Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

4 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

When you were climbing within your comfort zone/ability it was  incredible after a little herbal- all the climbing in Southern France is bolted, so as long as you clip the bolts, it’s safe as houses. 
When you pushed the boat out and tried something above your ability, it was generally very intense, ( not usually detrimentally so, just made you focused as fuck), or, you’d just say “Fuck it, let’s go to the Cafe” 😂

where were you climbing in the south of france?

couple of years ago we hired a canadian canoe at lac de saint croix and paddled at great personal risk for a few hours up the gorge du verdon. watched some rock climbers who span me out and I believe there are far more extreme climbs in the gorge our canoe couldn't access. hat well and truly doffed if you've done any of these, I wouldn't even watch any of these climbers stoned never mind contemplate participating!  :)

• Haha 3

I was there late eighties until end of ‘96. 
I have done some routes in the Verdon, although by then my herbal intake was more leisurely 😄, but aye, further up the gorge the exposure on those routes is fucking mental- closest you can get to Yosemite in Europe, arguably. 
What’s pretty freaky at first, is that you usually abseil from the top of the gorge to a set of bolts part-way down the cliff, clip on to them while your buddy comes down, then pull your ropes down and repeat the process for however many pitches your route is- often between 4-6. 
Certainly gets you committed from the get go 😂

( I was an open canoe instructor whilst I was down there, in another gorge a few hours west of the Verdon). 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I was there late eighties until end of ‘96. 
I have done some routes in the Verdon, although by then my herbal intake was more leisurely 😄, but aye, further up the gorge the exposure on those routes is fucking mental- closest you can get to Yosemite in Europe, arguably. 
What’s pretty freaky at first, is that you usually abseil from the top of the gorge to a set of bolts part-way down the cliff, clip on to them while your buddy comes down, then pull your ropes down and repeat the process for however many pitches your route is- often between 4-6. 
Certainly gets you committed from the get go 😂

( I was an open canoe instructor whilst I was down there, in another gorge a few hours west of the Verdon). 

fair play mate, very envious, it's one of the most breathtakingly beautiful places in the world I've ever seen. will go back one day, would love to re-do the road from castelaine (sp?) to lac de saint croix on me fireblade rather than a self converted mercedes sprinter!

ps... not going to even attempt to give you any tips on going up cliff faces, however if you need to know how to out manouver french families in pedaloes I'm your man!   

:)

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Wouldn’t the app need access to your GPS location 24/7?

To be honest I wouldn't give a fuck if it helped get through this - delete it later. 

53 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

anybody else think hancock reminds them of the leonard rossiter character rigsby?

greasy, smarmy and seedy. makes your flesh crawl?

Rising damp? He does a bit. Add in racist.

Raab looks like Jeffrey Fairbrother from Hi De Hi. Academically qualified, and privileged, but school of life thick as pig shit and emotionally stunted and cold. Ultimately ineffective and replaced. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, NJS said:

To be honest I wouldn't give a fuck if it helped get through this - delete it later. 

I think state surveillance is happening anyway. It's not an issue that would concern me, if we had a normal political situation. But aye, I think on balance an app like this is essential now. 

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

Rising damp? He does a bit. Add in racist.

Raab looks like Jeffrey Fairbrother from Hi De Hi. Academically qualified, and privileged, but school of life thick as pig shit and emotionally stunted and cold. Ultimately ineffective and replaced. 

:lol: Can someone photoshop Johnson and Patel as Ted Bovis and Gladys Pugh? 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Renton said:

I think state surveillance is happening anyway. It's not an issue that would concern me, if we had a normal political situation. But aye, I think on balance an app like this is essential now. 

Well not many people can be arsed to switch off all of the Google shit in Android anyway - if you haven't you can check out your Google timeline and you'll see.

6 hours ago, Alex said:

Aye. It’s fucking horrible. How’s work been for you? 

From a mental health point of view A&E is pretty quiet atm.

Which isn’t a surprise I guess. If you don’t have COVID symptoms it’s probably the last place on Earth you want to be visiting!

Keeping busy doing some TLC for the general nurses. Lots struggling and shit scared they are going to kill off family members taking something home 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

From a mental health point of view A&E is pretty quiet atm.

Which isn’t a surprise I guess. If you don’t have COVID symptoms it’s probably the last place on Earth you want to be visiting!

Keeping busy doing some TLC for the general nurses. Lots struggling and shit scared they are going to kill off family members taking something home 

The fall out from this is going to be something I assume? 

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

The fall out from this is going to be something I assume? 

There will be some fallout as far as mental well-being goes for staff who have been in the thick of it. 

The trick is trying to limit the damage to low level ‘moral injury’, rather than tipping into PTSD. It’s important for the bosses to keep in touch with staff, give them plenty of info so they know what to expect in the coming weeks and can be mentally prepared. TLC when they need it to manage the bad days. 

Theres plenty of research out there for veterans returning from war and a lot of it is applicable to the current situation 

Symptoms-Moral-Injury-PTSD.png

There’s a good hierarchy of needs written somewhere for mental well-being of healthcare staff but I’m struggling to find it 

• Like 2

And as far as the general population goes, a lot

of that will depend on the fallout. How many jobs are lost, homes repossessed, relatives died etc....

Theres already waiting lists of 6-12months for therapy so primary care services won’t cope

with a sudden influx of demand.

The slight positive is all of the saccharine bullshit from Boris and the Tories about the NHS is going to make it really difficult for them to fuck it over anytime soon. There may be some blank cheques written to health services in the short term 

• Like 2