Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

I was out yesterday walking the dogs. The carpark at Aldi was fucking heaving but the green light was still on letting people in. Earlier I’d gone past the Range on Whitley Road where people were queuing halfway round the shop to get in. The roads were very busy too. I can’t imagine how the virus is spreading at the rate it is. 

Edited by Alex

Not sure what your point is, because I want primary schools to remain open? Unless we undergo.a proper lockdown i believe this is best for kid's welfare personally. Regardless, I hope your niece and her family will be fine. 

The amount of people at the coast has been insane this weekend, I've never seen it this busy at this time of year, and that's with fairly shit weather. Many groups of people are clearly not family units, lots of kids with elderly grand parents. Traffic is worse than ever, any shops that are open are absolutely mobbed. This absolutely is not a lockdown and I can't see that the rate will fall.

Which makes me think  if Johnson does release us to tier 2 or 3 come the 2nd, can you imagine the carnage there will be? Christmas shopping, Christmas drinking, with the added bonus of pent up demand and saved money. This could be a disaster. All you can do at this stage is keep yourself as safe as possible. 

32 minutes ago, NJS said:

Moderna vaccine 94.5% effective.

Isn't on the list of UK pre-bought list but they're trying now.

All according to Peston.

Also doesn't require ultra cold storage. It's expensive though. Let's hope the Oxford one comes good, its cheap as chips and doesn't need cold storage. I see no reason it won't work. 

I'm a little concerned that too much weight has been given to the Oxford one - just reading we have 350m across six vaccines which is good but I would hope we don't have to settle for a slightly inferior one just because it's easy or convenient or even worse because it British. 

I don't think there will be much of an association between effectiveness and acquisition cost in the end. Anyway, I want a red, white, and blue vaccine, after all vaccine means vaccine, and none of this foreign muck. 

• Haha 1

The price is just an American firm adding cunt to the mix which shouldn't affect the UK but it is a pisser for the rest of the world. 

Maybe the Oxford one will be the same as its monkey trials where it was more of a severity reducer than a preventer and that could be used for the population at large while leaving the better ones for the vulnerable. 

10 minutes ago, NJS said:

The price is just an American firm adding cunt to the mix which shouldn't affect the UK but it is a pisser for the rest of the world. 

Maybe the Oxford one will be the same as its monkey trials where it was more of a severity reducer than a preventer and that could be used for the population at large while leaving the better ones for the vulnerable. 

The one enrolled out to the population at large needs to prevent transmission so we get herd immunity. Still, I'm confident most vaccines will be highly effective at this. 

Thing is the methodology where 100 people get it and 95 had the placebo and 5 the vaccine then assumes all 100 had the same exposure. I suppose people who know statistics better than me can account for the 30k trial participants in this but it would be "good" though a tad unethical if they carried out those challenge tests where they give people the virus. Obviously they would be skewed by insistence on young/healthy people but I think it would reassure some doubters. 

38 minutes ago, NJS said:

Thing is the methodology where 100 people get it and 95 had the placebo and 5 the vaccine then assumes all 100 had the same exposure. I suppose people who know statistics better than me can account for the 30k trial participants in this but it would be "good" though a tad unethical if they carried out those challenge tests where they give people the virus. Obviously they would be skewed by insistence on young/healthy people but I think it would reassure some doubters. 

That's where randomisation comes in, which is stratified so you can be absolutely sure both groups have the same characteristics and exposure risk. And its triple  blinded so no bugger can modify their behaviour relative to the other group. These trial results are utterly convincing tbh, no need for challenge tests now. 

We all got tested at work last week. Still waiting for the results almost a week later. By the time we get them, anyone positive's isolation period will be almost finished before they've had a chance to, y'knaa, isolate. :lol:

• Jaysus... 1

Not to try and compete with HMHM in the “Dangerously Incompetent Workplace” game but one of the supervisors has taken it on herself to shout at whoever isn’t wearing a mask on the floor while not wearing hers in the shared office. When asked about this and also, why the place isn’t being regularly sanitised, no answer was given. It’s an absolute miracle that we’re not all riddled.

• Haha 1
  • Jaysus... 1

It’s a bit like at the supermarket where you have the odd twat not wearing a mask which is (rightly) frowned upon but then you have about 75% of the staff not wearing one 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Porridge wogs to be tied to their beds upon pain of imprisonment in an attempt to make them fuckin behave themselves for a change the fuckin filthy bastards @Kevin Carr's Gloves   :cuppa:   🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

:lol:

We’re all big lads here, you don’t need to be overly PC, just come out with it.