Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

11 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Going back to March, clear communication and explicit published information on the rules (no 3 word bullshit guidelines), based on my experiences when I managed to get up there, observance of said rules and organisiation in shops etc. was so much better than down here, given the constraints of being tied to Westminster in many things, I reckon they've done as well as they could, if she'd had the power she'd have shut to border way back for all non-essential traffic/travel, as they should have. IMO of course.

I don't want to sound dismissive but she's still having to lockdown again. Flights & ferries all still open. She's done about as well as anyone else in Europe iyam. 

1 minute ago, PaddockLad said:

I don't want to sound dismissive but she's still having to lockdown again. Flights & ferries all still open. She's done about as well as anyone else in Europe iyam. 

That's because flights/ferries/border are not within her powers to control as they are not devolved issues as I understand it.

Just now, Toonpack said:

That's because flights/ferries/border are not within her powers to control as they are not devolved issues as I understand it.

Well that's possibly why I get the impression she's bang average at achieving anything apart from talking a good game...

I reckon Johnson’s going to close the schools to all but key workers and pretend it was his idea. Rather than admit the unions and staff are refusing to go back in if they are fully open like usual. 

1 hour ago, Meenzer said:

Close the schools one day after they open again? :lol:

I assume most will have had teacher training days. I fucking hope so because otherwise he’ll close the schools, with the damage that’ll entail whilst negating a lot of the positive effects in terms of combating the virus by letting the kids, teachers, staff, etc mix. 

23 minutes ago, Alex said:

I assume most will have had teacher training days. I fucking hope so because otherwise he’ll close the schools, with the damage that’ll entail whilst negating a lot of the positive effects in terms of combating the virus by letting the kids, teachers, staff, etc mix. 

Planning. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

Schools finally closed. I was right all along. 

When you said it was different this time because deaths, hospitalisations, etc didn’t seem to be as high? 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, trooper said:

Schools shut from tomorrow does that mean they're shut from midnight tonight or from tomorrow afternoon ?

Not open tomorrow which is a ball ache to put it mildly at this notice. And as I think Alex said, why the actual fuck did they actually let them open for 1 day? Insane 

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

When you said it was different this time because deaths, hospitalisations, etc didn’t seem to be as high? 

It was at the time, bitchtits! Anyway that cancels out with me being right about schools, so apologies accepted from the entire board. Just don't ever doubt me again. 

• Haha 3

Cool that they left the announcement until after many of the affected kids will have already gone to bed. If there's one thing little kids thrive on more than constantly shifting goalposts, it's finding out that the goalposts have shifted as the first thing when they wake up in the morning. :boogie:  

The one good thing for us up here is that levels aren't that high, especially in Newcastle and North Tynesdie. So hopefully we can get levels right down.

Although the epidemiologist on C4 made a good point, which was the variant adds R 0.4 to 0.5. Now considering the first lock down only got us down to R 0.6, do the maths. We're a bit fucked. 

Just now, Meenzer said:

Cool that they left the announcement until after many of the affected kids will have already gone to bed. If there's one thing little kids thrive on more than constantly shifting goalposts, it's finding out that the goalposts have shifted when they wake up in the morning. :boogie:  

Every time the Christmas holidays ended, I used to literally wish that we could somehow return to the start again. If I woke up the day after school went back to find I was off again, I would assume my wish had made it so and probably think I was even more of a second coming than I do now. 

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

The one good thing for us up here is that levels aren't that high, especially in Newcastle and North Tynesdie. So hopefully we can get levels right down.

Although the epidemiologist on C4 made a good point, which was the variant adds R 0.4 to 0.5. Now considering the first lock down only got us down to R 0.6, do the maths. We're a bit fucked. 

We've got the vaccine this time as well though. Covid is about to get its fucking balls kicked right off. And this time we're wearing winklepickers.