Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

45 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Why is there a 'weekend dip' of the deaths?

Probably delays in reporting deaths to PHE by the hospitals due to operational pressures/reduced admin staff etc. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, catmag said:

Probably delays in reporting deaths to PHE by the hospitals due to operational pressures/reduced admin staff etc. 

How’s your crew coping at the moment? 

52 minutes ago, Renton said:

439. Numbers seem to be heading in the right direction. 

You cannot possibly think this man. Look at Spains's numbers. Didn't start coming down til day 20. This is an underreporting due to the weekend. There'll be a catch up tomorrow. We aren't at the peak yet, it's gonna get worse. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

the beeb are running with "he's still in charge" while in hospital, and presumably on a ventilator 

More likely he’s been admitted for 02 therapy and chest x-rays. IV antibiotics if he’s got pneumonia. The majority of ventilated patients at our place are patients that were initially admitted with unmanageable symptoms and then deteriorated later. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

You cannot possibly think this man. Look at Spains's numbers. Didn't start coming down til day 20. This is an underreporting due to the weekend. There'll be a catch up tomorrow. We aren't at the peak yet, it's gonna get worse. 

Alright Renton Mk 3.0 (Mk 2.0 is Gloomy btw)

23 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

How’s your crew coping at the moment? 

It’s not fun but it’s manageable for now. We had a run of patients deteriorating and needing intubation for ventilation last weekend (I did 2 in one night and there was 2 the next shift) and I thought that was going to be the start of the madness but it eased off in ITU although general admissions are ramping up. We’ve since had a couple we’ve managed to wean off the ventilator and more that have died. We’re now treating any patient that comes to surgery as Covid positive which means full PPE and protocol. It’s like walking into the lion’s den every night not knowing what you’ll be facing. 

The worst thing so far was hearing a relative screaming at my colleague down the phone when he was told he couldn’t visit his dying mother. She was called a heartless bitch and various other things and he threatened to kick his way into the department. I totally get it but it’s heartbreaking and mentally and emotionally exhausting. 

• Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, catmag said:

More likely he’s been admitted for 02 therapy and chest x-rays. IV antibiotics if he’s got pneumonia. The majority of ventilated patients at our place are patients that were initially admitted with unmanageable symptoms and then deteriorated later. 

This may sound a daft question, but are IV antibiotics generally stronger than those in pill format?

1 minute ago, catmag said:

It’s not fun but it’s manageable for now. We had a run of patients deteriorating and needing intubation for ventilation last weekend (I did 2 in one night and there was 2 the next shift) and I thought that was going to be the start of the madness but it eased off in ITU although general admissions are ramping up. We’ve since had a couple we’ve managed to wean off the ventilator and more that have died. We’re now treating any patient that comes to surgery as Covid positive which means full PPE and protocol. It’s like walking into the lion’s den every night not knowing what you’ll be facing. 

The worst thing so far was hearing a relative screaming at my colleague down the phone when he was told he couldn’t visit his dying mother. She was called a heartless bitch and various other things and he threatened to kick his way into the department. I totally get it but it’s heartbreaking and mentally and emotionally exhausting. 

Stay safe Cat and I am sure you know we all think you're a star

1 minute ago, wykikitoon said:

This may sound a daft question, but are IV antibiotics generally stronger than those in pill format?

They just work faster and are more effective as they’re infused straight into the blood without having to be digested by the stomach.  Plus there are some super-strong IV antibiotics that just don’t come in tablet form. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Stay safe Cat and I am sure you know we all think you're a star

Thanks ❤️  We’re all winging it and shifting ourselves in case we get it. I’ve got a couple of nights off and a bottle of red ready to be opened. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Bloody kills me when Gemmill is right 😆

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I'm aware of the weekend artefact effect but I maintain it hasn't exploded as bad as I had feared. We're now in the time period where the lock down will be having an effect. I know there's a hell of a long way to go and things may get worse before they get better.But they will get better. Also I'm hoping theNE has escaped the worst of it. 

• Like 2

Cheers @catmag, if you need a back rub or owt give me a tinkle :lol:

( seriously though, it’s unbelievable work you’re all doing- my sis-in-law is also a nurse at Wansbeck and she has had a very similar time. 
I honestly don’t know how you do it. )

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My SOL is a Consultant Paediatrician and I have a mate who's a Consultant at A&E and Yorks Air Amb (although they've been grounded now) and even before this I think all NHS staff are superstars. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wykikitoon said:

My SOL is a Consultant Paediatrician and I have a mate who's a Consultant at A&E and Yorks Air Amb (although they've been grounded now) and even before this I think all NHS staff are superstars. 

Look at Billy Big Bollocks here with his own flatpack stadium…:lol:

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Renton said:

I'm aware of the weekend artefact effect but I maintain it hasn't exploded as bad as I had feared. We're now in the time period where the lock down will be having an effect. I know there's a hell of a long way to go and things may get worse before they get better.But they will get better. Also I'm hoping theNE has escaped the worst of it. 

We'll see tomorrow and the rest of the week. When you're back to being chicken licken. :razz:

• Haha 4

Since it’s a microscopic virus, which isn’t visible to the human eye, and the fact it’s a global  pandemic, I’m even more concerned about Wolfy’s mental state than usual. 

Poor bloke must be banging on his shed door, screaming at his kids “ Let is out ye bastards! You’re all in on it!”