Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

5 hours ago, Renton said:

I thought about "Yes Gemmill" but will put it here. My sister died last night. Chest infection (pneumonia) due to immunosuppression caused by chemotherapy. Not covid, but the way she died is related. They wouldn't let me see her at hospital and then she died alone, gasping for breath. To my dying day I will be haunted in the knowledge I wasn't there for her when she needed me most. This pandemic is an utter cunt. Devastated. 

I'm really sorry to hear that, Rents. 

5 hours ago, Renton said:

I thought about "Yes Gemmill" but will put it here. My sister died last night. Chest infection (pneumonia) due to immunosuppression caused by chemotherapy. Not covid, but the way she died is related. They wouldn't let me see her at hospital and then she died alone, gasping for breath. To my dying day I will be haunted in the knowledge I wasn't there for her when she needed me most. This pandemic is an utter cunt. Devastated. 

Sorry to hear that. Awful times.

So sorry to hear that, Renton. Much love to you and your family. I echo what people have said about looking after yourself - and I know we're just some blokes (and Cath) on an internet forum but if venting on here helps you out there in the real world, you know we're always around.

Many heartfelt thanks for all the kind replies. I am feeling much better today, I've kept myself busy organising things which has actually helped. Dealing with personal effects is especially hard and seems to be my trigger. Also I have had to go through her contacts list phoning her friends individually to let them know - she didn't do social media and neither do I. Thank God her phone was unlocked. Hoping the funeral directors will take over tomorrow in organising things.

I am going to take some positives out of this, mainly that in the end it was a rapid death without the weeks and months of suffering I have seen other friends and relatives endure due to cancer. I have seen people rot in agony in a way you wouldn't let a dog suffer, thank God that was avoided.

Also two bits of advice. First one sounds incredibly trite, it's live life to the full every day. We aren't here for very long and every moment counts. Don't let relationships fester, don't stick with jobs you hate etc. How many people have said this but you've ignored the advice? I know I have, but its true. Second is more specific, if you find a person close to you in this situation make a fuss with the hospital to let you see them and for God's sake make sure the hospital has your correct contact details. Miscommunication has caused a bad outcome for me and if there was one thing I would turn back time on it would be that. Truly I believe now things can only get better for me this year, starting today. 

• Like 15

Of course I'm not. I'm a young, hip 36. But I know someone at the doctor's surgery who mentioned they have occasional cancellations and vaccines that need used up so I got the call at 12.10 and by 12.40 was having it injected into me. You've got to love the system.

Sorry Gemmill, I got mine this morning too. 35.

Im no challenging for any sexiest awards though. Fuckers kept repeatedly asking me if I was in good health. A few raised eyebrows and "you're sure? YOU FEEL WELL??" They might aswell have said "you look like absolute shit mate" 

Edited by Blastronaut

12 minutes ago, Ant said:

Fuck sake, culchies just skipping the queue ! I'm in my 30's and  key to the food security in northern Ireland where's my jab!

Thought your jab was key to the food security in Northern Ireland. To be sure, to be sure.

• Haha 5

15 minutes ago, Ant said:

Fuck sake, culchies just skipping the queue ! I'm in my 30's and  key to the food security in northern Ireland where's my jab!

I'll be sipping pints in no time while you and your ilk will be outside with your noses against the window.

"The team investigated all possibilities, including one theory that the virus had originated at the Wuhan Institute of Virology. The institute is the world's leading authority on the collection, storage and study of bat coronaviruses."

:lol: I didn't even know that bit before either. What are the odds!

Edited by TheGingerQuiff