Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

We've broken the barrier for 1000 deaths again. :(

Looking at the data i think we'll top out around 1500 daily deaths in about 3 weeks time. I was always fearful of a second wave but this is much worse than my worst fears. 

We didn’t win two world wars with “personal responsibility” Alex. Get a grip. 

They didn’t wear masks in the Somme! They didn’t close the pubs during the blitz!

• Haha 1

We could do with a bit of the blitz spirit. By that I mean people going round enforcing the rules. Not cunts still wearing poppies come the spring and moaning because they haven’t been to Tenerife for two months 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

I was having this conversation with a friend the other day btw. I genuinely this people use the wars as a vehicle by which to avoid personal responsibility. 

Its a uniquely British trait. (although globally people use conspiracy theories)

“They didn’t have to learn pronouns in the war so why should I respect trans people?” Etc etc 

I don’t think it has anything really to do with the war as such or “brave soldiers” just people being selfish cunts unable to make the slightest bit effort to improve the society around them.

It’s typically people who’ve been spoiled rotten all their lives too.

My friend an I both wear a mask on our walks. A mask less boomer approached and we made space and distanced.

She deliberately walked closer towards us. 

Although Britain no doubt suffered hugely during the last war it pales into insignificance compared to that which Germany, France, Poland etc faced. But the people banging on about it aren’t old enough to be alive, let alone remember and they fucking whinged because they didn’t like the inconvenience. There’s plenty people using the “it’s not about a virus” / plandemic / “you’re all sheeple” conspiracies for the same reason. There’s also loads of morons who think completely unsubstantiated stuff on Facebook is the only place you’ll get the truth too. 

It’s funny how we like to collectively think this sort of thing brings out the best in people. It undoubtedly does in some cases but it’s the opposite in many others 

Edited by Alex

I suppose the point is it’s just not relevant to daily life & I think people know it. They just don’t want to step up & take responsibility for their own actions.

Facebook is just about the worst thing going re news. It used to be fairly harmless but now far right conspiracy lunatics are targeting advertising at fairly average people. 

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Sunderland has had a huge surge in covid cases over the last couple of days apparently. Edging closer to the nightingale getting opened 

I popped to Seaham beach with the dogs the day before lockdown was announced. 

I was the only one I could see distancing & I was in the 1% of people wearing a mask. 

I nearly turned around and went home, however the beach nearest the harbour was deserted so I took the dogs down there. 

I couldn’t believe what I was seeing in the town however. 

50 minutes ago, Tom said:

I popped to Seaham beach with the dogs the day before lockdown was announced. 

I was the only one I could see distancing & I was in the 1% of people wearing a mask. 

I nearly turned around and went home, however the beach nearest the harbour was deserted so I took the dogs down there. 

I couldn’t believe what I was seeing in the town however. 

On Saturday, Longsands beach was fucking rammed. 

13 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Sunderland has had a huge surge in covid cases over the last couple of days apparently. Edging closer to the nightingale getting opened 

My mate and his wife from Sunderland both just tested positive. Caught it from an Xmas getogether Johnson allowed. 

london is totally fucked. nightingale will be full in two weeks, with no beds for the roughly 2k people who need acute care - that is apparently a conservative estimate

8 minutes ago, Renton said:

My mate and his wife from Sunderland both just tested positive. Caught it from an Xmas getogether Johnson allowed. 

Everyone that did shit on Christmas knew they were taking a risk though. I was uneasy about going to my sister's particularly cos I know that she has continued having her mates round etc. 

If you got it by mixing at Christmas, that's on you imo. And I fucking hate Johnson and will blame him for everything I can. 

42 minutes ago, Renton said:

My Mrs. is currently on the phone telling her bosses to get fucked after being told she “must” cover colleagues who won’t don’t their shifts because they’re afraid of catching the virus. 

She already goes there 2 days a week, they want her to do more. 

Not happening. 

edit; she works in Shitsville

10 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Everyone that did shit on Christmas knew they were taking a risk though. I was uneasy about going to my sister's particularly cos I know that she has continued having her mates round etc. 

If you got it by mixing at Christmas, that's on you imo. And I fucking hate Johnson and will blame him for everything I can. 

Aye but there's a lot of people who wouldn't have done it if it was against the law. Johnson gave the green light, he is at least partly responsible. 

Hey @Renton, further to the conversation about the vaccine yesterday, as you're in the biz/know, where are they at with testing/results with the immunne suppressed?

Last I read they were yet to go to trial, Pfizer anyway, we haven't had a lot of info regarding the Oxford vaccine here.

Edited by sammynb

I dunno if that's true. I think Christmas was always gonna be a big mixer event. It's not like making it legal made it safe. People knew it wasn't safe and they did it anyway. 

It would be canny absurd for me to go to my sister's for Christmas, test positive two days later, and blame Johnson. That's on me. 

30 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Hey @Renton, further to the conversation about the vaccine yesterday, as you're in the biz/know, where are they at with testing/results with the immunne suppressed?

Last I read they were yet to go to trial, Pfizer anyway, we haven't had a lot of info regarding the Oxford vaccine here.

I don't know mate. My understanding is immunosuppressed individuals aren't contraindicated but as they were excluded from trials the efficacy of the vaccine in them will be largely unknown. Depending on their condition I'd expect some protection though and definitely recommend vaccination.