Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

1 hour ago, Ant said:

Aye reopen the schools, can't even contain a nits outbreak in most primary schools but fuck it

A big chunk of the workforce rely on schools for childcare unfortunately. Like I said, there isn’t a right answer. But keeping schools shut indefinitely probably isn’t the solution 

• Like 1

The worry for me is, we had a massive, nationwide buy in from big business, the NHS and the general public for 6 weeks. Most people socially distanced, all routine operations were cancelled and the hospitals were cleared out. The weather was lush and everyone was (largely) getting paid.

We still had the 2nd highest death rate in the world

For round 2, none of the above will happen. The hospitals will be full again and if this drags into the winter we normally struggle to manage at the best of times. It could be a fucking disaster 

And as for track and tracing. Sounds good on paper. Works well in small African villages tracing Ebola. I’ve got massive doubt that you can implement it in a country of 65million with open borders and everyone back at work however. How the fuck do you trace everyone a carrier has been in contact with on the tube? Or at the match? Its only feasible if the country is pretty much in lockdown. I take it most people have seen contagion?

Edited by Kid Dynamite
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

The worry for me is, we had a massive, nationwide buy in from big business, the NHS and the general public for 6 weeks. Most people socially distanced, all routine operations were cancelled and the hospitals were cleared out. The weather was lush and everyone was (largely) getting paid.

We still had the 2nd highest death rate in the world

For round 2, none of the above will happen. The hospitals will be full again and if this drags into the winter we normally struggle to manage at the best of times. It could be a fucking disaster 

And as for track and tracing. Sounds good on paper. Works well in small African villages tracing Ebola. I’ve got massive doubt that you can implement it in a country of 65million with open borders and everyone back at work however. How the fuck do you trace everyone a carrier has been in contact with on the tube? Or at the match? Its only feasible if the country is pretty much in lockdown. I take it most people have seen contagion?

The South Koreans managed it by using apps which basically ended marriages by disclosing who had been having affairs and with whom. 

From the drivel Hancock was coming out with, he was saying that the app operates by connecting phone to phone using bluetooth.  So if two people are on the same bus, the app will make that connection and log that they've been in close proximity to one another.

That way if you suddenly declare that you've got the corona hiv, the app will be able to alert anyone that has been in close enough proximity for your phones to have made this bluetooth connection. And everybody who you've connected with gets a fortnight off to bake bread and play board games. 

That was Hancock's version of events anyway but he's clearly a grotty little lying shit of a man, so he probably just got that off Star Trek. 

• Haha 1

Problem is iPhones need the app in the foreground all the time so need nearby android phones to nudge them awake. 

I'm not a fan of Apple or Google but I think cooperating with their model given the urgency and pressure for it to work would have been better. 

18 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

The South Koreans went into full on North Korean mode. Phone tracking, credit card checks, prison for anyone that stepped out of line. Brits were up in arms being asked to sunbathe for a month

I think the opposite is true, actually - the government underestimated the extent to which the British people would comply with the lockdown rules and they are easing restrictions while the majority are still doubtful/fearful, according to a poll I read this week. I don’t know if we would tolerate the South Korean approach to track and tracing but they proved it is effective so it’s surely worth considering. 

It’s only in the past week, since Johnson’s confused address on Sunday, that things feel like they’ve changed down here. I was out for a walk earlier and while the streets are noticeably busier - and you get the odd arsehole who gets too close - people are still respecting the 2m distancing by and large. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

I think the opposite is true, actually - the government underestimated the extent to which the British people would comply with the lockdown rules and they are are easing restrictions while the majority are still doubtful/fearful, according to a poll I read this week the week. I don’t know if we would tolerate the South Korean approach to track and tracing but they proved that approach is effective so it’s surely worth considering. 

It’s only in the past week, since Johnson’s confused address on Sunday, that things feel like they’ve changed down here. I was out for a walk earlier and while the streets are noticeably busier - and you get the odd arsehole who gets too close - people are still respecting the 2m distancing by and large. 

That's my experience too. Things are busy now, but people are respecting the 2 metre rule. Theres an assumption that transmission is negligible outdoors, I hope this is right. 

South Korea did this right early on. Track and trace is only feasible under low prevalence imo. I hope we get to that stage. 

Just now, TheGingerQuiff said:

We not already at low prevalence? Less than one confirmed case per million on the globe. Fuck knows the real numbers in developing world mind.

Still thousands of new cases every day, estimated 1 in 400 people actively have it. I'd like to get it down to handfuls levels. 

The pub in Forest Hall reopened today for a few hours, so I ran in and ordered 4 pints, three double rums, and a couple of port and brandys, and necked them one after the other. 
I looked at the barman and said, 
“Cheers mate, but I probably shouldn’t be in here with what I’ve got”
He stepped away and asked, horrified, 
“Coronavirus?”
I said, 
“ No mate, £1.75”. 

• Haha 5

I’m sitting here on a relaxed Sunday night watching the first live golf in months and who calls in but Trump. FFS, America.

Going on about how the virus came from another country without explicitly mentioning China and allowing him to spout shite. 

Can you imagine Johnson being allowed to phone in and interrupt the coverage during the first PL game back?

A 15 minute political broadcast for free.

And what was the point? The only sort of wanker who’d vote for him is the sort who’d spend their Sunday night watching golf.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Gemmill said:

https://wefail.art/

These are class. 

I’ve seen that stuff before and it is class, that Four Horseman one for example. As Renton alludes to though, I wouldn’t want any of them on the living room wall :lol: 

15 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

£84 million going toward vaccine research sounds like a lot but is it? 

Its specifically for the Oxford trial which is in phase two of human trials (so doesnt need any further research funding).  It'll pay for the pre-production of 30m doses, ready to go in September.

https://www.businessleader.co.uk/84m-funding-boost-for-uk-vaccine-programme/89643/

Had a test today, precautionary as I’ve been getting rotten hay fever.

I genuinely never knew my nose went that far back, it was like Mary Poppins. :lol: 

• Haha 4

19 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

We not already at low prevalence? Less than one confirmed case per million on the globe. Fuck knows the real numbers in developing world mind.

My friend is working in Kabul as a doctor.

In his first week ISIS blew up a maternity ward and they had to shoot a cat in case the soldiers made it a mascot and it was rapid.

He reckons Covid is tearing through the local population because if they stay in doors they starve basically.

6 minutes ago, Tom said:

Had a test today, precautionary as I’ve been getting rotten hay fever.

I genuinely never knew my nose went that far back, it was like Mary Poppins. :lol: 

:lol: I've seen it on the telly. Looks like an extermination technique. Brain popper.