Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

Actually I agreed with you about the schools. But I felt like a cunt saying as much because 1) I knew it would send parents everywhere mental if it happened 2) I’m sending my lot for 3 days a week this time round :lol: 

I was speaking to my sister on nyd and she told me my niece who's a teacher and is married to one really wanted the schools to open as they think kids are suffering badly. 

I agree but I think the current shit storm has to take precedence for a while. 

As usual though it's the kids with poor or shit parents who suffer disproportionately which is another thing I'd criticise the government for as they've shown no real determination to ensure home schooling is tenable via laptops and or broadband dongles.

I'd also say that at the start when they asked for community volunteers and then didn't bother using any of them you'd have thought there must have been some of those people with a bit of knowhow on some things who could have been used as extra online tutors or even in neighbourhoods when SD mixing was allowed. 

• Like 1

At least it wasn’t all bad news today - the first dose of the AZ vaccine was administered. And if we keep administering jabs at the current rate it will take *checks notes* six years 

17 minutes ago, Alex said:

Actually I agreed with you about the schools. But I felt like a cunt saying as much because 1) I knew it would send parents everywhere mental if it happened 2) I’m sending my lot for 3 days a week this time round :lol: 

:lol:

I don't blame you. My lass has got a full class of key workers kids on Wednesday so I don't think you're the only one. There was nowt like that many last time around. 

6 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

They're open to your kids if you work for Timpsons 

Lockdown must be hurting already, if you are laughing at your own jokes. :tongue:

Edited by RobinRobin
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Alex said:

Mine will be doing 3 days a week too. It helps both our mental healths, especially in January.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NJS said:

I was speaking to my sister on nyd and she told me my niece who's a teacher and is married to one really wanted the schools to open as they think kids are suffering badly. 

I agree but I think the current shit storm has to take precedence for a while. 

As usual though it's the kids with poor or shit parents who suffer disproportionately which is another thing I'd criticise the government for as they've shown no real determination to ensure home schooling is tenable via laptops and or broadband dongles.

I'd also say that at the start when they asked for community volunteers and then didn't bother using any of them you'd have thought there must have been some of those people with a bit of knowhow on some things who could have been used as extra online tutors or even in neighbourhoods when SD mixing was allowed. 

My lass reckons her class this year is a nightmare and she puts it down largely to the fact that they've been so disrupted and spent so much time not interacting with other kids.

Which is awful but still not a reason to reopen schools if it will spread the virus. 

Maybe if it wasn't so readily apparent that their parents absolutely hate spending all this extra time with them, things would also be different. :lol: NOT LOOKING AT ANYONE IN PARTICULAR HERE, JUST ALL THE PARENTS THAT HATE BEING AROUND THEIR KIDS, YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE, EVEN IF YOU AREN'T READY TO ADMIT IT. 

• Haha 2

Food for thought....very thought provoking piece by Simon Jenkins

Rowson follows up with an observation....

I think he’s got it slightly wrong in that the Cabinet are the fawning courtiers & Parliament are perhaps the Northern Earls shouting from the sidelines (my MP is re tweeting Alison Pearson daily :glare:) but his central point is correct..next to fuck all has changed in the British state in 1000 years. And it very likely never will. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, NJS said:

The UK missed out on a revolution - the civil war was a start but it was just a shame that Cromwell was an even bigger cunt than any monarch. 

Yep...revolution based on who had the best brand of Christianity was patent bollocks even then (captain hindsight here)  Cromwell however knew that change was required though. As did the US, but their system is also now no longer fit for purpose  .  Meanwhile in the 21st century the UK largely ignored a referendum on PR...we’re fucked really...

Edited by PaddockLad

French got their timing right. We are fucked forever as the levers of control are much bigger now. Any attempts to revise things for the people will be perpetually quashed. I can’t stop thinking about the despicable, illegal vans outside polling stations depicting Corbyn as pretty much Satan. They completely got away with that. 

When things settle down I think we’re moving to France. Fuck all the shit  England has going on. I’m sick of thinking about it. Caught between an abusive, extortive establishment and a fecklessly proud to be servile mass. It’s a twisted place. Plus I’ll get to hang out with Chez.  

Edited by trophyshy
  • Like 2

Cromwell didn’t have a strong enough successor so the country kind of rolled back to the monarchy by default. And Charles II was wildly popular by comparison because Cromwell and the religious movement he represented was so fucking miserable, basically looking down on anything you might ordinarily deem to be fun. 

More generally there seems to be a belief the monarchy is a fairly benign institution but it’s what it represents and what comes with that is problematic. Being that which the status quo, with all its privilege, ownership of vast swathes of land and corruption is built upon. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NJS said:

The UK missed out on a revolution - the civil war was a start but it was just a shame that Cromwell was an even bigger cunt than any monarch. 

I’m happy to get Medieval on a few Tories/Leavers in the name of Revolt. 

Get Johnson and Farage on the Judas Cradle , Rees Mogg can have the Scavengers Daughter

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Cromwell didn’t have a strong enough successor so the country kind of rolled back to the monarchy by default. And Charles II was wildly popular by comparison because Cromwell and the religious movement he represented was so fucking miserable, basically looking down on anything you might ordinarily deem to be fun. 

More generally there seems to be a belief the monarchy is a fairly benign institution but it’s what it represents and what comes with that is problematic. Being that which the status quo, with all its privilege, ownership of vast swathes of land and corruption is built upon. 

There's no sense of outrage as to how it all works - when I explain to people the true meaning of "estate" in that the Queen actually owns all of the land in England and issues licences (estates) for people to nominally trade in it while maintaining true ownership the response tends to be so what? 

It would probably take her revoking the licences without compensation for people to wake up but they'd still probably say "Gawd bless her" and not care. 

• Like 2

FML - home schooling 2.0 is even worse. 

last time it was just home school worksheets, which was painful enough, but they could at least do it at their own pace and our job was to monitor and check. now it's a full on zoom meeting next to me, out of my phone with no headphones, because all the other devices are in use. i'm acting as iT support/teacher's assistant.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i'm playing the key worker card tomorrow like. how else am i going to learn to brew nord mead? 

'Okay, that's no problem Dr. Gloom, we'll see the kids tomorrow. Thank you for all you're doing in the NHS to keep us safe'

'Well, I'm not an actual Doctor'

'I thought you were a key worker? So you're a police officer? Fireman? Nurse? Government official? Paramedic? Social worker? Prison officer? Vicar? Postman? Transport worker? Nuclear physicist?'

'Errr, no. I edit video clips from home'

'Oh...'

• Haha 7

14 minutes ago, ewerk said:

'Okay, that's no problem Dr. Gloom, we'll see the kids tomorrow. Thank you for all you're doing in the NHS to keep us safe'

'Well, I'm not an actual Doctor'

'I thought you were a key worker? So you're a police officer? Fireman? Nurse? Government official? Paramedic? Social worker? Prison officer? Vicar? Postman? Transport worker? Nuclear physicist?'

'Errr, no. I edit video clips from home'

'Oh...'

hey, i didn't write the list