Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

10 hours ago, Rayvin said:

That Times article is creating a bit of a storm on our side of the political fence. And it is Indeed interesting coming from the Times.

What I find particularly interesting about it is that there's very little in it that we didn't technically know more or less as it was happening. People on here had a more serious and well informed grasp of the risks posed by COVID than the government. And we weren't alone. Millions of people could see it for what it was.

How are we supposed to trust a government that failed where so many ordinary people succeeded? They actually, genuinely, are incompetent. In the extreme.

It's the same with some of Matt Hancock's "big" announcements. In the past week he announced that people going from hospital to social care would be tested....motherfucker, how has that not been the policy from the start? 

Ask anyone with half a brain what we should ensure when we send someone from hospital to social care, and the answer is well obviously that they don't have the virus. 

These dickheads just started doing this this week. And now a bunch of care homes are basically walled-off death camps. 

• Like 2

Marr asked Gove several questions this morning and he just blatantly just fucking ignored them.

You look on certain stuff on Twitter and people are moaning saying its not a time to be political and points scoring.  Of course this is from Tories who you know 100% if the show was on the other foot would be even fucking worse.

If there was a non-partisan emergency government in place, dealing with this crisis, then aye, political criticism could be put on hold. 
As it is, we’ve got Cunts Inc. running the show, like a flock of headless fucking chickens. 
Personally, I think they’re getting off lightly at the moment. When we’re allowed back out of our cages, they’ll be mincemeat. 

3 minutes ago, Tdansmith said:

The world is all like Las Vegas, everybody is losing money, it's acceptable to drink all hours and no one knows what fucking day it is. 

When there’s dirty hookers outside Forest Hall Greggs willing to take it up the wrong’un (dry) for £20, I’ll believe you. 
Meanwhile, I raise my can and salute your optimism. :lol:

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Marr asked Gove several questions this morning and he just blatantly just fucking ignored them.

Marr is a powderpuff interviewer. There’s a reason the politicians want to do it over others.

• Like 3

just had a surprisingly positive chat with my bro on the front line and he reckons there is spare capacity in his icu, that brits are generally doing as they're told and isolating well - it feels like we're past the peak and they were never overwhelmed

Thing is though if they try to ease the lockdown without mass testing and contact tracing then I can't see that many being willing to face public transport etc.

I certainly won't. 

2 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

You look on certain stuff on Twitter and people are moaning saying its not a time to be political and points scoring.  Of course this is from Tories who you know 100% if the show was on the other foot would be even fucking worse.

Literally everything is about politics all the fucking time. What they mean is that they  want anything that might highlight the incompetence in dealing with this to be buried. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, NJS said:

Thing is though if they try to ease the lockdown without mass testing and contact tracing then I can't see that many being willing to face public transport etc.

I certainly won't. 

Even when we get out of lockdown, things are going to be very strange for a long time. Can you imagine going to the cinema or a football match or anywhere with large crowds any time soon? 

I suppose the positive thing is we know lockdown works if/when we have to do it again a few weeks or months after we come out of the first one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

just had a surprisingly positive chat with my bro on the front line and he reckons there is spare capacity in his icu, that brits are generally doing as they're told and isolating well - it feels like we're past the peak and they were never overwhelmed

This is just the first wave though. Great that they didn't get overwhelmed but we're gonna have to do this another handful of times before this is over. 

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

This is just the first wave though. Great that they didn't get overwhelmed but we're gonna have to do this another handful of times before this is over. 

Good news in the NE  is we are nowhere nearr capacity. We still have more tthan 60% beds free . NuTH in particular has been brilliant. If i get ill, i need to get my arse into Newcastle. 

3 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Even when we get out of lockdown, things are going to be very strange for a long time. Can you imagine going to the cinema or a football match or anywhere with large crowds any time soon? 

I suppose the positive thing is we know lockdown works if/when we have to do it again a few weeks or months after we come out of the first one. 

A lot of bands who cancelled gigs rearranged them for the autumn. The Ash date at the end of March I was going to go to is now September 27th - I think they're optimistic (just like thoughts of a new football season) but in the end completely unrealistic. 

(Short of a miraculously rapidly available vaccine). 

On 4/17/2020 at 11:47, RobinRobin said:

Is it ironic that this thread seems to be dying?  Or have we just flattened the curve?

Famous last words.  You lot are clearly failing in your social distancing <_<

5 hours ago, NJS said:

A lot of bands who cancelled gigs rearranged them for the autumn. The Ash date at the end of March I was going to go to is now September 27th - I think they're optimistic (just like thoughts of a new football season) but in the end completely unrealistic. 

(Short of a miraculously rapidly available vaccine). 

We’ve got tickets for Foals in Manchester July 1st then Beck in Brixton a week or so later....at the moment neither have been moved...am fucked if I fancy being a guinea pig for new type of “socially distant” gig...

8 hours ago, Renton said:

Good news in the NE  is we are nowhere nearr capacity. We still have more tthan 60% beds free . NuTH in particular has been brilliant. If i get ill, i need to get my arse into Newcastle. 

What's the real story on PPE, to the best of your knowledge ? Plenty Dr's etc complaining and equally lots of "my husband/wife/sister is a nurse and they've got plenty" etc etc

8 hours ago, Renton said:

I was at Rake Lane for my check last week and then the new one at Cramlington for my op. Appare tly Cramlington is where the emergency Covid cases are going and Rake Lane has a ward for those that are in the up. 

Anyway, point of the post was to say that both hospitals were dead. Quiet like I've never seen a hospital before. Nurse was saying people just aren't coming in.