Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

So Boris has said "the 2nd wave is on it's way" Why not get try & get ahead of it now I.e. full National Lockdown rather than wait for it to happen. Straining the NHS then saying "oh bugger we better have a Lockdown" I know there'll be economic repercussions, but surely it'll work out cheaper in the long run to lockdown than have the NHS working absolutely flat out undoubtedly needing more & more equipment needing to be bought in. I always felt the Lockdown was lifted to early it probably needed another month. Maybe's if they'd held out that extra month we could have been well ahead of this by now. But what do I know ?

20 minutes ago, trooper said:

So Boris has said "the 2nd wave is on it's way" Why not get try & get ahead of it now I.e. full National Lockdown rather than wait for it to happen. Straining the NHS then saying "oh bugger we better have a Lockdown" I know there'll be economic repercussions, but surely it'll work out cheaper in the long run to lockdown than have the NHS working absolutely flat out undoubtedly needing more & more equipment needing to be bought in. I always felt the Lockdown was lifted to early it probably needed another month. Maybe's if they'd held out that extra month we could have been well ahead of this by now. But what do I know ?

Like I posted earlier, it's definitely going to happen within the next couple of weeks.

3 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

Like I posted earlier, it's definitely going to happen within the next couple of weeks.

If they wait 2 weeks by then we could be seeing about 16,000 new infections a day. As it looks like the infection rates are doubling every 7 days at the minute & that's with a fifth of the country under loose local Lockdowns. A full National Lockdown with curfews, if shops are shut at 10pm there's really no need for people to be on the streets is there ? 

Messaging from Hancock on Marr earlier was all about people following the rules. If you do as you’re told, we might avoid a second national lockdown, in other words. A blatant attempt to shift the blame away from the government’s failures and its contradictory and confused messaging. He even managed it with a straight face.

Go to work, eat out to help out, get on a train, a bus - go to the cinema, a pub, a theme park. But whatever you do, don’t invite your family over for dinner otherwise we’ll have to take your freedom away again.

Oh, and there’s a 10k fine heading your way if you step out for some fresh air while self isolating. Unless you’re a responsible parent - in that case you can drive from London to Durham.

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Messaging from Hancock on Marr earlier was all about people following the rules. If you do as we’re told, we might avoid a second national lockdown, in other words. A blatant attempt to shift the blame away from the government’s failures and its contradictory and confused messaging. He even managed it with a straight face.

Go to work, eat out to help out, get on a train, a bus - go to the cinema, a pub, a theme park. But whatever you do, don’t invite your family over for dinner otherwise we’ll have to take your freedom away again.

Oh, and there’s a 10k fine heading your way if you step out for some fresh air while self isolating. Unless you’re a responsible parent - in that case you can drive from London to Durham.

That's the one constant from the shambles of a government, leaving themselves an avenue to relinquish responsibility whenever it's possible.

Disgraceful.

From the Daily Star

PM to 'make TV address to nation and 'introduce circuit break lockdown'

The announcement could reportedly come as soon as Tuesday. Prime Minister Boris Johnson earlier warned that the UK is facing a second wave of Covid-19 as the infection rate rises

The Prime Minister has spoken with advisers about dropping the rule of six to impose a social lockdown, which could be implemented within days, it is claimed

Proposals being worked up for such a “circuit break” could see the hospitality sector, which includes bars and restaurants, shut.

schools and workplaces would remain open.

1 hour ago, trooper said:

From the Daily Star

The announcement could reportedly come as soon as Tuesday. Prime Minister Boris Johnson earlier warned that the UK is facing a second wave of Covid-19 as the infection rate rises

The Prime Minister has spoken with advisers about dropping the rule of six to impose a social lockdown, which could be implemented within days, it is claimed

Proposals being worked up for such a “circuit break” could see the hospitality sector, which includes bars and restaurants, shut.

If that’s what they think is necessary it’s stupid delaying it

1 hour ago, trooper said:

From the Daily Star

Like I said, it's happening.

Here's something Miss T (teacher) was told at the end of June. Just after the Lockdown was lifted

To prepare 2 weeks extra work for the children to be able to work from home with after the October half term, as we'd be in a 2nd Lockdown. I  know the timing is out by a few weeks but it's almost like it was known.

Tbf it was predicted in the first lancet paper 6 months ago. And many subsequent waves/lockdowns until a vaccine is widely administered.

The only alternative, herd immunity, is out the window now we know fit and healthy people can get long Covid and be fucked long term 

Edited by Kid Dynamite

50 minutes ago, trooper said:

Here's something Miss T (teacher) was told at the end of June. Just after the Lockdown was lifted

To prepare 2 weeks extra work for the children to be able to work from home with after the October half term, as we'd be in a 2nd Lockdown. I  know the timing is out by a few weeks but it's almost like it was known.

None of the teachers I know were told that.

34 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Tbf it was predicted in the first lancet paper 6 months ago. And many subsequent waves/lockdowns until a vaccine is widely administered.

The only alternative, herd immunity, is out the window now we know fit and healthy people can get long Covid and be fucked long term 

The reasons for the 2nd wave imho are lifting the lockdown to early. Also people became complacent thinking the lockdowns lifted the virus must be gone. 

16 minutes ago, Renton said:

Say goodbye to everything pleasurable in life for 6 months. Not sure how many hospitality businesses will be viable after that time either tbh. 

i can understand why the government is reluctant to extend furlough indefinitely for all industries. but it has to continue to support some sectors. hospitality the obvious one.