Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

It's hard to believe new infections were down to between 1 to 2,000 a day just as Lockdown ended to early imho. Now look were we are back at square one. Boris keeps bleating on about how better prepared we are but did it really have to get to this stage. We could have been in a much stronger position had he just listened to what he was told. It still begs the question why did he ignore the advice  ?

The ONS have just published this 

Daily coronavirus cases in England have increased by around 10,000 to around 27,900, according to latest ONS estimates.

Last week's estimate was 17,200 per day, and the week before 12,600.

There has also been a big jump in the number of people currently infected in England - rising from an estimated 224,400 to 336,500 in a week.

That equates to a jump from 1 in 240, to 1 in 160.

2 hours ago, Renton said:

Nothing else to say? :whistle:

Looks like Vallance and Whitty's predictions were spot on, although too optimistic on the death rate which I pointed out at the time. They were underplaying the gravity of the situation, but have been undermined by the government, the MSM, and people like that irish youtuber you linked to. 

Well we'll see. The article you quoted also said that asif ificant proportion of the 47k cases per day are asymptomatic which presumably also accounts for the frankly massive range in deaths forecast. 

I look forward to assuming the CT position of being personally responsible for this if it happens though. :lol:

• Haha 1

So how are we doing compared to other countries across Europe? AFAIA no country has gone into a second lockdown. Is it not necessary in other countries or is everyone waiting for someone to go first?

I went out this afternoon for a couple of beers with a mate- we went to the Free Trade, where you had to wait to be seated by a staff member, who to took contact details, and then it was table service. 

They’d made changes inside the bar, mainly to do with the toilet arrangements, ( only 1 person in the bogs at a time), and I felt 100% that they did everything possible to negate the risk of catching/ spreading the Lurgy. 

Because we were sat outside, we left after it became Baltic, and went to Brinkburn taproom. 

No sign- in, no measures other than “wear a mask when you go for a piss”, all indoors. 

We didn’t stay. 

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I went out this afternoon for a couple of beers with a mate- we went to the Free Trade, where you had to wait to be seated by a staff member, who to took contact details, and then it was table service. 

They’d made changes inside the bar, mainly to do with the toilet arrangements, ( only 1 person in the bogs at a time), and I felt 100% that they did everything possible to negate the risk of catching/ spreading the Lurgy. 

Because we were sat outside, we left after it became Baltic, and went to Brinkburn taproom. 

No sign- in, no measures other than “wear a mask when you go for a piss”, all indoors. 

We didn’t stay. 

If only there were enough police to enforce the rules.

I’ll say it again, I continue to be impressed with the way pubs have been set up. All those I’ve visited feel just as Covid- secure as the restaurants I’ve been in, with table service, drinks only ordered though apps etc. The shame now is you can only visit them in London, because we’re in tier 2, with members of your own household, which defies the point in escaping for a few beers in the first place 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2020 at 18:52, Gemmill said:

I'm absolutely livid with covid for not killing Trump. 

Tin foil hat I know, but are we satisfied he even had it?  The lack of detail and the fact that he seems to be jumping around at his COVID parties suggests not.

On another note, does he (and his good ole boys and evangelical nutters) know that YMCA is a gay anthem?  I suppose that, if you are willing to accept a treatment involving aborted fetal material, nothing matters when you are seeking reelection. 

7 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

Tin foil hat I know, but are we satisfied he even had it?  The lack of detail and the fact that he seems to be jumping around at his COVID parties suggests not.

On another note, does he (and his good ole boys and evangelical nutters) know that YMCA is a gay anthem?  I suppose that, if you are willing to accept a treatment involving aborted fetal material, nothing matters when you are seeking reelection. 

Off topic but related to the above, what  i find most incredible about the US and also the UK is how the evangelicals can support Trump and Johnson. These people are clearly utterly immoral at a personal level, its mind boggling they can turn a blind eye to this. 

• Like 1

Wales is imposing a "firebreak" lockdown for 17 days from 6pm on Friday, the Welsh government has announced.

