Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

4 minutes ago, Tdansmith said:

over 42,000 have died, government seem to be given themselves a pat on the back ffs ! 

It’s a lot more than that 

1 minute ago, Alex said:

It’s a lot more than that 

Aye, they've given themselves a congratulatory game of soggy biscuit.

Oh, you meant the number of deaths? Agreed. 

When they say under level three, the virus is now considered to be "in general circulation" 

as previously it was "high or rising exponentially" how can they know this for sure without everyone having a test ? 

Are they just guessing ? 

4 minutes ago, Tdansmith said:

You are most likely correct, i was just quoting the official numbers.

I know. But it’s just those who died having tested positive. Even the ONS figures are significantly higher. That takes into account those where COVID is mentioned on the death certificate. The excess deaths, ie the figure above the expected deaths is quite a lot higher again at over 63,000. Not trying to have a go at you, I just think the more people talking about those utterly shameful figures the better. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tdansmith said:

When they say under level three, the virus is now considered to be "in general circulation" 

as previously it was "high or rising exponentially" how can they know this for sure without everyone having a test ? 

Are they just guessing ? 

The latter seems to be their default position

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tdansmith said:

Are they just guessing ? 

Not guessing. There are ongoing ONS antigen surveys which gives rise to R and prevalence estimates. Theres an algorithm these values are fed into to establish the national risk level, although I don't think that was published (it should be). I think this is entirely the correct way to proceed. The problem is in the last few weeks the politicians have vetoed the scientists and de facto reduced the alert level anyway, when the sums didn't add up.That is extremely dangerous. Will they reverse the level if R and prevalence increases? I very much doubt it. 

Make no mistake, Johnson's handling of the situation is fucking appalling , as international comparisons testify.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Alex said:

I know. But it’s just those who died having tested positive. Even the ONS figures are significantly higher. That takes into account those where COVID is mentioned on the death certificate. The excess deaths, ie the figure above the expected deaths is quite a lot higher again at over 63,000. Not trying to have a go at you, I just think the more people talking about those utterly shameful figures the better. 

Excess deaths is the figure to watch 

Seems like this government have gone full Trump - apple have basically called Hancock a liar over the app and now they're claiming that that shitshow of a flight of PPE from Turkey was ordered by a trust and had nowt to do with them and there no paper trail for it. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Tdansmith said:

Review of 2m social distancing rule 'due within days'

Is this just to get pubs and restaurants open ?

Meanwhile Brazil see infections pass a million.

That, and it’s cheaper to bury people than pay them. 

• Like 2

I knew it as soon as I’d seen who posted :lol: I’m trying to think where the fuck I saw one not long ago that was charging £2.99. Three fucking quid! 

Edited by Alex
  • Haha 2