Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

I'm a key worker but we've never sent the youngest in, (Wife can't work). She's doing really well at the minute and has been growing academically for about two years now. I'm hoping it's enough for her results should the exams be cancelled but it's hard to tell. I tend to make teas but not sourdough quinoa Banana loaf fusions and the wife can't stand for long periods to do anything but simple sandwiches etc so she can can learn at home no bother, (just bought her a decent laptop so she doesn't have to use the slightly slow family one). The only thing that's sometimes problematic is making dinner quietly when she's in a lesson as the eldest comes home from work as she literally works round the corner. I think her school have done pretty well considering the debris of the omni-shambles from their old Etonian overlords raining down on them. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

FML - home schooling 2.0 is even worse. 

last time it was just home school worksheets, which was painful enough, but they could at least do it at their own pace and our job was to monitor and check. now it's a full on zoom meeting next to me, out of my phone with no headphones, because all the other devices are in use. i'm acting as iT support/teacher's assistant.

Do you think you can bring yourself to send them now? 

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

Do you think you can bring yourself to send them now? 

ask me at the end of the week. hopefully it'll get easier. right now, i'm on the precipice :lol: 

• Haha 1

I'm fucking sick of all this shit but I know for a fact once it's done and we're allowed to go back out again, I'll be cycling through my excuses rolodex again. At least people won't have heard them for a while. 

It'll be my first shift back in tonight since pre-xmas and if I'm going to catch anything, I'd put the mortgage on it being at work despite measures put in place. Around 10% was off isolating or had it around late Nov/early December. 

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

ask me at the end of the week. hopefully it'll get easier. right now, i'm on the precipice :lol: 

:lol: Hang in there, baby

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

It'll be my first shift back in tonight since pre-xmas and if I'm going to catch anything, I'd put the mortgage on it being at work despite measures put in place. Around 10% was off isolating or had it around late Nov/early December. 

Hope you’re alright, mate. Can’t see how it’s a proper lockdown with construction, manufacturing etc continuing. 

Also noticed the roads were busy this morning when I went to the supermarket first thing. As though loads of businesses still had people going in for one last day. Which is fucking daft but possibly down to the pm being so egotistical he wanted to keep people hanging on until 8 pm like he was the announcing the SPOTY or something. It doesn’t really give people who were expected into work and their bosses much time to change the next day’s plans. 

On a more positive note, my lass is getting the first dose of the vaccine tomorrow. They’ve had a few cases on her ward recently and loads across the trust in general. Last time round they managed to keep nearly all the cases in covid-specific wards. She did a few shifts in the one at the RVI before she was deemed too senior / experienced to be loaned out. The advantage on those places at least is the PPE is pretty good, rather than the plastic pinnies and bog standard face masks on her ward. 

22 minutes ago, Alex said:

Hope you’re alright, mate. Can’t see how it’s a proper lockdown with construction, manufacturing etc continuing. 

Also noticed the roads were busy this morning when I went to the supermarket first thing. As though loads of businesses still had people going in for one last day. Which is fucking daft but possibly down to the pm being so egotistical he wanted to keep people hanging on until 8 pm like he was the announcing the SPOTY or something. It doesn’t really give people who were expected into work and their bosses much time to change the next day’s plans. 

On a more positive note, my lass is getting the first dose of the vaccine tomorrow. They’ve had a few cases on her ward recently and loads across the trust in general. Last time round they managed to keep nearly all the cases in covid-specific wards. She did a few shifts in the one at the RVI before she was deemed too senior / experienced to be loaned out. The advantage on those places at least is the PPE is pretty good, rather than the plastic pinnies and bog standard face masks on her ward. 

I'd say your lass is a bit more at risk than me, (hopefully not so much now she's had a jab!) :good:

• Like 1

Wor lass is getting her first dose tomorrow too, Alex. Of the vaccine, I mean. I think it’s disgraceful that we’re not allowed to be +1s tbh.

2 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

It’s a minor miracle we haven’t had an outbreak but I genuinely think it may be because the shutter doors are constantly opening and closing, recirculating the air. That might be a massive factor in helping indoor areas if my theory is right.

28 minutes ago, Alex said:

Manufacturing and construction weren't prohibited last time either, they voluntarily close. Not that they're doing it this time. I'd happily shut up for six weeks but while my customers are operating then so am I.

Just now, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Wor lass is getting her first dose tomorrow too, Alex. Of the vaccine, I mean. I think it’s disgraceful that we’re not allowed to be +1s tbh.

It’s a minor miracle we haven’t had an outbreak but I genuinely think it may be because the shutter doors are constantly opening and closing, recirculating the air. That might be a massive factor in helping indoor areas if my theory is right.

We got big plastic hanging curtains as well as doors. They took the curtains down months ago then put them back up as they thought the contamination risk was more important than the covid risk. Doors are always shut.

• Jaysus... 1

10 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I'd say your lass is a bit more at risk than me, (hopefully not so much now she's had a jab!) :good:

Cheers, mate

7 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Manufacturing and construction weren't prohibited last time either, they voluntarily close. Not that they're doing it this time. I'd happily shut up for six weeks but while my customers are operating then so am I.

Yeah I know. It wasn’t meant as a dig at anyone either. 

11 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

:lol: 

18 minutes ago, Alex said:

Good job nobody was allowed to mix iced Xmas 

that's 2% of the population infected right now, figures inflated further by a quite incredible 1 in 30 in london having covid as i type. why the fuck were kids allowed to go to school yesterday? they can't just have found out that things were escalating this quickly. it's like cheltenham all over again. maybe they are still going for herd immunity 

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

that's 2% of the population infected right now, figures inflated further by a quite incredible 1 in 30 in london having covid as i type. why the fuck were kids allowed to go to school yesterday? they can't just have found out that things were escalating this quickly. it's like cheltenham all over again. maybe they are still going for herd immunity 

They’ve been fairly consistent throughout. Doing the necessary (but making it less effective and meaning the measures take longer) about two weeks too late. That’s ignoring the cronyism and ridiculous promises they’ve consistently failed to fulfil. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I’m happy to get Medieval on a few Tories/Leavers in the name of Revolt. 

Get Johnson and Farage on the Judas Cradle , Rees Mogg can have the Scavengers Daughter

No way, that's just first year at Eton stuff - not harsh enough 

15 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Get your elders to teach you. 

What the fuck do I know? :huh:

7 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Any idea how much of the population has now been infected by COVID, including those who have had it and recovered?  You may be getting herd immunity before you get the jab.