Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

57 minutes ago, Alex said:

You can imagine what town will be like in tier 3. All non-essential shops being allowed to open in the run up to Xmas. They’ll be fucking heaving because people will have nothing else to do. It’s ridiculous 

Exactly what Mrs Rents just said, and it's true. All these people usually in the pub, restaurant, cafe, cinema, match have to be somewhere.

I am clinging to the hope we will go to tier 2 in 2 weeks because this is looking fucking grim. How many places can survive an Xmas lockdown? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I've no idea either, lads and sorry about your losses. Tempted to say just turn up with a mask and play it by ear?

Im definitely breaking the rules by staying at my brothers for two nights, but he’s got a massive house,...I’ve basically got a wing to myself :D

There’s only 20 allowed to go, and you’ve got to give contact details because if COVID regs at the Crematorium....can’t see what they can do tbh..

• Like 1

A widely used vaccine that’s 90% effective for under 55s would stop a lot of transmission though. Obviously they aren’t the group most at risk but fortunately there are other options out there for them. 

1 minute ago, Alex said:

A widely used vaccine that’s 90% effective for under 55s would stop a lot of transmission though. Obviously they aren’t the group most at risk but fortunately there are other options out there for them. 

I was a bit depressed last night assuming the worst about the Oxford figure fiddling but you're right - 22.5 million over 55s and other vulnerable get Pfizer/Moderna and everybody else getting Oxford works out pretty well. 

1 hour ago, NJS said:

I was a bit depressed last night assuming the worst about the Oxford figure fiddling but you're right - 22.5 million over 55s and other vulnerable get Pfizer/Moderna and everybody else getting Oxford works out pretty well. 

I thought there was a lack of participants in the over 55 category, not that it was ineffective? And in fact data from the full dose cohort showed the vaccine is equally effective in all age groups? So I'm not sure whether the negativity here is justified tbh. Also I'm not aware of data from the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines stratified by age.

9 minutes ago, Renton said:

I thought there was a lack of participants in the over 55 category, not that it was ineffective? And in fact data from the full dose cohort showed the vaccine is equally effective in all age groups? So I'm not sure whether the negativity here is justified tbh. Also I'm not aware of data from the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines stratified by age.

You're right that it was lack of over 55s on the half dose regime rather than it failing but I thought the need for more data and an extended trial just delays things a bit. Having said that if the US doesn't accept it that might make the initial UK delivery more sure. 

I had the impression the other two were stated to be good across the entire age range but perhaps more or clearer data is needed there too. 

17 hours ago, Anorthernsoul said:

Higher cases in London and rising.

Lower cases in the North East and falling.

Went into Lockdown from Tier 2 and came out in Tier 3.

Self serving fucking cunts couldn't give a fuck about the North. 

Mind, if it was the inner London boroughs that had the higher rates here, I reckon we'd be Tier 3 too. But because it's mostly the Tory-voting outskirts...

50 minutes ago, NJS said:

You're right that it was lack of over 55s on the half dose regime rather than it failing but I thought the need for more data and an extended trial just delays things a bit. Having said that if the US doesn't accept it that might make the initial UK delivery more sure. 

I had the impression the other two were stated to be good across the entire age range but perhaps more or clearer data is needed there too. 

It's definitely above the 50% efficacy threshold, it's safe (the technology behind it is well characterised), and cheap. I hope they roll it out ASAP. Once that happens though you can't ethically do another RCT against placebo, although you could trial the vaccines against each other. I've no idea how feasible that is though. 

The horror of this shit show going into mid January is dawning on me now. Meals I had booked cancelled. Kid's pantomime, cancelled. No cafés to warm you up on a walk. Stuck at home for 2 weeks with the kids with fuck all to do. Oh, but you can see some extended family for 5 days at Xmas. Great  

Is it true that they have no real intention of reviewing this in 3 weeks time? We could be down to low levels by then. 

1 hour ago, Renton said:

The horror of this shit show going into mid January is dawning on me now. Meals I had booked cancelled. Kid's pantomime, cancelled. No cafés to warm you up on a walk. Stuck at home for 2 weeks with the kids with fuck all to do. Oh, but you can see some extended family for 5 days at Xmas. Great  

Is it true that they have no real intention of reviewing this in 3 weeks time? We could be down to low levels by then. 

I think January is going to be worse sadly.

By the time it’s over I won’t have had physical contact with another human being for a year.