Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

My youngest kids can go back but eldest can’t. Although technically they could’ve all gone all along because of my lass working for the nhs. I’m probably classed as a key worker too in the sense I’m working on the ‘covid response’. Anyhoo, all I can see that meaning is I’d be forced to keep them away from both sets of grandparents (who went from seeing them almost every day to diligently following the lockdown to the letter, at great emotional expense). Wtf 5 year olds are going to gain from half a term of weirdness anyway is beyond me. So they’re not going anywhere near school until September. If we’re not under full lockdown again by then 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I’m not even slightly surprised. 

They admit they’re not following the scientific advice which they claim they’re following all the time? The only thing surprising is they’ve admitted it 

34 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Public transport is a complete mess of fat families buying paddling pools. Fuck me

Give my regards to ‘CT Towers’ 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this lot didn't go into a second lockdown tbh. I can see them praying that the Nightingale hospitals can carry the brunt and then carrying on.

I think it will be a slow, lingering spread under more or less current restrictions, but with people being forced back to work or redundancy, and an explosion in Autumn. That's when the shed in Sunderland will be used. What a shit show. 

I bought a paddling pool this weekend (online). Don't underestimate the need to get kids outdoors and occupied. Now I've got to buy a fucking pump too mind. 

41 minutes ago, Alex said:

My youngest kids can go back but eldest can’t. Although technically they could’ve all gone all along because of my lass working for the nhs. I’m probably classed as a key worker too in the sense I’m working on the ‘covid response’. Anyhoo, all I can see that meaning is I’d be forced to keep them away from both sets of grandparents (who went from seeing them almost every day to diligently following the lockdown to the letter, at great emotional expense). Wtf 5 year olds are going to gain from half a term of weirdness anyway is beyond me. So they’re not going anywhere near school until September. If we’re not under full lockdown again by then 

Same. 
Not that they’re complaining too much, but I explained it to them by saying when it’s safe to go for a haircut, then it might be safe to go to school. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

"The garden could do with some rain anyway". Proof positive of my middle aged status. 

I was thinking the same :lol: 

33 minutes ago, Tom said:

I had my Covid test in Gateshead Ikea car park....have they just stopped testing so people can buy flat packs?

I was actually thinking that.

I am eligible to participate in the vaccine trial OR be part of an antibody survey. Not sure tbh, a bit of a hassle. I'm bound to be given the placebo arm if I do the trial, or turn into a zombie, and I'm pretty certain I haven't been infected so the antibody study is pointless to me from a personal pov. Both require a fair bit of blood work, so not pleasant. On the other hand, I feel a bit of a hypocrite not volunteering. 

Edited by Renton

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

We may have been locked down for weeks but a trip to Ikea remains about as appealing as my last shit

Shopping is mostly awful, but then so are people. I guess that goes some way to explaining the appeal.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Renton said:

I was actually thinking that.

I am eligible to participate in the vaccine trial OR be part of an antibody survey. Not sure tbh, a bit of a hassle. I'm bound to be given the placebo arm if I do the trial, or turn into a zombie, and I'm pretty certain I haven't been infected so the antibody study is pointless to me from a personal pov. Both require a fair bit of blood work, so not pleasant. On the other hand, I feel a bit of a hypocrite not volunteering. 

Get yourself signed up man Board Short Barry. 

Why are the BBC showing a documentary in prime time about how bad the Coronavirus outbreak has been in New York when the UK has the worst death rate in the world? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Alex said:

Why are the BBC showing a documentary in prime time about how bad the Coronavirus outbreak has been in New York when the UK has the worst death rate in the world? 

Oh look , squirrel!…

Distract the masses from our own shit show by showing another. 

Piss poor timing though, concentrating on the “Wuhan Flu” when the country in question is about to descend into outright civil war. 

No Coronavirus deaths in Spain today. So given we were about 3 weeks behind them and had more warning we can expect the same story here by about midsummer’s day presumably 

Edited by Alex
  • Haha 1

It would appear that Cumming’s cottage in Durham has no planning permission, nor is it registered for council tax. 

https://universalcreditsuffer.com/2020/05/31/cummings-spare-cottage-without-planning-permission-and-pays-no-council-tax/?fbclid=IwAR32opRzMUA0bwH1UW35R470wjimZvrZJfD6j6Ef95tuQqV54Fn5FKxQ7uc

(also, the main property has been extensively enlarged with similar lack of proper planning)

• Like 1

Social distancing is definitely away to fuck in a lot of cases. If they reopen the pubs, restaurants and cafes any time soon then we’re completely fucked.

Saying that, on Saturday I had my first pub pint (Heverlee) in months and it was amazing.

loads of big groups sat in my local park today. all the adults sitting 2m apart while the kids run around playing together - what's the point? games of football, bbqs. felt like a bank holiday weekend. i'm still making all my family stop and walk out of the way of people or on to the road if needed to keep the 2m distance but so few people are bothering now i'm starting to wonder if there's any point.

i didn't send the little one back to school today. 12 of her 15 classmates went back - the classes are staggered and smaller than usual so they can enforce social distancing. at play time, they're all given a box of toys and are instructed to sit in a circle on their own 

30 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

loads of big groups sat in my local park today. all the adults sitting 2m apart while the kids run around playing together - what's the point? games of football, bbqs. felt like a bank holiday weekend. i'm still making all my family stop and walk out of the way of people or on to the road if needed to keep the 2m distance but so few people are bothering now i'm starting to wonder if there's any point.

i didn't send the little one back to school today. 12 of her 15 classmates went back - the classes are staggered and smaller than usual so they can enforce social distancing. at play time, they're all given a box of toys and are instructed to sit in a circle on their own 

Sharing toys etc won't be allowed in September either, may as well get used to it. 15 classmates though?  Are your kids at a private school Gloom?

6 minutes ago, Renton said:

Sharing toys etc won't be allowed in September either, may as well get used to it. 15 classmates though?  Are your kids at a private school Gloom?

No, It isn’t a private school - there are usually 30 kids in my daughter’s class. They are smaller than usual and staggered so social distancing can be enforced. 

I don’t think our school is equipped to enforce social distancing rules if/when all the kids are back in September even with smaller/staggered classes. The school is just too small with too many kids.