Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

It's just on the news today that people who've been confirmed to have had it have undetectable antibody levels within 3 months. 

How do you design a vaccine in the face of that news? Or is a vaccine more than just giving people the antibodies? 

13 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

It's just on the news today that people who've been confirmed to have had it have undetectable antibody levels within 3 months. 

How do you design a vaccine in the face of that news? Or is a vaccine more than just giving people the antibodies? 

You can get T cell immunity as well but this is not good news. Looks like a vaccine would require multiple courses and probably annual renewal. 

• Jaysus... 1

26 minutes ago, Tdansmith said:

PM says face masks ‘should be worn’ in shops

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53388444

Nice to have such clear, decisive policy from our strong and capable government. 

( the wind is due to change direction tomorrow, so he’ll say they’re not needed then.). 

25 minutes ago, Renton said:

You can get T cell immunity as well but this is not good news. Looks like a vaccine would require multiple courses and probably annual renewal. 

Not sure if this is true but I was told by a mate at the weekend if they manage to develop a vaccine it’ll be the fastest vaccine ever developed. :lol: 

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Not sure if this is true but I was told by a mate at the weekend if they manage to develop a vaccine it’ll be the fastest vaccine ever developed. :lol: 

Yep, they take multiple years typically.

Vaccination fag packet calculation:

If it takes 5 mins to vaccinate someone, and then you need to vaccinate everyone in the UK, that's 65 million x 5 minutes, which works out at circa 2.25 million vaccination days (at 12 hour days) and then if you have 8680 vaccination centres working those 12 hr days 5 days a week, you could vaccinate everyone in a year. (there's 7600 GP practices in UK -ish).

Then if there's an annual booster needed.............................

65 Million People at 5 mins each = 325 Million Minutes = 27.1 Million Hours = 2.257 Million days = 451K Weeks

8 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

You can knock off a third of that for the dipshits that say they won't get the vaccination. 

I'll have the jab but you can stick your microchip ;)

4 hours ago, Toonpack said:

Yep, they take multiple years typically.

Vaccination fag packet calculation:

If it takes 5 mins to vaccinate someone, and then you need to vaccinate everyone in the UK, that's 65 million x 5 minutes, which works out at circa 2.25 million vaccination days (at 12 hour days) and then if you have 8680 vaccination centres working those 12 hr days 5 days a week, you could vaccinate everyone in a year. (there's 7600 GP practices in UK -ish).

Then if there's an annual booster needed.............................

65 Million People at 5 mins each = 325 Million Minutes = 27.1 Million Hours = 2.257 Million days = 451K Weeks

It won’t be nearly as complicated as all that. 25 million people were offered the flu jab last year in the UK and flu jabs don’t seem to cause capacity issues. If, say, 75% of people are offered it, then that is around 50 million so shouldn’t be too much of a problem given the extra capacity they’ll put on. You can get the flu jab in loads of places too (Boots, for instance). 

Face masks to be made mandatory in shops from the 28th July apparently. About time, but now we have a situation whereby you will need a covering for shops and supermarkets, but won't need them inside a pub. Oooh, they're making it up as they go along etc.... 

It’s fucking disgraceful when you see the BBC talk about the conflicting scientific advice. As though nothing has changed in the last four-five months or so. And because the effectiveness of mask wearing back then wasn’t clear, it means the government have an excuse for taking so long to cotton on. Again. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Why the 28th July?

What happens on that date that means we need them?

If we need masks in shops, we need them now and the fuckers need to say so. 

apparently the virus must become a lot more contagious on that date :ph34r:

I think it pretty much sums up England in 2020 that a potentially life-saving philanthropic act during a global pandemic needs to be made compulsory 

• Like 1

My mistake, it's the 24th, a random Friday.

Anybody been to pubs yet? I've been to a couple of beer gardens, felt fine. Also had a meal at Foxhunters in Monkseaton, they were taking it very serious there, full masks and visors, ordering by app only, tables very well spaced. But of course whilst it makes it safer it also constantly reminds you of the dangers and it is so clinical it's off putting. Won't be repeating. Don't think its viable either, their turnover must be down more than 50%.

I went to a pub yesterday and the barmaid said she wasn't serving me until I put a mask on.

I explained that I didn't have to wear one in a pub.

She she yes you do because you are an ugly git ! 

48 minutes ago, Renton said:

My mistake, it's the 24th, a random Friday.

Anybody been to pubs yet? I've been to a couple of beer gardens, felt fine. Also had a meal at Foxhunters in Monkseaton, they were taking it very serious there, full masks and visors, ordering by app only, tables very well spaced. But of course whilst it makes it safer it also constantly reminds you of the dangers and it is so clinical it's off putting. Won't be repeating. Don't think its viable either, their turnover must be down more than 50%.

Not that I go to pubs much these days anyway (which is one reason the "life's back to normal everyone, pubs and shops are back!" narrative from on high is quite galling - give me running events and non-essential rail travel and off-West-End experimental musical theatre and then we can talk, dahling), but I definitely don't feel any great urge to go to an indoor pub or restaurant setting for as long as very visible precautions need to be in place. I'm sure some people are capable of switching off that part of their brain and enjoying themselves regardless, but I'm not. :lol:  It's not even about the actual risk really - having a takeaway round at a friend's house is probably just as "bad" - it's the quality of the experience.

• Like 1