Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

5 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

After the second world war, the public voted out a hero in Winston Churchill who lead us to Victory in WW2 and from what I have been told, voted in one of the most left wing governments in history.  Would Corbyn have been better placed where Starmer is now?

Atlee- Labour PM for the next six years. 
Hugely important figure in the creation of the Welfare State- it boils my piss that everyone knows of Über Cunts like Thatcher but Atlee is criminally under appreciated. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

Would Corbyn have been better placed where Starmer is now?

No, he's a busted flush with the parts of the electorate you need to win over. Whatever happens though, I hope Labour not only position themselves as realistically but firmly of the left, but actually make the "hey, we have policies you like!" argument persuasively and consistently, which is one thing they've not been terribly good at lately.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

After the second world war, the public voted out a hero in Winston Churchill who lead us to Victory in WW2 and from what I have been told, voted in one of the most left wing governments in history.  Would Corbyn have been better placed where Starmer is now?

I think the ‘country’ voted for Churchill whilst the returning servicemen voted Labour 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

And enough people will believe it

Here’s some early runners & riders...honestly, we’re fucked. This thread is one of the most depressing things I’ve ever fuckin read. A whole bunch of fuckin cretins refusing to look facts square in the face and find reasons to excuse the cunts who ignored Cygnus, ignored Asia for 2/3 months etc etc...at election time in nearly 5 years time there will be millions like this 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Here’s some early runners & riders...honestly, we’re fucked. This thread is one of the most depressing things I’ve ever fuckin read. A whole bunch of fuckin cretins refusing to look facts square in the face and find reasons to excuse the cunts who ignored Cygnus, ignored Asia for 2/3 months etc etc...at election time in nearly 5 years time there will be millions like this 

I’m not even reading it, not tonight anyway 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I think the ‘country’ voted for Churchill whilst the returning servicemen voted Labour 

I asked my parents why Churchill lost - they reckoned the people remembered the lead up to the war and how the tories were - along with the promise of the NHS. 

I asked why Labour lost in 51 - they reckoned the promise of creating a country fit for heroes hadn't quite worked out - though of course in that election they got more votes than the tories but were undone by the usual votes in the wrong place problem. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Gemmill said:

And she followed that up, when asked if she would apologise to the families of NHS staff that have died, and who say that the government is to blame, with "I'm sorry they feel that way."

She's a psycho. 

I’m on nightshift number 4 tonight. We’ve spent every night helping out in Covid ITU as there’s not enough staff overnight given they’re proning the ventilated patients and they need fully turning onto their fronts every few hours. I woke up at teatime today and had 3 messages on my phone which all basically said “Please don’t listen to today’s government briefing” Now I know why. Sanctimonious bitch. 

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

UK numbers seem to be hovering around the 8-900 mark. Hopefully plateauing here too 

Would those figures not be victim of the weekend under-reporting thing as happened last week though?

6 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Alok Sharma on Marr illustrating perfectly why they have medical experts at the daily briefings ie to bounce all the difficult questions on to them.

He's fucking hopeless. 

The way the daily briefing is set up, its a total charade.  Nobody there to ask the difficult questions really and that should be coming from the opposition.  The journos just get ignored.  Nobody is keeping this government on their toes at all.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

The way the daily briefing is set up, its a total charade.  Nobody there to ask the difficult questions really and that should be coming from the opposition.  The journos just get ignored.  Nobody is keeping this government on their toes at all.

aye, spot on.

16 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

I always thought probably one of the most shocking distortions of the truth during the thatcher era as well as the probably the most disturbing acts of police brutality was to the peace convoy near stonehenge in 85.

the hippies were portrayed as being outlaws armed with firebombs.

they were fucking families living in buses!

largely lost in time now amongst hillsborough and orgreave but a national scandal nonetheless, I think it was the fledgling channel 4 news footage which was mysteriously 'lost' for years.....

Edited by thebrokendoll
  • Like 1