Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

Even in Liverpool though you can still go to the pub if you have a meal, you can still travel out the area. Feels like we are doing the bare minimum to me, if that. And as evidenced a lot of people don’t even think there is a problem any more because Vallance's projection hasn't been realised yet. 87 hospital deaths yesterday. 

1 hour ago, Renton said:

I'm not actively on Twitter so not able to respond to him, but since when does being an ICU doctor qualify you in mathematics or epidemiology? Viral spread is by definition exponential, not linear. It will always be exponential when R is above 1. But R is much lower than in March so will be flatter, might even appear linear if you force the data. I'd add another difference this time is regional variation, taking aggregated data of the country as a whole masks the issue happening in the North. 

You're a qualified accountant aren't you? I assumed you needed quite a good understanding of maths to do this? :whistle:

I'm certainly capable of reading a trend line. :razz:

9 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I'm certainly capable of reading a trend line. :razz:

Last rolling week average 373 deaths. 

This rolling week  573 deaths. 

The death rate appears to be doubling every 10 days or so. And its only mid October. 

Edited by Renton

21 minutes ago, trooper said:

Be interesting to see if Boris has got the bollocks to put the North East in tier 3

I'm wondering if the reluctance for the government to include more areas in Tier 3 is because they'll have to pay 2/3 of the wages of the businesses close. I don't know if they have to foot the bill if the decision is made by local authorities.

6 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I'm wondering if the reluctance for the government to include more areas in Tier 3 is because they'll have to pay 2/3 of the wages of the businesses close. I don't know if they have to foot the bill if the decision is made by local authorities.

Its about money. LAs don't have the authority to impose tier levels. 

Isolating! 

7 days done! 7 to go.

Told on Friday by track and trace I'd been in contact with someone on the Tuesday who tested positive on the Friday! 

Got a negative test Friday night (testing was efficient mind) but still have to sit out for 14 days from point of contact! 

8 hours ago, ewerk said:

A short full lockdown is the only way to get this under control. Unfortunately the government is going to leave it far too late and we're going to end up with a longer lockdown than if we did it now.

Just what Starmer has asked for....if Johnson ignores him & things get worse, Johnson looks like a cunt, if Johnson does it (round half term?) it  was Starmer’s idea...

33 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Just what Starmer has asked for....if Johnson ignores him & things get worse, Johnson looks like a cunt, if Johnson does it (round half term?) it  was Starmer’s idea...

I said a couple of weeks ago I thought Boris would gamble & try to get to half term before calling a National Lockdown.  With these minutes from the SAGE meeting 3 weeks ago now made public. It really does look like Boris just pleases himself what he does. He should face a massive backlash now. Questions that need to be asked are. Did YOU choose to ignore the scientific advice ? Or did somebody tell you to ignore it ? 

46 minutes ago, trooper said:

I said a couple of weeks ago I thought Boris would gamble & try to get to half term before calling a National Lockdown.  With these minutes from the SAGE meeting 3 weeks ago now made public. It really does look like Boris just pleases himself what he does. He should face a massive backlash now. Questions that need to be asked are. Did YOU choose to ignore the scientific advice ? Or did somebody tell you to ignore it ? 

Whitty said last night that these tiers wouldn’t work...so Johnson is literally not following the science...

21 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Whitty said last night that these tiers wouldn’t work...so Johnson is literally not following the science...

Tiers of a Clown. 

edit; the opening verse is very apt. 
“Now if there's a smile on my face
It's only there trying to fool the public
But when it comes down to fooling you
Now, honey, that's quite a different subject”

2 hours ago, Ugly Mackems said:

Isolating! 

7 days done! 7 to go.

Told on Friday by track and trace I'd been in contact with someone on the Tuesday who tested positive on the Friday! 

Got a negative test Friday night (testing was efficient mind) but still have to sit out for 14 days from point of contact! 

Lunacy given you tested negative. 

Just now, PaddockLad said:

Two negative tests required apparently.... 

They phoned me yesterday and I asked if i tested again today would it clear me to go back. Nope, got to be 2 weeks from point of contact! Self employed so zero ££ for 10 days. 

That's the key to it imo - too many people either self-employed or on shit wages with no sick pay are too reluctant to isolate. 

Should pay people living wage at least or even use hotels to house people. 

2 hours ago, Ugly Mackems said:

They phoned me yesterday and I asked if i tested again today would it clear me to go back. Nope, got to be 2 weeks from point of contact! Self employed so zero ££ for 10 days. 

So what happens if you go back to work after 10 days and then contact someone again? Another 10 days off ?