Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

37 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

It's just my opinion but this is why I was so adamant that Labour is fucked no matter who is in charge. It was always more than Corbyn, it's an honest to god culture war that is infecting all parts of our society. We are literally taking up the same sides of the battlefield over and over again on completely different issues because everyone has become politically involved - and in part that's because a certain section of society that was previously 'benignly uninformed' has been reached by the right through social media and various dishonest actors and transformed into 'dangerously misinformed'. I feel like our side always thought that if we could inform them, they'd see our point of view since it actually represents the interests of the vast majority of people. Somehow we didn't see shameless misinformation and lying actually working.

The same people who voted for Brexit are the same people who think Trump is doing a good job and talking sense, who are the same people who think the lockdown is an attack on civil liberties, who are the same people who think that they have to support the Tories on the mistakes they're making because this is a political issue and their side is under fire. Starmer isn't going to penetrate that, Obama wouldn't be able to, Blair wouldn't be able to, it's fucked. The only way the situation improves is if some kind of doomsday event really pushes these people into the light, or if the left/centre stop bickering about everything and engage in the snidy, dishonest and slimy bullshit of the right. Because playing the game fairly is going to get us squarely nowhere.

And if we ever do get back into power, we need to bring in laws that criminally prosecute well-poisoning serial liars in political positions. If we ever get that chance, we need to destroy the right's ability to behave like this ever again. It's too dangerous and it is only happening because no one ever thought they'd sink so low, and therefore the necessary safeguards weren't established.

I'm reluctantly beginning to agree with this, especially the first part. Mind, we're in a lock down that actually suits many people at the moment. And combine that with a "war time" narrative. When the immediate threat is over and the harsh economic realities really set in, I'll review then. Plus you'd have to hope youth will be the salvation. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/07/revealed-the-secret-report-that-gave-ministers-warning-of-care-home-coronavirus-crisis

Exercise Cygnus returns once again, this time to point out that there were 26 recommendations made about the care home sector specifically with respect of a pandemic, none of which were apparently implemented.

So that's PPE, ventilators, hospital beds, public willingness/information campaign about lockdown, and now care homes - all considered in 2016, all issues in which the national state of readiness was deemed to be severely wanting, and all simply brushed under the carpet by the Tories because it was politically inconvenient at the time.

• Jaysus... 1

I see Phil Hogan has preemptively accused the government of hiding the cost of a no deal Brexit in the cost of the coronavirus epidemic. I bet this is exactly what they plan to do. Fucking cunts. 

4 hours ago, Rayvin said:

It's just my opinion but this is why I was so adamant that Labour is fucked no matter who is in charge. It was always more than Corbyn, it's an honest to god culture war that is infecting all parts of our society. We are literally taking up the same sides of the battlefield over and over again on completely different issues because everyone has become politically involved - and in part that's because a certain section of society that was previously 'benignly uninformed' has been reached by the right through social media and various dishonest actors and transformed into 'dangerously misinformed'. I feel like our side always thought that if we could inform them, they'd see our point of view since it actually represents the interests of the vast majority of people. Somehow we didn't see shameless misinformation and lying actually working.

The same people who voted for Brexit are the same people who think Trump is doing a good job and talking sense, who are the same people who think the lockdown is an attack on civil liberties, who are the same people who think that they have to support the Tories on the mistakes they're making because this is a political issue and their side is under fire. Starmer isn't going to penetrate that, Obama wouldn't be able to, Blair wouldn't be able to, it's fucked. The only way the situation improves is if some kind of doomsday event really pushes these people into the light, or if the left/centre stop bickering about everything and engage in the snidy, dishonest and slimy bullshit of the right. Because playing the game fairly is going to get us squarely nowhere.

And if we ever do get back into power, we need to bring in laws that criminally prosecute well-poisoning serial liars in political positions. If we ever get that chance, we need to destroy the right's ability to behave like this ever again. It's too dangerous and it is only happening because no one ever thought they'd sink so low, and therefore the necessary safeguards weren't established.

The internet & social media has changed politics forever. There’s a possibility Starmer is merely the “Kinnock” in a similar cycle to the last time Labour lurched to the left. Which means I’ll be 60 before we possibly see another Labour government. I agree that it doesn’t  seem possible at the moment. Millions of people have been triggered, most probably know it now but can’t go back in what they’ve voted for. The likes of these (possibly originating on bot farms?)  are being shared on the idiot’s lantern Facebook, exclusively by Tory voters because guilt is fucking with them..

