Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

42 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I'm not convinced that this strain is particularly worse for younger people. I just think shit loads more of them have caught it. The first spike was heavily weighted towards care home residents, NHS staff, bus drivers etc. 

It's everywhere this time round 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Has anyone confirmed the actual effectiveness of the Oxford vaccine?

If you get 2 full doses then it's the same as the flu jab. About 66%. Getting a half dose in your first jab bumps the efficacy up to 90% though. Still not clear what dosing regime they are going to use in the UK. 

BMJ paper:

The trials of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine did include different spacing between doses, finding that a longer gap (two to three months) led to a greater immune response, but the overall participant numbers were small. In the UK study 59% (1407 of 2377) of the participants who had two standard doses received the second dose between nine and 12 weeks after the first. In the Brazil study only 18.6% (384 of 2063) received a second dose between nine and 12 weeks after the first.3 The combined trial results, published in the Lancet,4 found that vaccine efficacy 14 days after a second dose was higher in the group that had more than six weeks between the two doses (65.4%) than in the group that had less than six weeks between doses (53.4%).

In their joint statement the chief medical officers said that data provided to the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) showed that, although optimal efficacy was achieved through two doses, both vaccines “offer considerable protection after a single dose, at least in the short term.”

Original Lancet paper on the Oxford vaccine:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140673620326611

Edited by Kid Dynamite

9 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I'm not convinced that this strain is particularly worse for younger people. I just think shit loads more of them have caught it. The first spike was heavily weighted towards care home residents, NHS staff, bus drivers etc. 

It's everywhere this time round 

Yes, and hospitals are going to fail this time, unlike during the first wave. Doctors will have to decide who lives and who doesn’t. All those horror stories we read from Italy and Spain last time which didn’t transpire here are coming. Some hospitals are already overwhelmed. 

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

Yes, and hospitals are going to fail this time, unlike during the first wave. Doctors will have to decide who lives and who doesn’t. All those horror stories we read from Italy and Spain last time which didn’t transpire here are coming. Some hospitals are already overwhelmed. 

That was happening in the first wave to some degree. Our intensive care department accepted relatively few patients. A lot of people had a ward based ceiling of care who ordinary would have been given an ICU bed 

8 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

That was happening in the first wave to some degree. Our intensive care department accepted relatively few patients. A lot of people had a ward based ceiling of care who ordinary would have been given an ICU bed 

It wasn’t anything like this though, was it?

12 hours ago, Meenzer said:

Not a hint of anyone taking part in it around here, for what it's worth, and we went relatively big for the original one (in a "decent amount of sound reverberating around the new builds near the station" way, not a "middle-class cunts doing the fucking conga and pretending they like their neighbours" way).

It was weird around our way, people who've never said a word to eachother in years smiling and waving as they smash pans together. Think it lasted about 4 weeks before people binned it off. I did it once, because I wanted to show support to the NHS, but then I realised they'd probably not hear it and would be better served if I just used my vote to make change instead. Then I remembered I live in a safe Tory seat and tumbled down the "everything is fucking pointless and shit" rabbit hole.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Alex said:

I was aware of that actually. Which makes it even more pathetic when you think about it. People who didn’t live through it being nostalgic for something that was propaganda anyway 

Propaganda is the new truth !!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

If you get 2 full doses then it's the same as the flu jab. About 66%. Getting a half dose in your first jab bumps the efficacy up to 90% though. Still not clear what dosing regime they are going to use in the UK. 

BMJ paper:

The trials of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine did include different spacing between doses, finding that a longer gap (two to three months) led to a greater immune response, but the overall participant numbers were small. In the UK study 59% (1407 of 2377) of the participants who had two standard doses received the second dose between nine and 12 weeks after the first. In the Brazil study only 18.6% (384 of 2063) received a second dose between nine and 12 weeks after the first.3 The combined trial results, published in the Lancet,4 found that vaccine efficacy 14 days after a second dose was higher in the group that had more than six weeks between the two doses (65.4%) than in the group that had less than six weeks between doses (53.4%).

In their joint statement the chief medical officers said that data provided to the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) showed that, although optimal efficacy was achieved through two doses, both vaccines “offer considerable protection after a single dose, at least in the short term.”

Original Lancet paper on the Oxford vaccine:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140673620326611

Yeah I was aware of those figures but someone was saying a couple of weeks ago that it's now 90% effective. I hadn't seen any new trial evidence to support that or what level of dosage we're actually rolling out.

Khan declares state of emergency in London 

Speaking alongside Boris Johnson at a Downing Street press conference on Thursday, Simon Stevens, the chief executive of NHS England, said hospitals in London were now receiving 800 Covid patients a day, the equivalent of the entire capacity of St Thomas’, one of the capital’s flagship hospitals.

Getting the Pfizer jab next week. Feel a bit guilty because undoubtedly some staff and patients need it more than me but on the other hand I am in a care bubble so it will also indirectly benefit 3 others. Only got to survive the weekend now..... 

• Like 2

My Mam is NHS finance staff and refused her first vaccine for the same reasons except from she’s 63 and diabetic. 

I made sure she didn’t refuse the second. We’re off to the centre for life on Sunday :lol: 

• Like 1

I got a text from GP asking if I was a key worker this week. Just been to pharmacy at GPs, saw two receptionists who told me they’d had their jab, so am thinking I’ll get mine soon..

Brother in law, senior nursing practitioner in respiratory department at the local Trust hasn’t had his..

His missus, teaching key workers kids, hasn’t had it..

fuckin lottery 

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

My Mam is NHS finance staff and refused her first vaccine for the same reasons except from she’s 63 and diabetic. 

I made sure she didn’t refuse the second. We’re off to the centre for life on Sunday :lol: 

:lol:

What can I say, I'm a selfish twat. No way was I turning this down. 

I wouldn't feel guilty about it at all. As PaddockLad says, rollout is going to be a lottery at best and a shitshow at worst, plus every person vaccinated has a positive knock-on effect on the general transmission picture whoever it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renton said:

:lol:

What can I say, I'm a selfish twat. No way was I turning this down. 

I’m not sure she was being altruistic as much as daft. :lol: 

I didn’t react well and she was straight away booked up on the next batch.