Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

44 minutes ago, trooper said:

There's a good reason to think it is. I posted an article from The Guardian the other day this was from it.

The number of schools in England badly affected by Covid-19 cases among students and staff has quadrupled in the space of a week, and the number of pupils absent rose by 50%, according to estimates released by the Department for Education.

It went on to say close on 1,000 schools in England were affected. With 600,000 pupils absent because of covid related issues. 

Heres the article 

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/sep/22/covid-19-number-of-schools-in-england-not-fully-open-quadruples

Far from conclusive 

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/children-and-school-settings-covid-19-transmission

38 minutes ago, trooper said:

Agreed "we cant Lockdown forever" But we could Lockdown for a month to try & get a bit of a head start on it. I can just picture Whitty & Valance shaking their heads as that stupid twat obviously ignored their advice. Which undoubtedly would have been for a full lockdown. 

Yeah, I dunno if that’s true. Vallance talked specifically about balancing public health with protecting mental health and jobs. 

I don’t think anyone really wants another lockdown. It’s fucking shit, lets be frank.

Edited by Dr Gloom

12 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Yeah, I dunno if that’s true. Vallance talked specifically about balancing public health with protecting mental health and jobs. 

I don’t think anyone really wants another lockdown. It’s fucking shit, lets be frank.

It is shit I missed the kids & grandkids terribly. But I'm willing to give it another go for all our sakes. It's the only way of fighting back at the minute. 

14 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

My response to people that say "Sweden didn't have a lockdown and their death rate was tiny" is "Florida didn't have a proper lockdown and their death rate is fucking massive!"

Your response should be, as I said yesterday, that they have the 11st worst rate in the world.

13 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

I was reading that the main source of transmission is coming from households mixing. Hospitality is a tiny piece of the pie

Was it specifically households mixing? I keep hearing ‘household transmission’ which I assumed to mean one person spreading it to others in their house. Which seems to obviously be the highest rate of transmission. It seems to be a line to deflect attention from calls to close pubs.

Aye, the students were drifting back into Durham last week too.  Houses parties all over the shop.  Safe to say the next few weeks at work are going to be interesting for us poor saps who work at the University :rolleyes:

I personally think there might be something in the Cummins video @wykikitoonposted. The data is all legitimately sourced and the patterns are undeniable.

Now. Hospitalisations and deaths have started to rise again (as yet at nothing like the rate we saw previously, particularly deaths), so it remains to be seen whether his argument holds. 

But you can't just dismiss it if you can't even be fucked to watch it. And btw I'm not changing my behaviours based on the video. So I'm not some weird covid denier or anti lockdown person, I'm just saying that the data is the data and his interpretations of the data appear sound. 

54 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Was it specifically households mixing? I keep hearing ‘household transmission’ which I assumed to mean one person spreading it to others in their house. Which seems to obviously be the highest rate of transmission. It seems to be a line to deflect attention from calls to close pubs.

People from different households meeting indoors, not paying attention to social distancing, I suppose. You could pick the virus up on public transport, in a pub, a shop, your workplace, but then perhaps the infected person is more likely to spread it around in someone’s house where people are more relaxed, not wearing masks or paying as much attention to social distancing? Dunno 

I’m of the view that pubs and restaurants probably should close eventually, but only if hospitality businesses get the targeted support they need or they’re all going under by Christmas 

Btw if you're someone with chronic disease or risk factors who can't be talked out of going to the pub, then fuck you and enjoy your ventilator. You drive past pubs and see stupid old cunts with massive kites having a tab before they go back in. Sorry like but you were warned and you were too stupid. 

• Like 2

A friend of my wife invited us to a ‘gathering’ in her back garden last weekend. Thankfully we declined as it ended up with about 70/80 people in a small marquee. Since then at least ten people I know of at the party have tested positive. Most of them have shown no symptoms and so the organiser feels justified and more than ever believes that the whole thing is ‘bullshit’. I nearly would like to see someone close to her get seriously ill just to prove a point.

31 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I personally think there might be something in the Cummins video @wykikitoonposted. The data is all legitimately sourced and the patterns are undeniable.

Now. Hospitalisations and deaths have started to rise again (as yet at nothing like the rate we saw previously, particularly deaths), so it remains to be seen whether his argument holds. 

But you can't just dismiss it if you can't even be fucked to watch it. And btw I'm not changing my behaviours based on the video. So I'm not some weird covid denier or anti lockdown person, I'm just saying that the data is the data and his interpretations of the data appear sound. 

