Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

They fucked up at the start. That’s clear. We had clear warnings from Europe and ignored them. What is criminal though is that most of the deaths have come from November on. More than six months into this thing and the government was finding bigger and better ways to fuck up. Yet they still appear to have the support of the public and much of the media.

• Like 3

_116704567_dailyexpress-nc.png

If I were the EU I'd be saying the same thing, do what you can to get as many doses as possible but this is one of the few areas where the Tory's plan of spending like a drunken sailor has paid off. We signed up for this vaccine way before the EU and they haven't even approved it for use yet. I think it's fair enough for us to have priority at this time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

They fucked up at the start. That’s clear. We had clear warnings from Europe and ignored them. What is criminal though is that most of the deaths have come from November on. More than six months into this thing and the government was finding bigger and better ways to fuck up. Yet they still appear to have the support of the public and much of the media.

I just posted that diary because it illustrates perfectly how ill-prepared they were. A common thread with this government - that screeching uturn on herd immunity in March  was echoed in January when Johnson told Marr on the Sunday that schools were safe before closing them 48 hours later. 

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

_116704567_dailyexpress-nc.png

If I were the EU I'd be saying the same thing, do what you can to get as many doses as possible but this is one of the few areas where the Tory's plan of spending like a drunken sailor has paid off. We signed up for this vaccine way before the EU and they haven't even approved it for use yet. I think it's fair enough for us to have priority at this time.

A few points of order here. As far as I am aware, there was no priority clause in the contracts so I'm not sure us signing up before the EU makes any legal difference. Both contracts were made before phase 2 trial results were known and well before any manufacturing was ready. The initial batches of the AZ vaccine we used were actually imported from  Belgium as the UK plant had technical issues early on, now it appears more the other way round. AZ only applied for EU authorisation on the 12th January, its completely unrealistic to expect the EMA to have granted a license already especially given the somewhat dubious quality of the trial data and lack of data on older subjects. It does appear that the late submission of the data was somewhat tactical to delay EU roll-out because they knew they couldn't deliver. 

On balance I think the EU are entitled to know what the production of the EU AZ plant is and know who the product is going to now. They paid half a billion euros upfront. It appears AZ over promised and undelivered, maybe taking their lead from Johnson. Ultimately though this type of vaccine nationalism sickens me. I believe the whole of Europe should have been part of an equitable roll out of vaccine so those that needed it most got it first, whether they are Italian or English. We do have one of the greatest needs mind as the pandemic is so out of control here. Instead of international cooperation we get mationalistic protectionism and all too predictable headlines like this. Let's hope this is nipped in the bud because at the end of the day most the vaccines we will need going forward  are foreign made.

• Like 1

Just now, Renton said:

Was just going to post that...what the fuck to those cunts think they're playing at?  Brexit was just a bad idea to me, didn't think the EU had much affect on me either way, flags, blue passports etc are nonsense. Much more of this though I might start to regret my vote...

AZ obviously tipped Hancock the wink. Is that what they're pissed about? Looks like UK did nothing wrong but now they're making up new rules to stop it?... 

3 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Was just going to post that...what the fuck to those cunts think they're playing at?  Brexit was just a bad idea to me, didn't think the EU had much affect on me either way, flags, blue passports etc are nonsense. Much more of this though I might start to regret my vote...

AZ obviously tipped Hancock the wink. Is that what they're pissed about? Looks like UK did nothing wrong but now they're making up new rules to stop it?... 

If we were inside the EU though and they were shipping vaccines from the EU to the USA to our detriment would you feel the same?

This is how it is to be outside the tent rather than inside.

2 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Thing is it'll all come down to the contracts.

EU has contracts for Y million doses

UK has orders for X million doses

Lump of the X million doses (and some of the Y are made here), and visa versa I suspect. 

AZ hit production issues and can't fulfil Y, so EU says you must deliver equitable amounts, UK say well they're made here so they are all ours, EU are simply doing the same.

We left the club, they're going to protect themselves as best they can, quite rightly, as we'll do same.

End of the day everyone in the world needs the jab, so it's all rather short sighted.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

In all these things, you need to take a step back and look at it from the perspective of the other side. AZ has a contract with the EU they are not fulfilling, meanwhile they are supplying the UK. AZ won't send the vaccine from the UK plant to the EU. But the contract is between the EU and AZ, the location of the manufacturing plant is not relevant. Both the UK and EU should be treat equitably. If this doesn't happen then the EU might retaliate through Pfizer, which is after all a German US concern manufactured in the EU.

To me it goes to show even more what a shit show Brexit is. If it comes to an all out vaccine war, I know who the loser will be. We'll be left with the shit AZ vaccine that can't be easily modified  

• Like 1