Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

51 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I don’t think we’re going to be completely fucked but we are going to need government intervention to stop that. 

Why are UK airlines fucked? They aren’t paying labour, fuel or all the maintenance costs? Their main overhead at the moment is lease payments on their fleets and that should be able to be frozen for six months until we get up and running again.

This downturn will be temporary, it won’t be on the same scale as 2008.

You’re half right. It’ll be much, much bigger 

36 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

The sight of Renton talking Rayvin down from the ledge. I'm welling up here. 

Wait, what? I'm not worrying about any of this :lol:

I was simply making the point that they won't let the economy fall apart. This whole thing isn't panicking me at all, my life has been a continuous train wreck for the past 2 years anyway, there's not much COVID-19 can do to me, to be perfectly frank.

I think it'll blow over after a year or so without any particularly earth shattering long term consequences. Because the system has to perpetuate - we have no other models to move to.

Edited by Rayvin

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

Wait, what? I'm not worrying about any of this :lol:

I was simply making the point that they won't let the economy fall apart. This whole thing isn't panicking me at all, my life has been a continuous train wreck for the past 2 years anyway, there's not much COVID-19 can do to me, to be perfectly frank.

I'm the one who thinks it'll blow over after a year or so without any particularly earth shattering long term consequences. Because the system has to perpetuate - we have no other models to move to.

What I'm seeing is...

Rayvin: "This is gonna be so bad.... It's armageddon..."

Renton: "Don't do this. You've got so much to live for.... Like the approaching economic meltdown (but not quite armageddon)."

It's fucking heartwarming, don't spoil it for me. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

What I'm seeing is...

Rayvin: "This is gonna be so bad.... It's armageddon..."

Renton: "Don't do this. You've got so much to live for.... Like the approaching economic meltdown (but not quite armageddon)."

It's fucking heartwarming, don't spoil it for me. 

:lol:

Fine.

Edited by Rayvin

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I'm with ewerk. I think it was Goldman Sachs did a call about this week saying it was another 9/11 rather than a 2008. And they should know cos they caused 2008.

That post was funnier when I misread it as ‘they caused 9/11’.

Just now, ewerk said:

It’s purely a liquidity crisis and as long as it doesn’t go on too long and governments and central banks continue to offer support then we’ll all be grand.

Yeah that sounds like a fair assessment to me.

22 minutes ago, ewerk said:

It’s purely a liquidity crisis and as long as it doesn’t go on too long and governments and central banks continue to offer support then we’ll all be grand.

Loads of industries will be decimated by this. Probably most, and all at once. No way is this not bigger than 2008. 

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Corden can suck it. Seth Meyers on the other hand. His stuff is genuinely worth a watch. 

I really hope people keep up the pressure long after this is done. What Trump is doing over here is seriously crossing a line, reports are that California received 170 broken ventilators, yesterday Illinois received 300k masks which Trump bragged about - the ask was for N95 masks which they received none of, all 300k were simple surgical masks, reports that items NYC asked for are turning up in New Jersey and vice versa, both receiving far less than asked. In contrast to all these Dem states, Florida has received double of everything it requested despite not being identified as a hot spot yet, conveniently it’s a swing state. 

He is also refusing to speak to the Gov of Michigan, referring to her as a nasty woman, and has said that states like NY, NJ, CT, CA, etc have to be nice to him to get what they are requesting. 

At some point this has to be crossing into dereliction of duty at the very least. 

The Independent has just reported that polling indicates more people in the US trust Trump on the pandemic than they would Biden. And moreover he has overall positive approval ratings for his handling of it.

Edited by Rayvin

2 hours ago, Rayvin said:

I just read that we're going to have to prepare for powercuts

Complete powercut right now at the Freeman. Hasn't happened in the 8 years or so I've been here and is a bit unnerving. 

It took 27 days for the first 1,500 people to die in America. It took 3 (THREE) days for the second 1,500 people to die in America. Their numbers are about to go completely insane. It's going to be horrifying on a scale like nothing we've seen so far in this pandemic. 

There is no way that Trump is viewed positively when this is all said and done.