Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

8 minutes ago, Renton said:

Really? Quite an odd take. 

'Turkeys voting for Christmas' has to be one of the most frequently used Brexit metaphors. This feels the same. Non billionaires voting despite all evidence to the contrary, against their own interests and possibly their own existence. 

Given that 180k died for austerity, I think we can assume Brexit will have a toll.

27 minutes ago, Renton said:

Complete powercut right now at the Freeman. Hasn't happened in the 8 years or so I've been here and is a bit unnerving. 

Essential services should be backed up by generator/UPS..I'd be very surprised if theyre not. Servers & surgical facilities definitely should be

15 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Essential services should be backed up by generator/UPS..I'd be very surprised if theyre not. Servers & surgical facilities definitely should be

We've got two circuits in the office, one went, the other didn't. Anyone plugged into the one that went lost any unsaved work. Of course vital equipment is on a generator back up. 

It's back on now after about 40 min outage. Just weird its happened now after what Rayvin said!:panic:

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

It’s purely a liquidity crisis and as long as it doesn’t go on too long and governments and central banks continue to offer support then we’ll all be grand.

how long is too long? 

4 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

As soon as we go past the peak of the curve, we can start easing people back in, you would have thought.

i wish i shared your optimism.

there could well be at least two prolonged lockdowns. as soon as we emerge from the first one and start infecting each other again, we will see further draconian measures, government support, economic shutdown etc. 

with no vaccine until next spring this story isn't going away any time soon. 

Just ordered from Scream for Pizza in Sandyford. This lot have got it sussed, phone lines open at 4pm every day and they book pickups in 10 minute slots so no one is gathering in the shop or outside. You pay by card on the phone and they put your pizza on a table outside at your allotted time. 

They are selling out all slots every night and it took me half an hour to get through on the phone. These characters will still be afloat when this all finishes. 

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i wish i shared your optimism.

there could well be at least two prolonged lockdowns. as soon as we emerge from the first one and start infecting each other again, we will see further draconian measures, government support, economic shutdown etc. 

with no vaccine until next spring this story isn't going away any time soon. 

It's not so much optimism as not really seeing what it is that's indicating so clearly that we're going to be locked down for something approaching a year...?

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

It's not so much optimism as not really seeing what it is that's indicating so clearly that we're going to be locked down for something approaching a year...?

i think we will be locked down for several months, then exactly the same thing will happen again. 

Neil Ferguson's paper shows the lockdown being turned on an off over and over again between now and November next year. Two thirds of that period is spent in lockdown. Given that the government appear to be following his advice now, that seems a likely approach. 

Just now, Gemmill said:

Neil Ferguson's paper shows the lockdown being turned on an off over and over again between now and November next year. Two thirds of that period is spent in lockdown. Given that the government appear to be following his advice now, that seems a likely approach. 

which suggests the recovery, when it comes, will be a lot more like the 1930s than the years folllowing 2008. 

the entire global economy is likely to close for the best part of a year or more. just let that sink in for a moment.

this is going to take a long, long time to recover from

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

i think we will be locked down for several months, then exactly the same thing will happen again. 

I don't see why we would stay locked down for months. Hospital admissions will slow to a trickle within a few months if we stay in lockdown. That makes no sense - once we drop way below capacity, they'll ease the restrictions and turn them back on again as we approach capacity. 

Just now, Gemmill said:

I don't see why we would stay locked down for months. Hospital admissions will slow to a trickle within a few months if we stay in lockdown. That makes no sense - once we drop way below capacity, they'll ease the restrictions and turn them back on again as we approach capacity. 

6 months, i think they were saying in the last 5pm press conference i watched the other day. 

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

which suggests the recovery, when it comes, will be a lot more like the 1930s than the years folllowing 2008. 

the entire global economy is likely to close for the best part of a year or more. just let that sink in for a moment.

this is going to take a long, long time to recover from

But imagine when the restrictions come off altogether. Lads walking down the street windmilling their knobs (you can look at them). Lasses with their baps out (I'll be looking at them). Humping in the streets. 

It'll be like VE Day. It's gonna be boom time for sexy fuckers like me. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

But imagine when the restrictions come off altogether. Lads walking down the street windmilling their knobs (you can look at them). Lasses with their baps out (I'll be looking at them). Humping in the streets. 

It'll be like VE Day. It's gonna be boom time for sexy fuckers like me. 

i'm going to go on an irvin welsh-style 48 hour bender, i reckon. i'm already feeling like a caged lion 

7 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Trouble is capacity at the moment is being achieved by cancelling all non-urgent surgery and other procedures, and you can't do that indefinitely, so what constitutes "capacity" is necessarily going to be lower in the future.

I do think you're right though, in that they'll be eager to ease the restrictions ASAP even if it means imposing them again soon afterwards, same as they were eager to avoid the restrictions in the first place. People need to be introduced to new concepts things slowly (for better or worse).

Good point, I need my pacemaker replacing this year, so you cunts can stop in the house and shut your fucking gobs for the next 6 months. 

It's gonna get mental when we start doing the corona hokey cokey though. Imagine the first day they re open the pubs ffs. :lol:

• Haha 2