Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

is anyone sticking to this? My wife arranged weeks ago to see the MIL for lunch tomorrow. She's still going. It literally makes no sense to me that you can meet a stranger in a restaurant but not a family member. I'm still going to see my sister and parents at their house when I need to. I'll go back to wearing a mask and doing all the relevant hygiene, but no way can I not see them at this point in their lives. Call it breaking the rules in a specific and limited way. Or doing a Barnard Castle.

Edited by Renton
  • Like 1

In a similar vein, technically I should rebook my train ticket and go back to London today before the restrictions come in, since I'm not meant to be staying with my parents now. But given that I've already been doing so for three days and literally nothing will be changing in terms of the risk we do or don't pose to each other or to others, we're also going to apply the Barnard Castle Exemption, funnily enough.

• Like 1

I understand the motivation behind the rule of six. They’re trying to get ahead of the virus, keep the economy open as much as possible, with localised rather than another national lockdown.

But the messaging is so confused and contradictory. Mixing with hundreds of people in pubs, offices and schools = that’s fine. Family over for Sunday dinner = a big fine 

My brother's 50 in October, we've booked flights to Edinburgh for a family gathering which will be undoubtedly more than 6 people. I went to the end of our road last night where there were 30  or so strangers sat inside/outside of pub there. I've not been in it this year. I'm fucked if I'm cancelling more flights :glare:

More generally, someone pointed out that in England 30 people could get together to shoot ducks but 7 kids couldn’t gather together to feed ducks. In a similar vein, the notion one set of grandparents coming round to ours would already breach the restrictions whilst going to the pub is fine is just ridiculous. 

11 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

My brother's 50 in October, we've booked flights to Edinburgh for a family gathering which will be undoubtedly more than 6 people. I went to the end of our road last night where there were 30  or so strangers sat inside/outside of pub there. I've not been in it this year. I'm fucked if I'm cancelling more flights :glare:

just meet in the pub. or have a picnic on a train 

• Haha 2

If cases are being linked to the hospitality industry then what does closing at 10pm solve? I’m old enough to remember the old Sunday opening hours and people just hoyed more drink down their throats in less time. It’s just a nonsense 

Newcastle MP Catherine McKinnell made Johnson look a cunt at the liaison committee yesterday by pointing out that it's easier for a man to go on a grouse shoot or to the pub than it is to go with his wife to a growth scan. 

1 minute ago, Alex said:

If cases are being linked to the hospitality industry then what does closing at 10pm solve? I’m old enough to remember the old Sunday opening hours and people just hoyed more drink down their throats in less time. It’s just a nonsense 

£2 BLASTAWAYS IN CIRCUS CIRCUS! 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Just got back from Edinburgh, train virtually empty there and back. Still quite busy in Edinburgh but they are much better organised than England, it's masks in all venues when you're not sitting at your table. Much clearer systems of working and everyone was sticking to it. Most places still open aswell. Great city.

Edited by Anorthernsoul
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

Just got back from Edinburgh, train virtually empty there and back. Still quite busy in Edinburgh but they are much better organised than England, it's masks in all venues when you're not sitting at your table. Much clearer systems of working and everyone was sticking to it. Most places still open aswell. Great city.

This, exactly same in the borders, all organised and everyone playing by the rules

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tdansmith said:

What a horrible stuck up twat Rees-mogg is.

Needless to say, when one of his kids needed a test recently, they got one... 

Coronavirus: Rees-Mogg self-isolating after child tested https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54103002

Article doesn’t clarify if it was Perfidious or Manglesplatt who was infected but you get the idea...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

:lol:

People believe that stuff too. They’re so used to provoked outrage after Brexit that they question nothing that’s put in front of them :lol: 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Needless to say, when one of his kids needed a test recently, they got one... 

Coronavirus: Rees-Mogg self-isolating after child tested https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54103002

Article doesn’t clarify if it was Perfidious or Manglesplatt who was infected but you get the idea...

Evidently all the twats attending Eton, got tested on arrival !!

Matt Hancock telling people we can avoid a second wave if we do what we’re told, after a second wave became imminent due to people doing what they were told 

• Like 2