The new coronavirus lockdown will take Wales back to the restrictions introduced in March, with most businesses shutting, and people being told to stay at home and work from home where possible.

Non-essential retail, leisure and hospitality businesses to close

People told to work from home wherever possible, with exceptions for critical workers

Household mixing banned both indoors and outdoors, although those in social bubbles will still be able to meet

Primary schools open after the half-term week and secondary schools will open only to Year 7 and Year 8 pupils

Places of worship to be closed except for weddings and funerals

Edited by trooper

3 hours ago, trooper said:

Wales is imposing a "firebreak" lockdown for 17 days from 6pm on Friday, the Welsh government has announced.

The new coronavirus lockdown will take Wales back to the restrictions introduced in March, with most businesses shutting, and people being told to stay at home and work from home where possible.

Non-essential retail, leisure and hospitality businesses to close

People told to work from home wherever possible, with exceptions for critical workers

Household mixing banned both indoors and outdoors, although those in social bubbles will still be able to meet

Primary schools open after the half-term week and secondary schools will open only to Year 7 and Year 8 pupils

Places of worship to be closed except for weddings and funerals

i was in the brecons at the weekend, we wild camped in the van in a little secluded spot we stumbled on about 8 years ago. it was pretty much exactly how you would expect it to be on an autumn weekend pre covid. we saw the odd big group of middle aged blokes out together on their mountain bikes, dog walkers, ramblers and maybe a dozen or so people like ourselves holed up in their vans/motorhomes. we exchanged pleasantries with folk when our paths crossed and stopped and chatted for a minute or two occasionally. 

on the commercial side of things we saw several shepherds huts in fields with their stoves burning obviously occupied, there was barges moored up on the canal which runs through the village of talybont on usk, the farm campsite was open, as was the village shop which also includes a cafe. the little mountain bike hire shop was open and the two village centre pubs were doing steady business for the time of year. i'd imagine all were relativedly happy with their lot considering they'd been subjected to harsher lockdown restrictions by drakeford from march to july/august than the rest of the country.

as far i'm aware powys has not one single covid related death now for more than seven weeks, this despite letting what folk (from wherever they come from) who want to visit the wide open spaces the brecons provide back in.

if was a welsh business owner from the powys region who relied on the tourist trade for a living i would be beyond fucking livid with the power crazy little cunt.

oh, and he also bears an uncanny resemblance of the verger from dads army, which isn't a good thing.

I'm in the lakes at the moment. Honestly, covid has ruined it. The place is bursting at the seams with mancs, scousers, and yes, geordies. I'll be amazed if the infection rate doesn't pick up here. Walks i used to do which were dead at this time of year are packed now. I know I'm part of the problem but the lakes is not what it once was. Can't even find anywhere quiet to have a piss nowadays. 

11 minutes ago, Renton said:

I'm in the lakes at the moment. Honestly, covid has ruined it. The place is bursting at the seams with mancs, scousers, and yes, geordies. I'll be amazed if the infection rate doesn't pick up here. Walks i used to do which were dead at this time of year are packed now. I know I'm part of the problem but the lakes is not what it once was. Can't even find anywhere quiet to have a piss nowadays. 

when we wild camped at troutbeck mid august, the lakes were heaving, the car park nearly pooley bridge was mental, folk were literally parked half in hedges on the approach roads. ullswater and keswick weren't even worth attempting.

mind you, your concerns were being mirrored in the south west, which was absolutely inundated with visitors. much to the anger of locals. cornwall has the lowest infection rate in the country.

Edited by thebrokendoll

The Mancs are trying to set a precedent here with the government support they're asking for. Hopefully they get it but I wouldn't be surprised if the government were happy just to watch them die.

27 minutes ago, Renton said:

Eskdale was quiet when I stayed there in July and we’re going back to the same place next year. When I went to Wasdale it was insanely busy though. People camping and parked everywhere. Also last time I was there I went walking near Hayeswater. There was a sign on the beacon at the top of Thornthwaite Crag telling you to stay clear due to danger of falling rocks. Pretty much guaranteed that’s due to tits climbing on it.