Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

1 minute ago, Monkeys Fist said:

How are they getting them here- by ambulance presumably? 
So the crews, who’ll originate from London, are travelling 300 odd miles, with an infected person, and then dropping them here. 
I’d guess that they need a stay-over before returning, or a good break at the very least, presumably in a hotel. 

Isn’t this just spreading the virus around the country? 

I think each patient reqyire 2 support staff plus an ambulance. It's clear that the Nightingale hospitals were a basically just an expensive PR exercise, plus I'd be interested to know if the owner of the Excel centre is a tory donor. The problem for a lot of trusts isn't so much covid capacity but the impact this is having on everything else, including urgent surgery. The whole thing is a practical and ethical nightmare. Its evident the NHS is already overrun in places, despite government denials. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Renton said:

Also in the same briefing no priority vaccination for teachers. Sorry Gemmill. 

Aye she's since been told to pipe down though. I don't know why they let these medical types do press conferences cos, as soon as they finish, the PM spokesperson is rubbishing what they've said. 

Edited by Gemmill

1610 deaths today. Difficult to get my head round that, more than one person dying per minute, in a relatively small country. 😒

I think this week will be the peak and I hope this country never again sees death on this scale. 

8 minutes ago, Renton said:

1610 deaths today. Difficult to get my head round that, more than one person dying per minute, in a relatively small country. 😒

I think this week will be the peak and I hope this country never again sees death on this scale. 

They'll open up too soon again, nailed on

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, ewerk said:

They aren't actually using deaths as a metric of success though. It's all about hospital capacity, whether the patients live or die is irrelevant to the decision makers.

Hardly irrelevant. A dead patient frees up a bed. I've long argued the most cost effective medical device is a gun. 

Edited by Renton

Had a chat with my dad the other day, see how him and my mam are getting on, moan about NUFC etc and talking about vaccine etc and if they've had a letter yet as they're both in their 70's and also mentioned that my eldest had had one. Anyway, he said he'd much rather the likes of me had it, (people who have to go to work), than themselves, (need to get the economy going), and he was reading in the paper a German 'expert' slaughtering the German (or French!), response to the vaccine rollout and how good a job it was that Johnson had hot us out and we're doing much better than Europe as they have to all agree and if one dithers the rest can't do anything. We also completely invented the vaccine and ours is better than the others and we're lucky we're not in Europe as we'll hopefully get it quicker. I've barely seen them both so I wasn't going to start an argument so managed a quick 'not sure about that, dad' and changed the subject. Dad's not a racist gammon, he's ex-army but not your typical 'our boys' type but he was a labour voter but around twenty + years ago switched from the mirror to the daily mail and occasionally the sun. It's not a quick process it's more a long drip drip effect but it's sad to see it as he's a genuinely lovely, helpful bloke who really would go the extra mile to help out. He's no gammon, more a boxer from animal farm if anything. I fucking hate the newspapers we have in this country, they're insidious, sheer poison. They voted Brexit so the long term poison worked. Lament over.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Had a chat with my dad the other day, see how him and my mam are getting on, moan about NUFC etc and talking about vaccine etc and if they've had a letter yet as they're both in their 70's and also mentioned that my eldest had had one. Anyway, he said he'd much rather the likes of me had it, (people who have to go to work), than themselves, (need to get the economy going), and he was reading in the paper a German 'expert' slaughtering the German (or French!), response to the vaccine rollout and how good a job it was that Johnson had hot us out and we're doing much better than Europe as they have to all agree and if one dithers the rest can't do anything. We also completely invented the vaccine and ours is better than the others and we're lucky we're not in Europe as we'll hopefully get it quicker. I've barely seen them both so I wasn't going to start an argument so managed a quick 'not sure about that, dad' and changed the subject. Dad's not a racist gammon, he's ex-army but not your typical 'our boys' type but he was a labour voter but around twenty + years ago switched from the mirror to the daily mail and occasionally the sun. It's not a quick process it's more a long drip drip effect but it's sad to see it as he's a genuinely lovely, helpful bloke who really would go the extra mile to help out. He's no gammon, more a boxer from animal farm if anything. I fucking hate the newspapers we have in this country, they're insidious, sheer poison. They voted Brexit so the long term poison worked. Lament over.

That line really got me. In all honesty, what good is democracy when all people hear are lies and they haven't got the skills to differentiate? I don't think it is democracy if it's not informed.

Meanwhile it turns out my uncle is an antivaxxer and has turned down the jab. Educated to degree level in the 60s and obviously an idiot regardless. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Renton said:

That line really got me. In all honesty, what good is democracy when all people hear are lies and they haven't got the skills to differentiate? I don't think it is democracy if it's not informed.

Meanwhile it turns out my uncle is an antivaxxer and has turned down the jab. Educated to degree level in the 60s and obviously an idiot regardless. 

I watch a lot of stuff like Pointless and The Chase to chill and its really disheartening to see the politics rounds come up and see how many people are genuinely oblivious to basics like anyone who's not PM or what party names they do know belong to. 

I

• Like 1

If we were close to a properly functioning democracy with a free press then you’d be lucky to have 25% support for this government, let alone the election-winning levels they have at the minute. The lies have been shown to work do it's going to get worse if anything. 

Is there a tipping point where people of a certain age no longer buy newspapers? I’m 36 and don’t know a single person who buys one.

Not sure it will be any better if they are gone like, with people getting their “news” from the internet.

1 hour ago, strawb said:

Is there a tipping point where people of a certain age no longer buy newspapers? I’m 36 and don’t know a single person who buys one.

Not sure it will be any better if they are gone like, with people getting their “news” from the internet.

In the past pretty much all age groups read newspapers, but technology has changed that and I ould say now its mainly retired people. I used to get a weekend paper but stopped about 5 years ago. Mainly because I could get more current news for free elsewhere. More recently because I can't read news print without glasses now anyway. I still watch BBC or Channel 4 news quite regularly mind. 

3 hours ago, strawb said:

36! Fucking hell who let this nipper into the adults section!?

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, strawb said:

Fuck off you old cunts, do you all have to use a magnifying glass to read the forum on your phone?

No. You can zoom the words now with your fingers you know. Takes ages like, especially when your fingers are arthritic. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Phone? I read the forum on a ZX Spectrum with 300 baud modem.

I used to leave notes on the old paper board next to The Strawberry