Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

This one dose as soon as possible sounds good but it seems to be pushing the boat out science wise. 

I'd be happier if they said second within 12 weeks but aiming for as soon as possible after tested gap. 

Yes but I'd be wary of them hitting the target if it's a supply driven approach.

Pfizer have already expressed doubts saying it's untested - maybe they should keeping doing that one as planned originally for the most vulnerable.

Probably because of the economy. I actually don't envy the government this one at all. We aren't going to be able to take much more locking down without the damage becoming long lasting I suspect.

I think that would lead to human cost more than economic. They must be weighing something up here unless you think they're not going full lockdown just to appease their back benches. Which I could believe tbf.

A national lockdown is the last resort to prevent the NHS being overwhelmed and shouldn’t be enforced lightly because of its damaging long term consequences- not just to the economy but public and mental health more broadly. Other countries have successfully managed a tiered approach but they tend to have functioning test and trace and competent leaders

Given where we’re currently at with hospital bed figures and we’re yet to see the Christmas covid bounce combined with the new variant I don’t see how the NHS becomes overwhelmed in the next month. 

The main advantage of the lockdown is its simplicity and ease of understanding. The tiered system has helped convince certain people that the situation isn’t as serious as back in April when the truth is that it is.

It definitely doesn’t feel like the original lockdown down here. Everything’s shut but people are out and about. Loads of businesses are offering takeaway services. I’ve been to IKEA, the local DIY shop, the post Office Depot and back and forth to the tip the past few days and all have been busy. Loads of people out in the parks, playgrounds and high streets. It was like a ghost town during the first lockdown 

• Jaysus... 2

I was just making an observation. I certainly wasn’t pointing the finger at people who are using the local businesses which remain open. I just moved house. Boxes everywhere, DIY jobs to be done. Places to purchase things I need are still open. Is going out and using those places the wrong thing to do as long as the government allows them to trade?  

Tier 4 is different to lockdown. Even the last lockdown was different to the first one. Loads more stuff is still open and people are out and about - mask and social distance compliance down here is good but people are no longer cowering away. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

I was just making an observation. I certainly wasn’t pointing the finger at people who are using the local businesses which remain open. I just moved house. Boxes everywhere, DIY jobs to be done. Places to purchase things I need are still open. Is going out and using those places the wrong thing to do as long as the government allows them to trade?  

Yes

21 hours ago, NJS said:

This one dose as soon as possible sounds good but it seems to be pushing the boat out science wise. 

I'd be happier if they said second within 12 weeks but aiming for as soon as possible after tested gap. 

We've got a shortage of the Pfizer vaccine already. People getting their 2nd doses cancelled.

And we vaccinate the whole country at the current rate we will be tipping into 2023 before we reach everyone. Hancock's Spring proclamation is pure bollocks