Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

19 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

UK ministers took a political decision not to be involved in an EU ventilator scheme, Sir Simon McDonald, the Foreign Office permanent under-secretary said today, so challenging previous claims that the UK did not take part due to missed emails.

McDonald was asked by a Labour MP, Chris Bryant, at the foreign affairs select committee whether the ventilator scheme was put to ministers. He said:

It was a political decision. The UK mission (UKREP) briefed ministers about what was available, what was on offer and the decision is known.

His remarks appear to blow a hole in the case originally made most prominently by the Cabinet Office minister Michael Gove.

McDonald also said the prime minister will consider in the next few weeks whether to go for an extension of the deadline for EU withdrawal date beyond December. He said he was stressing the theoretical possibilities, and added he believed the prime minister will confirm the existing timetable.

He now seems to be about to "clarify" that it wasn't a political decision.

Just now, wykikitoon said:

Lorraine laughing and joking and saying how great it is that the front line nurses are making their own PPE.  Fuck me.

Turn that shit off mate, go out on your bike....where possible though when you see an old cunt like me wandering along the pavement  in the name of exercise try to move away....if we can smell each other you’re too close...happens every day with some cyclists. I swear some of them think they’re fuckin bullet proof :glare:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

When I’m out burning rubber on the velociped all I can smell is my awesomeness. :lol:

If it's not totally burned I have a rubber bum pump you could use?

• Haha 1

I think short of a vaccine or the virus dying naturally, nowt's happening this year mass gathering or flight wise. 

The Premier league for example should forget this season and worry about next. 

• Like 1

Aye. Although we're seeing numbers dropping so who knows. It's mad. When I say dropping they're slowly coming down. 

I'm supposed to be in ibiza for fucking end of Sept too. Italy gone, now fucking ibiza looking like the same. 

There is fucking no chance of foreign travel this year. Very possibly not next year either. There probably won't be pubs open this year even. Restaurants, maybe, but limited capacity and horrendously expensive. When travel is released in this country, i expect demand to outstrip supply and possibly price gouging as well.  I know J69 thinks this is pessimistic, but its just reality. Rebooking holidays abroad  for later this year was just daft.

What's annoying me is I am shortly due to pay the balance on an August holiday i know won't happen. The deposit is a grand so I'll have to cough up and hope the refund is honoured. Should be okay as it is TUI. But the same dates for this holiday next year have more than doubled so out of my price range. Depressing. 

Edited by Renton

Jesus Christ. What has happened to the United States? The mayor of Las Vegas has offered the citizens of the city as a "placebo" to test whether social distancing works. :blink:

18 minutes ago, Renton said:

There is fucking no chance of foreign travel this year. Very possibly not next year either. There probably won't be pubs open this year even. Restaurants, maybe, but limited capacity and horrendously expensive. When travel is released in this country, i expect demand to outstrip supply and possibly price gouging as well.  I know J69 thinks this is pessimistic, but its just reality. Rebooking holidays abroad  for later this year was just daft.

What's annoying me is I am shortly due to pay the balance on an August holiday i know won't happen. The deposit is a grand so I'll have to cough up and hope the refund is honoured. Should be okay as it is TUI. But the same dates for this holiday next year have more than doubled so out of my price range. Depressing. 

I'm meant to fly back to the UK in September when my current visa is up.

Given how well NZ is doing I expect internally we'll be largely fine here by then, can't say as much for the UK or Singapore which has just had a relapse.