Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

20 hours ago, Alex said:

It’s shite for students if they miss out on the social side but at the same time, it’s not like loafing about and partying whilst doing a pointless degree (which, if we’re being honest applies to fucking loads of them) is a necessity or the human right it’s almost being made out to be. It’s having an impact on a lot of middle class white kids though so it’s the end of the world. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Meenzer said:

Aye, I thought that at the time and it's hilarious seeing all the L1B3RTY!!!1! QAnon bedwetters in Trafalgar Square acting as if we've ever had it remotely as bad as what they did even then, never mind now.

I can’t remember where I read it but someone was saying all these people banging on about it don’t love freedom, they just dislike inconvenience. 

On 29/09/2020 at 11:31, trooper said:

Genuine questions, given we have these new tighter restrictions in the North East how long should it be before we are  able to see if they're working ? Also have tighter restrictions imposed on Leicester worked ?

Only one area that has had special restrictions enforced has come out of those restrictions (Luton). So obviously they aren’t working very well.

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Thread. 

I think it was pointed out today the death rate today was the same as two days BEFORE we went into lockdown? That's pretty alarming and I didn't see any optimism in Vallance or Whitty. 

i think it's time to change tact here, everyone with a pre existing condition needs to isolate with the rest of the population going back to normal, many sectors of the economy are on the brink and the current "cure" is worse than the disease 

Do you suggest that those with pre-existing conditions confine themselves to a single room for the next six months? Or should their whole family isolate? How many people would that be isolating?

What counts as a preexisting condition? And can these be diagnosed post hoc after admission or even death? I would think most people middle aged and older have something wrong with them. 

Also, what do we do with the rest of the population without pre-existing conditions who end up requiring hospitalisation? Just because you won't die from it doesn't mean that you won't become seriously ill.

i'm not sure we should go back to normal - it's still a serious and unpleasant illness, whether you die from it or not. it's not really fair to demand vulnerable people self isolate indefinitely either. 

increasingly i agree that we need to try to keep things as open as we can. problem is it isn't sustainable without a fully functioning test and trace system, which we still don't have. 

Also there's data to suggest long covid is not associated with either the severity of the infection or age. If just 1% of young people get serious long term illness that's a huge problem. 

5 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Exactly, she also said Cummings should resign so she should go.

It's not on that's her, Corbyn & Boris's dad all in one day . They've broke the law & I bet none of them get a fine. Yet 17,000 fines have been issued in the UK for breaking new restriction laws.

Edited by trooper