Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

27 minutes ago, Renton said:

I'm hearing Abbott have got their covid 19 antibody test through CE marking with claims of 99% diagnostic accuracy. Some good news at last. I hope, but also think, we'll see ongoing incremental improvements in diagnostics, vaccinations, and therapeutics over the next few months and years. Not one single game changer but collectively, maybe. I wonder where we will be this time next year? 

I've read a couple of hopeful articles as well as "we'll be lucky to have a vaccine in two years" things so I rail between hope and mild despair. 

Best thing I've read recently is the Oxford vaccine Rhesus monkey thing. 

48 minutes ago, Renton said:

I'm hearing Abbott have got their covid 19 antibody test through CE marking with claims of 99% diagnostic accuracy. Some good news at last. I hope, but also think, we'll see ongoing incremental improvements in diagnostics, vaccinations, and therapeutics over the next few months and years. Not one single game changer but collectively, maybe. I wonder where we will be this time next year? 

Fair play to her, she couldn't even do basic maths a couple of years ago.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, NJS said:

I've read a couple of hopeful articles as well as "we'll be lucky to have a vaccine in two years" things so I rail between hope and mild despair. 

Best thing I've read recently is the Oxford vaccine Rhesus monkey thing. 

The sheer volume of research will yield results.

As an example, HIV was a much more tricky problem to solve 30 years ago. A virus that actually attacks the immune system, at the time it looked like a cure was impossible. It took years, but it happened. Now we are 30 years more advanced, and the volume of research is magnitudes higher because the economic effects are so much worse. We're only 4 months in and progress has been amazing. 

1 minute ago, Anorthernsoul said:

They'll have a found vaccine quicker than you can get back from the Wetherspoons toilets.

The entire places are toilets so I will piss where I stand as usual

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/nih-clinical-trial-shows-remdesivir-accelerates-recovery-advanced-covid-19

Mortality rate wasn't statistically significantly decreased but was very close, a larger trial should show a significant effect. What I think is interesting is it shows the target is viable, this will allow for focussed drug development on this enzyme. Of course this will take time. Edit: just noticed I've basically repeated what Fauci says in the video title,  tbh i didn't watch it when I saw Trump was there. 

Edited by Renton

I think they'll be expecting people to be slightly flexible with their groupings so if you say ten people then I think they'll expect it to be 15/20 in reality. It's basically the start of easing lockdown without lifting it completely.

Meanwhile there's still factories of hundreds still mixing regularly.

1 hour ago, Meenzer said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/29/social-bubbles-of-small-groups-could-be-early-step-out-of-lockdown

This sounds broadly sensible? Enforceability will be the issue, of course...

Half of my family are NHS or other frontline workers, the other half are 75+, so I can’t see this making much difference chez Fist :lol:

'So what?' - Brazil's president on death toll passing 5,000

Brazil registered a record 6,276 new coronavirus cases on Wednesday. It already has the largest number of infections in all of Latin America with 79,685 total confirmed cases and more than 5,500 deaths.

President Jair Bolsonaro has downplayed the threat posed by the virus. Asked by reporters for comment after the death toll passed the 5,000 mark on Tuesday, he said: "So what? I'm sorry. What do you want me to do?"

One of the worst affected cities has been Manaus in the Amazon. The city's mayor has said that they are preparing to hold more than 4,000 funerals in May - four times the usual number.

Fucking hell. :(

• Jaysus... 1

To be honest as I've said before I don't see the point of being tested "on spec" without symptoms. 

Now an antibody test does appeal but there not there yet.