Look at Gemmill defending the high fat, low carb advocate. You really are shameless

51 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

People from different households meeting indoors, not paying attention to social distancing, I suppose. You could pick the virus up on public transport, in a pub, a shop, your workplace, but then perhaps the infected person is more likely to spread it around in someone’s house where people are more relaxed, not wearing masks or paying as much attention to social distancing? Dunno 

Having said that, I think you’re right. It probably was household transmission, rather than households mixing, which is also probably a much smaller piece of the pie. One person most likely picks it up in an indoor space then spreads it around their household. 

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

I’m of the view that pubs and restaurants probably should close eventually, but only if hospitality businesses get the targeted support they need or they’re all going under by Christmas 

I went to Nando's yesterday and they have it totally sorted.

- You get in a virtual queue online and they alert you when your table is ready so you can avoid queuing outside 

- Food is ordered online once you sit down 

- Table service only 

- You pay online once you're finished

- The whole thing is socially distanced and anyone moving around wears a mask

Compare that to pubs where no fucker is in a mask and everyone is queuing at the bar. 

You can open shops, restaurants, gyms, cinemas, theatres, outdoor venues etc perfectly safely if done properly. It's the pubs and universities that are going to make this much worse than it needs to be 

Edited by Kid Dynamite

3 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I went to Nando's yesterday and they have it totally sorted.

- You get in a virtual queue online and they alert you when your table is ready so you can avoid queuing outside 

- Food is ordered online once you sit down 

- Table service only 

- You pay online once you're finished

- The whole thing is socially distanced and anyone moving around where's a mask

Compare that to pubs where no fucker is in a mask and everyone is queuing at the bar. 

You can open shops, restaurants, gyms, cinemas, theatres, outdoor venues etc perfectly safely if done properly. It's the pubs and universities that are going to make this much worse than it needs to be 

My experience of pubs has been similar to how you describe Nando's. Table service only, drinks ordered through an app. Bar staff in masks. The only bit I felt uneasy with was the toilets, where social distancing was impossible because half the urinals were closed.

Lots of the businesses you mention have done a great job at reopening under the covid secure guidelines but if cases continue to rise exponentially they are all almost certain to close at some point. 

Theatres need targeted support too. Reduced capacity needed to ensure social distancing makes it unsustainable. It’s an industry in serious trouble. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

No doubt the 2nd wave is going to be a different beast. The first wave was largely nursing home patients, public sector workers still at work etc. The younger population was largely unaffected as they were all sat in the house for 3 months watching telly

This time every kid between 4-16 and a big chunk in college and uni between 16-21 are mingling with zero PPE. And you've then got a big chunk of working age folk circulating in pubs and shops without masks on.

And whether you think Covid has a negligible effect on under 65s or not, given the rate of asymptomatic patients, we are very quickly going to end up with this fucking the elderly population and those with long term health conditions through no fault of their own. Which will then fuck the NHS over as it collapses under the weight of winter pressures 

The only answer, IMO, is to get Stalinist about mask wearing, keep most of the economy open and direct funding towards those parts of the economy that can't be safely left open (pubs etc)

As for the schools? I haven't got a fucking clue how to solve that one 

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

My experience of pubs has been similar to how you describe Nando's. Table service only, drinks ordered through an app. Bar staff in masks. The only bit I felt uneasy with was the toilets, where social distancing was impossible because half the urinals were closed.

Lots of the businesses you mention have done a great job at reopening under the covid secure guidelines but if cases continue to rise exponentially they are all almost certain to close at some point. 

Theatres need targeted support too. Reduced capacity needed to ensure social distancing makes it unsustainable. It’s an industry in serious trouble. 

Pubs in a lockdown area maybe. I've said it before, I walked past a ton of pubs in York 3 weeks ago and it was shoulder to shoulder inside. A big, sweaty, heaving, infectious mess 

I haven’t seen anything like that down here. I’ve been to maybe half a dozen pubs since summer and they all played it by the book. You have to book a table to get in, leave your contact details,  no bar service etc 

26 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Pubs in a lockdown area maybe. I've said it before, I walked past a ton of pubs in York 3 weeks ago and it was shoulder to shoulder inside. A big, sweaty, heaving, infectious mess 

I live in London. Not a lockdown area.

The scene in York is an entirely predictable response to the 10pm curfew. 

You either close pubs or you keep them open. This half-arsed measure will achieve nothing.