CBD6A3A7-EFAF-47AA-8E86-733F29A06167.jpeg

511355CB-E920-432B-B761-4721F9A2112A.jpeg

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Jaysus... 1

3 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

The internet & social media has changed politics forever. There’s a possibility Starmer is merely the “Kinnock” in a similar cycle to the last time Labour lurched to the left. Which means I’ll be 60 before we possibly see another Labour government. I agree that it doesn’t  seem possible at the moment. Millions of people have been triggered, most probably know it now but can’t go back in what they’ve voted for. The likes of these (possibly originating on bot farms?)  are being shared on the idiot’s lantern Facebook, exclusively by Tory voters because guilt is fucking with them..

Probably put together by a paid for service.

I fucking hate Facebook like. I haven missed it once. It’s like tabs, addictive with very little in the way of a payoff. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Renton said:

I see Phil Hogan has preemptively accused the government of hiding the cost of a no deal Brexit in the cost of the coronavirus epidemic. I bet this is exactly what they plan to do. Fucking cunts. 

That thought had wandered into the space between my lugs a few times in the last few weeks....it is exceedingly convenient for the government to be able to blame any brexit related problems/downturn for the next 5 years on the world wide events of Spring 2020

Hogan:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/phil-hogan-uk-will-blame-brexit-fallout-on-covid-19-998209.html

6 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Is it the manufacturers fault or the government's though? They're pursuing a refund which suggests the former.

It’s typical of this government, great at producing massive promises and headlines but fucking useless when it comes to the details.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Alex said:

I fucking hate Facebook like. I haven missed it once. It’s like tabs, addictive with very little in the way of a payoff. 

I'm starting to feel that way about twitter but it does have it's good points. (Just a shame about the shit). Years since I had Facebook.

• Like 1

If the manufacturers are at fault then it still boils down to why the government had to resort to this line of supply. 

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

Whenever I see anything like that I like to think of a proper little sad sack at home, alone, furious utilising their Microsoft paint skills to work.

On 05/05/2020 at 10:21, Ant said:

Just since the cycling to work/commuting got mentioned figured it'd be worth mentioning. 

The app we've had to develop has something towards the climate change impact built in to it. 

Can't post the maps etc yet till they're made available, but around half of my dept have give us the additional details in the last week we wanted so far  (home district/area code) 

Based on that along with the numbers we know are working from home etc and where they're based and ramping it up to the full dept. 

For 35 days of lockdown we've currently cut roughly 2million miles of commuting, which is around 1100 tonnes of co2 (and to balance it out it would need 1100 trees over 40yrs to absorb it) 

Maps makes it more interesting when it's broken down by area and density around office locations etc

Completely excluded Mid Ulster from the app I see. All because I took the piss out of your maps.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, ewerk said:

Given that they’ve got form in fucking up medical specs i.e. the ventilators I wouldn’t be surprised if this was the government’s cock up.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/07/no-complaint-or-refund-demand-over-400000-unusable-nhs-gowns

No complaint or refund request received by the supplier. So yes, government spec fuck up.

11 hours ago, Renton said:

Can't link on my phone, but the latest voting intentions man. 50% Conservative compared with 30% Labour!

I mean, what the fuck is wrong with people? Even the worst handling of coronavirus in the world doesn't change these morons. 

Hopefully 6months of Starmer wiping the floor with Boris over COVID will slowly start to turn the tide 

10 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Hopefully 6months of Starmer wiping the floor with Boris over COVID will slowly start to turn the tide 

Starmer does seem very electable from what I've seen so far.

I can see a massive switch to Labour this year.  It will take time to undo the feeling of incompetence Corbyn projected, but the Tory's are certainly making it easy.

You can see a massive switch to Labour pre-Brexit huh?

If polling remains broadly the same, will you come back and admit that the people voting for madmen on the right aren't looking for electability, they're looking for confirmation of their own biased views, and are impenetrable to reality and logical argument?

Those voting for the right are emotionally invested in it. Labour could have Thatcher in charge at the moment and they still wouldn't win. It's tribalism over everything now.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Starmer does seem very electable from what I've seen so far.

I can see a massive switch to Labour this year.  It will take time to undo the feeling of incompetence Corbyn projected, but the Tory's are certainly making it easy.

That’s reassuring, coming from you