Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

Prof Barclay, head of infectious disease at Imperial College London, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "We normally see the viruses differing from one another by one or two changes, but this one has in total 22 all at once.

"That's immediately a sort of a bit of an alarm bell... but biologically it's feasible that the virus could have changed the way it behaves because of those mutations."

She said it was now important to understand whether the vaccines were still effective against the new variant.

Former chief scientific adviser calls for lockdown and says 'we shouldn't wait' 

In an interview where he was heavily critical of the government's response to the pandemic, former chief scientific adviser Sir David King has told Sky News there is now "only one course of action" to deal with the new strain of coronavirus.

"I think there's no doubt about it - we need to go into lockdown and we need to go into lockdown sooner than the government is tending to do," he said. 

Sir David said it is important to act quickly to stop a surge in infections, and he believes "almost certainly" the new variant is spreading across the country already. 

47 minutes ago, trooper said:

Prof Barclay, head of infectious disease at Imperial College London, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "We normally see the viruses differing from one another by one or two changes, but this one has in total 22 all at once.

"That's immediately a sort of a bit of an alarm bell... but biologically it's feasible that the virus could have changed the way it behaves because of those mutations."

She said it was now important to understand whether the vaccines were still effective against the new variant.

So a natural progression would be one or two changes. :lol:

WEEEEEEEEIRDD.

We need to Lockdown like we did in March but even tighter. Keep schools shut & impose curfews.  The vaccine may yet turn out to be no good against the mutated virus. Until they know more they should lock the country down immediately. 

Edited by trooper

Just did the Christmas food shop and Sainsbury's was surprisingly quiet. I was expecting panic buying like we usually get in these situations. :lol: Maybe people are still working their way through the bog roll stashes they built up in March...

Miss T did our Xmas food with Asda click & collect. Its brilliant we had to book it about 10 days ago. Just text them when your on your way to collect it. The guy was waiting for Miss T she put shopping straight in the boot & drove home. From going out to collect to putting it away about 25 minutes no trailing round trying to avoid people really easy.

Labour leader demands PM address nation over 'out of control' virus

Sir Keir Starmer has called for Boris Johnson to address the nation after a "deeply disturbing" 24 hours of news. 

In a speech on devolution, he pointed to the record number of cases in the UK yesterday and warned: "We cannot be in any doubt - the virus is now out of control." 

With countries racing to close their borders to the UK and disruption at Britain's ports, Sir Keir said: "Make no mistake this is now a real emergency."

He also addressed the government directly and criticised what he called "over-promising and false hope, confused messages and slow decision-making". 

"The prime minister needs to be straight with people about precisely what is going on and precisely what he is doing about it," he said. 

"He must address the nation today after this morning's Cobra meeting and hold daily press conferences until the disruption has eased."

1 hour ago, trooper said:

We need to Lockdown like we did in March but even tighter. Keep schools shut & impose curfews.  The vaccine may yet turn out to be no good against the mutated virus. Until they know more they should lock the country down immediately. 

So if the vaccines are rendered ineffective, then what? Lock down forever? I'm definitely on the side of caution but I don't think I could take a year of lockdown. Let's hope the vaccines remain efficacious, which they probably will. No need to lockdown the NE to the extent you are talking, infection rates are quite low and on a downwards trend in most areas. 

Edit: just checked and most areas are trending upwards, and Newcastle seems to be rocketing. Concerning. 

Edit 2: the covid dashboard map has a new colour for the worst areas, 800+/100,000. Xmas is going to be a shitstorm, we'll see over 1000 deaths a day soon. 

Edited by Renton

23 minutes ago, trooper said:

Boris to hold news conference later this afternoon 

He's announcing he doesn't want anyone from the NE to call him just 'Boris' anymore. He prefers 'The piss artist formerly known as Bozo'.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

He's announcing he doesn't want anyone from the NE to call him just 'Boris' anymore. He prefers 'The piss artist formerly known as Bozo'.

Cunty McCuntface shirley 

A couple of weeks away from this place followed by a couple of days checking this thread and I can feel my anxiety level on the rise. I didn't pack in reading it cos I felt anxious but it's palpable how much it affects you if you keep up with every bit of breaking news on this thing.

My advice: wear two masks. One on your gob and one over your eyes. It is doing no one any good to be tracking this thing by the hour. 

I'm oot for a bit longer, at least as far as this thread is concerned. Peace out bitches. ✌️

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

A couple of weeks away from this place followed by a couple of days checking this thread and I can feel my anxiety level on the rise. I didn't pack in reading it cos I felt anxious but it's palpable how much it affects you if you keep up with every bit of breaking news on this thing.

My advice: wear two masks. One on your gob and one over your eyes. It is doing no one any good to be tracking this thing by the hour. 

I'm oot for a bit longer, at least as far as this thread is concerned. Peace out bitches. ✌️

What can you say. The world has been on a downwards slide since David Bowie passed and upset the quantum balance of the cosmos. My chakras have been are all over the place ever since. Still, it was good while it lasted. 

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Wykiki has deleted his twitter...this was after his dad died due to delayed treatment for a heart complaint?... @Ant do data laws allow you to email him?...

Ahh shit. Sad news, hope he's okay.