Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

Johnson , at the end of his statement last night, said something that he hasn’t said for months. He went back to the mantra of “protect the NHS”.  It appears to me that’s the only thing lockdown does effectively. It doesn’t kill the virus, but it does enough to stop it spreading at the rates we’re seeing at the moment. With no staff to man the Nightingales he had no choice. I think some in the cabinet would’ve let us fry, there’s a huge school on thought that thinks the cure is deadlier than the disease but Johnson just thinks the optics of that are too much for him. 

3 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Johnson , at the end of his statement last night, said something that he hasn’t said for months. He went back to the mantra of “protect the NHS”.  It appears to me that’s the only thing lockdown does effectively. It doesn’t kill the virus, but it does enough to stop it spreading at the rates we’re seeing at the moment. With no staff to man the Nightingales he had no choice. I think some in the cabinet would’ve let us fry, there’s a huge school on thought that thinks the cure is deadlier than the disease but Johnson just thinks the optics of that are too much for him. 

It is all about protecting NHS capacity. All lockdown does is kick the can down the road. The virus isn’t going anywhere until we have a vaccine.

The smartest governments are those who navigate the pandemic with the fewest and shortest lockdowns while keeping the death rate down and protecting the economy as much as possible.

It’s a fucking nightmare balancing act for all world leaders but it’s fair to say our lot have ballsed it up more than most. They are too reactive, twice making the same mistake. 

50 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Not sure how accurate this is? Am sure the Rt. Hon. member for McGillycuddy Reeks @ewerk  will be able to tell us :good:

I work at Durham Uni and after all the affected colleges went into self isolation the numbers decreased dramatically.  Would have been interesting to see the figures if all the daft sods had done what they were told to and not party during Freshers week....

Cases_chart29.10.2020.jpg

• Like 2

Fairly sure local NHSE groups  are going into halls & testing regularly at the moment but all students in halls need to be tested before going home to their families for Christmas. That would appear to me to be imperative. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Gemmill said:

:lol:

Why don't you just narrow it down to your kids' exact year group as being the one that definitely needs to stay in school? 

My kids will be in school as I'm a key worker in any case. I'd prefer that tbh, they would have less contacts.  Weren't you even in denial as recently as last week that this surge even exists? Trawling you tube for nutty theories iirc. 

Edited by Renton

No organisation has advised their employees to use it because they don’t want mass random absenteeism. It’s bad enough having loads off due to known contact

8 minutes ago, Renton said:

NHS workers are advised not to use it. I use the QR function only. 

We’ve not been told that...

2 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

No organisation has advised their employees to use it because they don’t want mass random absenteeism. It’s bad enough having loads off due to known contact

We’ve not been told that...

We have in our trust.

7 hours ago, Renton said:

My kids will be in school as I'm a key worker in any case. I'd prefer that tbh, they would have less contacts.  Weren't you even in denial as recently as last week that this surge even exists? Trawling you tube for nutty theories iirc. 

Someone needs to try and keep their feet on the ground and change your nappy every now and again. 

7 hours ago, Renton said:

Just seen on the Marr show there that Jeremy Farrar agrees with the possibility of selectively closing secondary schools. 

:lol: And have you wiped the spunk off the screen yet? 

Your better than this Gemmill. The shit we're all facing this winter is genuinely scary imo. Yes, I am quirlte afraid of contracting this and possibly dieing from it, plenty have in my age group. I am much more scared of my next door neighbours dying however. That's my parents and my sister who starts chemo next week. 

So yeah, you're a funny poster. But talk about filling nappies etc really isn't that funny at present imo. As a country we're  facing a tragedy unknown in modern times, and I fucking hate it. Maybe we can laugh about it when its over, if ever. 

Edited by Renton

Renton, I know this is a stressful time for you but you can’t be coming out with outlandish claims like ‘Gemmill is better than this’ and he’s ‘a funny poster’ with no evidence to support it.

Seriously though, without levity and humour what have we got left?

• Haha 10

7 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Renton, I know this is a stressful time for you but you can’t be coming out with outlandish claims like ‘Gemmill is better than this’ and he’s ‘a funny poster’ with no evidence to support it.

Seriously though, without levity and humour what have we got left?

The Fish?

• Haha 4