the election after this. Things have changed, forever. 

That's not even taking into account serious social breakdown and the gun nuts. It could get very ugly indeed. 

But logically he should never have been elected in the first place. I’d like to think this finishes his chances but who knows? 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

There will be tens of millions unemployed in the US. Virtually every non-food retail, leisure, and transport company will be history. This is going to be nowhere near normal by November. This isn't going to be normal come the election after this. Things have changed, forever. 

That's not even taking into account serious social breakdown and the gun nuts. It could get very ugly indeed. 

yeah, this. this is the only story in town for the next president too, tbh. whether his supporter base blames him for the balls up he is making of it is another matter 

16 minutes ago, Renton said:

Trump is laying the groundwork for him to claim that he tried to open the economy again but that individual states elected to ignore him. Probably democrat governed ones, which will also be referenced.

The death toll will be dismissed by saying how much bigger the US population is than Spain and Italy, and how "you should see how people over there are suffering because of their economy, their whole economy has collapsed and it's very sad, and they wish they had done what we did, we were very strong, no one did it better, etc"

Edited by Rayvin

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Trump is laying the groundwork for him to claim that he tried to open the economy again but that individual states elected to ignore him. Probably democrat governed ones, which will also be referenced.

The death toll will be dismissed by saying how much bigger the US population is than Spain and Italy, and how "you should see how people over there are suffering because of their economy, their whole economy has collapsed and it's very sad, and they wish they had done what we did, we were very strong, no one did it better, etc"

But the US economy will also collapse. You can't hide it. It will be worse than the great depression. Presidents don't get reelected in times of recession,  let alone depression.

Tbh I think the US has massive problems coming their way and who is president is a side show. 

People always say the right "are definitely fucked this time" and honestly, I just don't believe it anymore. They're basically invincible.

I can't even bring myself to hope that you're right. I'll be amazed if Trump doesn't win, especially since it now appears clear that Joe "the rapist" Biden is not going to be able to unify the moderates and the left. The left are going for him with venom, and it's depressing as fuck.

Edited by Rayvin
  • Like 1