Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

Johnson wanted chaos because it meant he was in control.

Johnson actively opposed closing borders because he prioritised the economy over people's lives.

All of this is stuff we knew but to hear it thrown back like this as undeniable truth is somehow even more painful. You think in the back of your mind sometimes that maybe you're a conspiracy theorist and the Tories aren't that bad, that they must have their reasons, but this is 100% the picture that many of us had for the past year, writ large by one of its chief architects.

This is appalling.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

What a little grass

For the good of the country though. Cummings finally doing the right thing, albeit I'm dubious on whether or not its for the right reasons.

31 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

For the good of the country though. Cummings finally doing the right thing, albeit I'm dubious on whether or not its for the right reasons.

Only dubious? I'm convinced it's entirely self-serving. Cummings would let London burn if it got him what he wants. Little different to most political people, to be fair.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Only dubious? I'm convinced it's entirely self-serving. Cummings would let London burn if it got him what he wants. Little different to most political people, to be fair.

The only point I struggle with a bit on that, is what it is that he wants. I really don't think he's a politician in any sense. I'm not at all clear on what he stands to gain from this, it certainly doesn't make him look good even by his own admission.

14 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

The only point I struggle with a bit on that, is what it is that he wants. I really don't think he's a politician in any sense. I'm not at all clear on what he stands to gain from this, it certainly doesn't make him look good even by his own admission.

What does he want? Couldn't it just be simple revenge? I don't think he's a politician, but I do think he's political. 

9 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Purely a coincidence I'm sure but they've had a few similar coincidences in the past.

they couldn't have known he was about to out her at that exact moment they cut away to the other channel

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

What does he want? Couldn't it just be simple revenge? I don't think he's a politician, but I do think he's political. 

the one person he hasn't thrown under the bus is sunak. 

he definitely didn't have to fuck johnson over thish much but has had it in for him since he pointed the finger in his direction over the greesnill leaks

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

he definitely didn't have to fuck johnson over thish much but has had it in for him since he pointed the finger in his direction over the greesnill leaks

I thought Gove was escaping untouched?

6 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Ah ok, yes - I can see that. I thought you meant some kind of grand plot to get back into power. Yes, presumably at least part of this is coming from the desire to stick it to those who shafted him, absolutely. Still though, this is some length to go to.

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Sunak was basically handpicked for the Chancellorship by Cummings himself iirc. And Gove idk, he's not exactly been altogether visible throughout this anyway. I couldn't even tell you what his position in the government is at the moment.

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

Sunak was basically handpicked for the Chancellorship by Cummings himself iirc. And Gove idk, he's not exactly been altogether visible throughout this anyway. I couldn't even tell you what his position in the government is at the moment.

As CDL he’s basically a minister without portfolio. Word in Whitehall is he’s the one pulling the strings 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

As CDL he’s basically a minister without portfolio. Word in Whitehall is he’s the one pulling the strings 

Aye, he's the one to watch out for I reckon. Cummings was disposable, Frost will be soon, then you have sycophants like Mancock, evil opportunists like Patel, in for a laugh rich boys like Sunak. Johnson is a useful idiot with Churchillfetish. Gove is clever enough to know he does not possess the charisma to be PM so will hide behind someone else until his time comes, in whatever role suits. Oh aye, his wife is vile too. 

• Like 1

looks like cummings is doubling down on rishi as next PM.

to what end, i don't know. he is surely too toxic for any future government to go near again. 

maybe it is just about revenge 

Edited by Dr Gloom

I've watched all of this today and have been really impressed by Cummings tbf. He's not daft, he's talked a load of sense, and clearly had his head in the right place when Johnson was making all his wacky decisions. The way he's just talked about the insanity of the delay over the second lockdown was really good. 

For anyone not watching it, he basically set up a meeting in September but said that the meeting will take the format of us presenting to the PM the data as it will exist a month from now. That way we can make a decision today based on where we're going to end up. 

He said, when presented with that data and all the warnings about the NHS being overwhelmed etc, there are two logical directions you can go in. 

A. You decide not to lockdown and to let the wave wash over and accept all of the negative outcomes. 

B. You decide to lockdown because the negative outcomes are too much to bear.

But if you choose option B, you do it NOW. Because the exponential nature of the pandemic demands that. It means you have to lockdown less deep and for less time. 

But instead you had the idiotic PM deciding that a lockdown would be required but then delaying it for weeks and letting all the thousands of people that get infected in the interim period possibly die. 

Basically the same as anyone with a basic fucking grasp of logic was thinking/saying at the time. 

And he said the reason Johnson was fucking raging and made the "let the bodies pile high" comment was because he knew that everyone in the room was looking at him in disbelief and thinking "we gave you this fucking data in that mock meeting back in September. You've let this happen" 

How anyone in the country can listen to this or read it in their papers tomorrow and still support this cunt is beyond me. 

Edited by Gemmill
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I've watched all of this today and have been really impressed by Cummings tbf. He's not daft, he's talked a load of sense, and clearly had his head in the right place when Johnson was making all his wacky decisions. The way he's just talked about the insanity of the delay over the second lockdown was really good. 

i agree. i watched most of it and found him far more convincing than i expected. 

what i don't get is why he did it. what's his motivation? he failed to show up to the select committee on brexit. what was it about today? pure revenge? ambition? seems unlikely as surely no future government will touch him.

has he found a moral compass after all? 

Edited by Dr Gloom

9 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i agree. i watched most of ity and found him far more convincing than i expected. 

what i don't get is why he did it. what's his motivation? he failed to show up to the elect committee on brexit. what was it about today? pure revenge? ambition? seems unlikely as surely no future government will touch him.

has he found a moral compass after all? 

He said himself that he's got no interest in being part of a future administration. Maybe genuine conscience? He clearly knows that he's partly responsible for what has happened, based on the apologies he made, so maybe he just believes that the others that are responsible should have to take their lumps.