Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

Got this from another forum I go on.

Many countries have managed to significantly decrease the doubling time of the virus so that growth is no longer exponential, exceptions are UK, USA, Canada and France, although they still look better than a week ago. Doubling time for the week ending April 6th:

Canada = 3.67 days
UK = 3.68 days
USA = 3.99 days
France = 4.03 days
Portugal = 5.78 days
Belgium = 6.27 days
Spain = 7.88 days
Netherlands = 7.88 days
Germany = 8.37 days
Switzerland = 11.79 days
Australia = 13.07 days
Italy = 15.51 days

Within the US, only Washington (and to a smaller extent New York) has managed to flatten the rate of infections, rest of the states are still in exponential growth.
Louisiana = 2.14 days
Pennsylvania = 2.43 days
Michigan = 2.93 days
New Jersey = 3.02 days
Massachusetts = 3.46 days
Florida = 3.57 days
Illinois = 3.67 days
California = 3.84 days
New York = 4.86 days
Washington = 7.97 days

Same lad posted this

I think a daily increase in cases of < 10% is an encouraging sign. This corresponds to a doubling time of about a week. When countries get below this rate for several days in a row, they generally seem well on their way to sustained reduction of the daily increase. Unless, of course, restrictions are relaxed, and there's a resurgence in cases. But at or closing in on the peak, you generally see rates of 15% (5 day doubling) to 20% (4 days), and when the rates finally plunge below these levels, the decrease seems to be real and sustained.

Complexity theorist Stuart Kauffman argues that there is a critical phase transition in social distancing, and that this is 70—80% for the coronavirus. SD that falls short of this will not stop the virus. (I'm not sure, though, how this % value is determined).

He also mentions several important approaches to preventing or treating the viral infection, including not only monoclonal antibodies, but phage selection and small interfering RNA. The former is a technique that uses phage, or viruses that infect bacteria, to produce a huge library of proteins or peptides that can be screened for interactions with other proteins that could be useful in blocking the virus infection of cells. You can literally identify a one in a million peptide sequence that might be effective against the virus. Small interfering RNA are small segments of RNA that can bind to other RNA molecules, such as the coronavirus, preventing them from replicating. No question these techniques work in vitro, but in vivo may be another question.

Spain started to see their death cases actually start to fall around day 20. And they rose pretty much every day until then.

Assuming we operate about the same as them, we've got another solid week of the death figures rising every day, and even when they start to come down it'll be from a lofty peak so the figures will still be fucking brutal for a while. 

And that assumes that Spain's more severe lockdown hasn't meant their figures are going to be better than ours. 

42 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I think most are observing the government advice tbh. The police have fuck all to do because even criminals don’t want to die so they’re picking in people in parks etc. TV cameras show this, then lockdown facists beget chirpy on social media. It’s them that need to fuckin calm down iyam

No mention was made of the reporters sent to out the Scottish doctor by spying on her. 

• Like 3

Read the embedded thread for context. Amazing how much priests and supposed Holy men are turning out to be the villains in this whole thing. 

I was watching an American news broadcast earlier and that cunt with the "superchurch" in Louisiana is still holding services and says nothing will make him close the doors of the church. Actually on the telly saying that his church is the safest place that anyone can be. 

49 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Got this from another forum I go on. (It's called www.T'Yorkshireworkgrievances.co.uk if anyone's interested?). :good:

I might have a look if I get the chance, Wykiki. :ok:

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, NJS said:

No mention was made of the reporters sent to out the Scottish doctor by spying on her. 

Good point. The media are different though. Largely because the media say so. They mostly make the rules. Piers Morgan would be a good person to ask 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Amazing how much priests and supposed Holy men are turning out to be the villains in this whole thing. 

I was watching an American news broadcast earlier and that cunt with the "superchurch" in Louisiana is still holding services and says nothing will make him close the doors of the church. Actually on the telly saying that his church is the safest place that anyone can be.

:boogie: :suicide: 

9 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

:boogie: :suicide: 

All stems back to fucking tangerine face of course, and his absolute refusal to do any sort of stay-at-home order at a national level. Blatantly preparing the way to blame it all on the state governors. 

The other thing with America is, there's all this talk of "this is gonna be our worst week", same as we're saying here. But they aren't universally on lockdown, so that doesn't seem likely to be true. The Governor of Arkansas is proudly declaring his state is still open for business for instance. It just seems like this is gonna continue to come in waves as some states get a hold on things (New York), but then another hotspot flares up and becomes the focal point. 

This is gonna go on for months and months for them, it seems to me. Until and unless President Peach does something about it on a national level. 

I have a couple of friends in Birmingham, Alabama & they’re staying inside bar the odd drive out for a walk in a forest of whatever they have there. 

29 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I might have a look if I get the chance, Wykiki. :ok:

In fairness, that would be mint. I love Wyki’s workplace tales of woe.

An entire forum of Wyki types, about to go full Columbine on their workmates, would make for great reading.

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Read the embedded thread for context. Amazing how much priests and supposed Holy men are turning out to be the villains in this whole thing. 

Channel 4 did a report the other week from Russia when their figures were low and showed a packed church and interviewed a woman outside it saying how it was a holy place and it was impossible to catch coronavirus in there. The terrifying thing was that she was a doctor.

33 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

With any luck, this whole mess will kick a big dent in organised religion too, if these irresponsible pricks can be proven to have caused outbreaks. 

They'll probably just go with the old "It's God's way of testing us\punishing the sinners" spiel, most of these cunts aren't going to change their way of thinking now <_<

Edited by Sonatine

12 minutes ago, Sonatine said:

They'll probably just go with the old "It's God's way of testing us\punishing the sinners" spiel, most of these cunts aren't going to change their way of thinking now <_<

THE GAYS HAVE BROUGHT THIS PESTILENCE UPON US 

• Haha 1