Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

There’s just been another government information film on and, even with the revised guidelines, compared to what they were back then, Cummings still would have been in breach of them. 

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Urghh. People like this genuinely make me feel sick. 

I recall a discussion I had at University once about this, a couple who were my friends at the time and still sort of are. Both upper middle, lower upper class, private school educated, who believed they had achieved their academic successes because of the genes they had inherited, rather than their incredibly privileged upbringing. For the sake of our friendship we had to just leave it there (they were genuinely nice people), but the arrogance of them was fucking galling. They later had a messy divorce and not particularly successful careers as it happens.

It's inbred in this country probably moreso than anywhere else in the world. It's also related to the sense of entitlement and British exceptionalism I mentioned before. I find it even more rankling than the disparity seen in the US tbh, at least there you have a theoretical chance of betterment, even if it is largely illusory. As long as we have the class system, spear headed by the monarchy, nothing will really change. 

Look at the direct aftermath of Grenfell. When there was the suggestion some of the poor buggers might be re-homed in the affordable housing part of a luxury development. Some fucking posh bint who was about 20 was complaining about it(even in the climate of public sympathy at that time) going on about how hard the people had worked who bought property there. She probably had the apartment bought for her and you can guarantee most of the Grenfell Tower residents worked a canny bit harder than she’d ever had to. They seem to buy into the notion they’ve 100% earned it and deserved so they can kid themselves they aren’t heartless bastards. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

Just now, Rayvin said:

Looks like he's definitely not resigning.

Onwards to the next crisis, I suppose.

No way is he going

Up to six people can meet outdoors.…

… is this based on any actual scientific reasoning or have they just pulled it out of their arse? 

If twelve people sat facing each other, 2m apart, couldn’t they just claim to be two groups? 

( sorry, it’s just fucking ridiculous. :lol:  Either people can meet, socially distantly, or they can’t.)

4 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

… is this based on any actual scientific reasoning or have they just pulled it out of their arse? 

If twelve people sat facing each other, 2m apart, couldn’t they just claim to be two groups? 

( sorry, it’s just fucking ridiculous. :lol:  Either people can meet, socially distantly, or they can’t.)

What’s a random number between 5-10?

6, let’s go with 6. No read to explain why. We can just say we’re being guided by the science 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

If these meetings result in an argument then a fight, would you get nicked for breaking social distance rules or for fighting.

:D

14 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

They could be 6 groups of 2 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Iirc it was okay for 250,000 people to sit together back in Mid March. 

They're letting off fireworks for the 8 o clock clap thing now ffs. In broad daylight. Honestly I hope someone takes a rocket to the eye and then gets the covid in A&E. 

• Haha 4

I didn’t see the briefing but caught the news. Johnson announces the easing of lockdown before handing over to the deputy CMA who tells us infection rates are still high and the rate of new daily cases is still high and the R number is close to 1. It would be funny if it wasn’t so serious 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alex said:

I didn’t see the briefing but caught the news. Johnson announces the easing of lockdown before handing over to the deputy CMA who tells us infection rates are still high and the rate of new daily cases is still high and the R number is close to 1. It would be funny if it wasn’t so serious 

Yeah, the 5 rules haven't been met by any means, still aboutb10,000 estimated new infections per day and nowhere near enough functional capacity to test enough people. Vallance and Whitty looked very worried. I mean, you invite 6 people over to your house for a BBQ with social distancing. Have a few drinks. What could possibly go wrong?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Renton said:

Yeah, the 5 rules haven't been met by any means, still aboutb10,000 estimated new infections per day and nowhere near enough functional capacity to test enough people. Vallance and Whitty looked very worried. I mean, you invite 6 people over to your house for a BBQ with social distancing. Have a few drinks. What could possibly go wrong?

10k estimated new infections?? 

Is there a link for that?..

10 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

10k estimated new infections?? 

Is there a link for that?..

The official positive test number is between 1.5k and 2k per day. But you need to multiply this by 5, conservatively, to estimate the true infection rate. This was bought up by a journalist in the briefing yesterday and not denied, also was discussed in channel 4 news.

R, which essentially reflects incidence,  is important, but so is prevalence. I don't think we are getting out of this soon amd yesterday was another set back. 

• Like 2