Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

1 hour ago, Meenzer said:

Isn't this just how it was already anyway, just framed as a law rather than as guidance? Either way, I expect it to be observed and enforced about as rigorously as it has been so far :lol: 

You go to the pub to meet your mates. We may as well just shut the pubs now as ANS says. I do think it will be enforced mind. Don't know if its true but I've heard that on 5% of infections have been linked to hospitality,.so it will do squat all. Yes Gemmill, schools and universities are the major spreaders, along with work. 

Public health officials have upped the city’s Covid-19 alert system to the highest possible level, amid a continuing spike in cases.

City council bosses say that they are now in ‘red plus’ mode, with Newcastle now having one of the highest infection rates in the country.

7 hours ago, Gemmill said:

8,000 pupils and 350 teachers self isolating in Liverpool alone. 

Keeping schools open isn't working lads. 

The bairn started secondary school a couple of weeks ago. Within 3 days we were notified that 3 6th formers had tested positive and the whole of 6th form had to isolate whilst they waited on guidance from PHE which they couldn’t get because it was the weekend. A few days later one of the kids in J’s year tested positive. The guidance was for kids that had been in his immediate contact to isolate for 2 weeks but the rest of the year could come in. Siblings of the isolating kids were still instructed to come in as normal. It’s a shitshow. 

Icing on the cake was when the bairn came back from his dad with symptoms. I was pretty convinced it was a heavy cold but also shitting myself. I also had to break the news that his/our lovely cat had died over that weekend and spent the next couple of hours consoling him while he covered me in tears and snot while I literally held my breath as much as possible. Ended up getting him a test through work which was negative. My second thought, after the relief, was the thought that if I ended up catching the fucking thing via school after intubating Covid-+ve patients for 6 months then I’d be raging. 

• Like 6

The workplace issue has been so badly handled. People perfectly capable of working from home being more or less bullied into going back with the government suggesting people could lose their jobs if they didn’t. It’s absolutely obvious spending c. 40 hours a week with people without PPE, sharing toilets, kitchens and other communal areas and so on was bound to lead to more infections. You can see the argument for schools reopening whether you agree with it or not but why people who could work from home were being encouraged not to is just another example of gross negligence. Universities too. It’s shite for students if they miss out on the social side but at the same time, it’s not like loafing about and partying whilst doing a pointless degree (which, if we’re being honest applies to fucking loads of them) is a necessity or the human right it’s almost being made out to be. It’s having an impact on a lot of middle class white kids though so it’s the end of the world. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Carl said:

What else can schools do though if they aren't allowed to shut ? 

I’m absolutely not school-bashing - they’re doing absolutely everything they can. Positive cases are inevitable and we just have to accept that. The alternative of going back to home-schooling would genuinely tip me over the edge and I’ve got a child who would get himself up in the morning and crack on with schoolwork without being hassled. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NJS said:

They started the go back to work thing when 1. They thought it was beaten and 2. Property based donors arses started to twitch. They really are incompetent, callous scum. 

They started when there was still 1k-2k per week still getting infected. Spain, France & Germany were in the low hundreds .

11 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

They started when there was still 1k-2k per week still getting infected. Spain, France & Germany were in the low hundreds .

Unlocked too early if they'd waited another couple of weeks at least.  

16 hours ago, Alex said:

People seem to be behaving in a less cautious manner than they were before the tighter restrictions were brought in up here so I can see this going down like a wet fart. Amongst the ever diminishing number of people even trying to follow whatever the fuck the restrictions are anyway 

It's crazy, all along I've applied my own rules and been extremely risk averse (way more so than just staying "alert") shit I even unilaterally locked down 3 weeks before the Gov't said shit (I work with French/Spanish folks) so understood what was coming, yet I can't undertake a very low risk visit (or be visited) to/by family but I can go to the pub. I am no less cautious, yet loads are, have been all along and will continue to be. As I said before, they can fuck off, I'll continue to be extremely careful and will abide by my own strict rules.

On the subject of the French/Spanish folks - we weren't ever properly locked down to start with, compared to what they went through.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, trooper said:

Unlocked too early if they'd waited another couple of weeks at least.  

Locked down too late, didn't lock down properly AND opened back up too early, everything was a shambles.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

On the subject of the French/Spanish folks - we weren't ever properly locked down to start with, compared to what they went through.

Aye, I thought that at the time and it's hilarious seeing all the L1B3RTY!!!1! QAnon bedwetters in Trafalgar Square acting as if we've ever had it remotely as bad as what they did even then, never mind now.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Locked down too late, didn't lock down properly AND opened back up too early, everything was a shambles.

Your right my mate who lives in Spain was telling me they had 1 designated person who did the shopping picked up prescriptions etc per household. None of these family trips out to the shops like we've seen here. When they unlocked here as PL says infections were still between 1 & 2 k per day. Yet a lot of people thought ah well that's it gone then let's get back to normal. Family shopping trips little or no social distancing. The same ones are probably moaning about the tighter restrictions being brought in now. Admittedly it doesnt help when you've a mumbling bumbling fool running the country. The same one who seems to disregard the advice from his medical advisors. 

10 minutes ago, trooper said:

Your right my mate who lives in Spain was telling me they had 1 designated person who did the shopping picked up prescriptions etc per household. None of these family trips out to the shops like we've seen here. When they unlocked here as PL says infections were still between 1 & 2 k per day. Yet a lot of people thought ah well that's it gone then let's get back to normal. Family shopping trips little or no social distancing. The same ones are probably moaning about the tighter restrictions being brought in now. Admittedly it doesnt help when you've a mumbling bumbling fool running the country. The same one who seems to disregard the advice from his medical advisors. 

France was fill out a form with time you left house, where you were going and why, only one person in a car etc. Polis were everywhere checking, if you were off route you were fined on the spot.

• Like 1

The only chance of a proper lockdown again is if the hospitals look like they're going to become overwhelmed. At the moment the admissions rate is just below 300 per day and that's manageable so I wouldn't expect any proper change in the rules for a while.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

France was fill out a form with time you left house, where you were going and why, only one person in a car etc. Polis were everywhere checking, if you were off route you were fined on the spot.

Either Spain or France had people offering to take dogs for walks as it was one of the only ways of leaving the house.

27 minutes ago, Renton said:

Does beg the question why rates are currently so bad in these countries? But still low in Italy and Germany. We should have taken advantage in being an island mind. 

You could see it spreading all over Europe. Rather than stopping travel in & out of the country, Boris chose to watch it coming. Then said we'd try "herd immunity" then shit his pants when he eventually realised the severity of the virus. Genuine questions, given we have these new tighter restrictions in the North East how long should it be before we are  able to see if they're working ? Also have tighter restrictions imposed on Leicester worked ?

Edited by trooper

I have no idea what the rules are like.

Im not gonna be daft enough to wander into pubs etc but I just want to know if I can go for a socially distanced walk with a friend from another household but nobody has the answer. :lol: 

18 minutes ago, Tom said:

Im not gonna be daft enough to wander into pubs etc but I just want to know if I can go for a socially distanced walk with a friend from another household but nobody has the answer. :lol: 

Neither has this pissed cunt:

16 minutes ago, Tom said:

You'd think she'd know like it's crazy. Mind you the whole lot has been a complete shambles Boris with his "do this but dont do this" & "do that but dont do that"