Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

Blaming the other side for being unreasonable in negotiations. That sounds familiar. And the substantial meals thing is just to protect the chains. Fuck everyone else. 

• Like 1

Boris proving what an absolute shithouse he really is. Manchester needed a minimum £65 million. They will now get a third of that.  Boris said they'd already provided over £500+ million to Manchester. But that money has been spent. The £65 million would be money that they're going to need over the next few weeks. It does feel like Manchester are being punished for standing up to them. 

hqdefault (4).jpg

45 minutes ago, strawb said:

Manchester gave back 88 million of the previous funding for furlough I think? So where has that all gone?

That £88 million would have been enough to see them through. I bet they wish they'd kept it now

Screenshot_20201022-163218_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d4e038214560ae00fa5cad2b68eb56e1.jpg

Excess deaths in line with the 5 year average and deaths from Covid tracking below deaths from the flu and pneumonia. That's from the ONS website btw, not some dodgy bloke on YouTube. 

Again, I'm not saying the virus doesn't exist, or nobody needs to worry about it, but something is going on... It's now nearly two months since cases went through the roof and Renton and ewerk started wearing nappies full time. 

If deaths are down then the only explanation for the difference between the two waves (assuming it hasn't mutated) is the state of readiness of the NHS. They're better equipped to deal with it now that the government's incompetence has been worked through?

Which basically means that the real factor behind the deaths of 40,000 people was chronic underfunding of the NHS by successive Tory governments, and stunning incompetence from the sitting one.

Lovely.

• Like 2

I’m not one to defend the government but doctors will have learned an awful lot since the first wave about how to treat this. Plus we’ve a lot more ventilators to cope with the second wave. Also I’m guessing the elderly make up a much smaller proportion of hospital cases this time round.

On 24/10/2020 at 16:38, ewerk said:

I’m not one to defend the government but doctors will have learned an awful lot since the first wave about how to treat this. Plus we’ve a lot more ventilators to cope with the second wave. Also I’m guessing the elderly make up a much smaller proportion of hospital cases this time round.

Yes we’ve learned a lot from the first wave and it seems to be showing given current patient outcomes. No, we don’t have any more ventilators. The first time around we stopped all routine surgery and used the vents that would’ve been in those theatres but we’re currently still running routine surgery so they’re in use. And the elderly are still by far making up the greatest number of admissions although we are seeing younger patients presenting in greater numbers than last time. We’re still run into the ground and have large numbers of medical and nursing staff either testing positive themselves or being asked to isolate having been in contact with positive patients or family members. It’s taking a massive toll on staff physical and mental health. 7 months in and I’ve personally never been tested, nor have many of my colleagues so we could be spreading it all over the place. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Well we’ve bought 30,000 ventilators so where are they?

Probably standing in the empty Nightingale hospitals (which we can’t use without staff btw - good luck finding more nurses)

None of us have been routinely tested. Only eligible if we have Covid symptoms. 

When I left work yesterday morning our ITU was full. Not all the patients were ventilated, some were on high flow oxygen but are extremely sick. I took a patient from theatre to a Covid ward and took up their last bed, although we still have some capacity on other wards. I don’t ever want to have to work up there - it was absolutely grim 🙁 I don’t really have the emotional energy to get into any debates/conversations on here but this thread is always interesting reading. I find the only way to get through life in general is to avoid the whole thing as much as possible (news/debates/social media/general aresholery) on the days I don’t have to deal with it 12hrs at a time, 4 nights per week. Meant to be annual leave next week but as per my last 4 planned weeks off, I’m working some of it. Last had a full week off in January and will be taking the full week I’ve got booked off in December (not Christmas or New Year though because all A/L is cancelled for then) 

On the plus side, at least I’m not fucking homeschooling this time! 😆

• Like 11

54 minutes ago, catmag said:

Probably standing in the empty Nightingale hospitals (which we can’t use without staff btw - good luck finding more nurses)

None of us have been routinely tested. Only eligible if we have Covid symptoms. 

When I left work yesterday morning our ITU was full. Not all the patients were ventilated, some were on high flow oxygen but are extremely sick. I took a patient from theatre to a Covid ward and took up their last bed, although we still have some capacity on other wards. I don’t ever want to have to work up there - it was absolutely grim 🙁 I don’t really have the emotional energy to get into any debates/conversations on here but this thread is always interesting reading. I find the only way to get through life in general is to avoid the whole thing as much as possible (news/debates/social media/general aresholery) on the days I don’t have to deal with it 12hrs at a time, 4 nights per week. Meant to be annual leave next week but as per my last 4 planned weeks off, I’m working some of it. Last had a full week off in January and will be taking the full week I’ve got booked off in December (not Christmas or New Year though because all A/L is cancelled for then) 

On the plus side, at least I’m not fucking homeschooling this time! 😆

Aye, aye, but you do realise I’ve spent today an hour out of synch because you didn’t tell us all to put out clocks back. 
I trust you feel suitably shite about it. :lol:

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, NJS said:

You deserve a proper reward Cath - I'd just ask you all what you want in the world and make it happen. 

(Short of the impossible like Newcastle winning something). 

As long as all Cath wants in the world is a Graze snack box then she’s sorted.

89205B1A-B5B4-4D93-AEAC-8B15D464A7B1.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Aye, aye, but you do realise I’ve spent today an hour out of synch because you didn’t tell us all to put out clocks back. 
I trust you feel suitably shite about it. :lol:

I had my first Saturday night off for weeks last night. Woke up about 2am, had a bit cackle to myself thinking about how I’ve ruined all your days and went back to sleep 😁

• Haha 5