Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

26 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

ewerk does seem to have some weird kind of idetic memory for things people have said previously.

Sorry to hear it's been a shit week anyway, hang in there. There isn't a soul on here who doesn't respect the work you and other front line staff are doing throughout this.

:lol:

Not saying you're right or wrong on that score but is that a statement from personal experience? 

Was actually thinking more of the times you've inexplicably managed to find a CT post from 9 years ago about some obscure political point :lol:

Edited by Rayvin
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Sure seems to have a lot of time on his hands for a so-called businessman 

It's a family business. If he's not fucking around on toontastic he's walking around the family grounds putting the come hither on any particularly comely young village wench who toils away for his business. When they're afraid to look the master in the eye as he addresses them he knows he's the barnyard will be seeing some action later on. ;)

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I’ve re-read the early pages of this thread. I’ll happily admit I was wrong about most things :lol:

Did Steve Bruce feature at all? ;)

What’s criminal is those in power getting it so wrong. They knew about it and what was likely to happen well before the rest of us. They were better informed and had warnings from what was happening in the Far East but still did next to fuck all. Even when they’d dithered for far too long there was the example of Italy. Italy were supposed to be a special case due to the links with China through their textile industry and having an ageing population. We knew what was going on there, had more time to prepare and yet we’re on the same trajectory. They’ve shown they don’t give a fuck about the NHS staff, the care workers, the bus drivers, the supermarket staff, the whole fucking lot. You’re just an expendable stat to them. But I fully expect people to be more arsed about Love Island in about 12 months. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

It's a family business. If he's not fucking around on toontastic he's walking around the family grounds putting the come hither on any particularly comely young village wench who toils away for his business. When they're afraid to look the master in the eye as he addresses them he knows he's the barnyard will be seeing some action later on. ;)

You’ve got me all wrong. Think more along the lines of Bob Mortimer’ train guy if his Da gave him a job.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

You’ve got me all wrong. Think more along the lines of Bob Mortimer’ train guy if his Da gave him a job.

Have a capachoochoo on me 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Alex said:

Did Steve Bruce feature at all? ;)

What’s criminal is those in power getting it so wrong. They knew about it and what was likely to happen well before the rest of us. They were better informed and had warnings from what was happening in the Far East but still did next to fuck all. Even when they’d dithered for far too long there was the example of Italy. Italy were supposed to be a special case due to the links with China through their textile industry and having an ageing population. We knew what was going on there, had more time to prepare and yet we’re on the same trajectory. They’ve shown they don’t give a fuck about the NHS staff, the care workers, the bus drivers, the supermarket staff, the whole fucking lot. You’re just an expendable stat to them. But I fully expect people to be more arsed about Love Island in about 12 months. 

Aye, it was the example of Italy when I started losing it over this. I share an office with an Italian colleague, her father in law died from respiratory failure at the time, although they never even tested him for covid. Even without personal knowledge though it was the duty of the government to prepare for this. They failed  miserably.

We knew what was happening there, we knew what would happen here. To this day I just don't understand why so many people didn't grasp the severity of the situation at that point. In part, I genuinely think it's to do with the disease of British exceptionalism which has become prominent in this country. Turns out it is literally a fatal disease. 

• Like 3

They had one side with Italy which even then they didn't better and on the other South Korea as the good example. 

7 or 8 weeks later they're trying to take some lessons from the latter which will take a few weeks to implement while the corpses pile higher. 

• Like 1

What worries me is that from bits I’ve read and heard, this is going to be with us for good. It’s not like measles where we will eventually develop a vaccine but more like a flu virus that will just travel around the world every year. If we are very very lucky, we might develop a flu type vaccine that those most at risk can take every year.

If that’s right then how can we ever go back to pubs, concerts, mass travel etc.

Surely everything has now changed for the worse, for good?

6 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

What worries me is that from bits I’ve read and heard, this is going to be with us for good. It’s not like measles where we will eventually develop a vaccine but more like a flu virus that will just travel around the world every year. If we are very very lucky, we might develop a flu type vaccine that those most at risk can take every year.

If that’s right then how can we ever go back to pubs, concerts, mass travel etc.

We do have vaccines for the flu. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

This is far too pessimistic even for me. I think it's probable, although not certain, we will develop an effective vaccine for this. 18 months. I think it's highly likely we will devlop effective pharmaceutical for this, although that may be a 5 year timeline. People will get some immunity through vaccination or infection, although I don't think it will be complete. But it means if you get it again it will not be as severe and unlikely to hospitalise you.

Lastly, and most importantly, the genetic drift of this virus will be pressured to make it less virulent in time. Eventually it will just become another coronavirus, I.e. the common cold.

Don't give up hope on your pub nights just yet tubs. ;)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

This is far too pessimistic even for me. I think it's probable, although not certain, we will develop an effective vaccine for this. 18 months. I think it's highly likely we will devlop effective pharmaceutical for this, although that may be a 5 year timeline. People will get some immunity through vaccination or infection, although I don't think it will be complete. But it means if you get it again it will not be as severe and unlikely to hospitalise you.

Lastly, and most importantly, the genetic drift of this virus will be pressured to make it less virulent in time. Eventually it will just become another coronavirus, I.e. the common cold.

Don't give up hope on your pub nights just yet tubs. ;)

:lol: Pub nights are long gone.

The vaccine thing comparing the measles type to flu was something I heard from a report of Wittys evidence to the select committee a couple of days ago.

As you know I’m an extreme optimist but I’ve had a couple of down days after hearing all this.

I hope you’re right.

24 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Really?? What are they injecting me with every October when I get my flu jab??? :o