Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

5 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

It's not exactly set up for that though, is it? China is heavily reliant upon international trade and the impact of releasing a virus as infectious as this is more or less what we have seen. The whole world shuts down because no one can contain or control it., leading to active harm to China itself. So we can take from that, that the virus was not developed to be targeted. If this is a manmade virus, it is one that was developed with a view to infecting the entire world, not just a single enemy.

Moreover, it's kill rate isn't actually that high.

If it's manmade they get a 3.5 out of 10 from me. Poor targeting, zero control over the effects, not potent. Must do better.

That's assuming it's the finished product and was deliberately released.

10 minutes ago, The Fish said:

That's assuming it's the finished product and was deliberately released.

Not entirely sure they'd start with work towards a super infectious strain that lacked potency instead of the other way around in that case, but if you say so. I find it very hard to believe. It's just an entirely futile endeavour.

But yes, accidental release of something that was being tested in a lab is possible. If it was all routine testing and it just escaped though, I'm not sure what difference any enquiry makes other than to pointlessly ramp up anti-China sentiment. And I say 'pointlessly' here because if it was an accidental release then it's not at the behest of the Chinese government and is likely the incompetence of a single individual.

Edited by Rayvin

25 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I think the crucial point here is whether you, Trump, or anyone else had any evidence upon which to base the claim. Certainly Trump didn't or else it would have been shared. I recall you mentioned a doctor who made some kind of claim to this point but I also recall that I read the claim and found insufficient evidence to trust it.

Having lived in China I am fully, fully prepared to believe that the CCP are capable of creating a killer virus (not that I would entirely see an obvious reason as to why they might have done it), in the same way that I am fully prepared to believe they've actively committing genocide in Xinjiang, that they have a really low concern level around human rights and indeed life in general, and that they're pretty much capable of anything. I mean, I also believe this last point about our government but that's an aside.

The ultimate fundamental in all of this though, is that we need actual proof. And at the moment, neither you or Biden himself have any actual proof of this. I don't think accusing the Chinese government of these things is racist btw - it just could be baseless.

Oh come on :lol:

TBF mate I said the same thing when Russia poisoned people and the whole country decided to dispense with due process and named them guilty with no investigation :lol: I'm a firm believer in evidence based policy and decision making, no matter how 'likely' something is.

19 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Not entirely sure they'd start with work towards a super infectious strain that lacked potency instead of the other way around in that case, but if you say so. I find it very hard to believe. It's just an entirely futile endeavour.

But yes, accidental release of something that was being tested in a lab is possible. If it was all routine testing and it just escaped though, I'm not sure what difference any enquiry makes other than to pointlessly ramp up anti-China sentiment. And I say 'pointlessly' here because if it was an accidental release then it's not at the behest of the Chinese government and is likely the incompetence of a single individual.

You clearly haven't played Plague Inc. 

I don’t go near twitter much and I’m not on Facebook but I’m willing to bet that’s where a huge proportion of people get their info from. No doubt Cummings has now been outed as a leftist agent on there 

Here we go again 

The number of cases of the Indian COVID variant in England has risen by 3,535 to 6,959 since last week, according to official figures

This is was always going to happen as restrictions ease. There are still lots of young and unvaccinated people still in the population spreading it around.

As long as it doesn’t lead to a big increase in hospitalisations and a new vaccine-proof variant, and as long as the vaccine rollout continues at pace, we might still be ok.

Those who get it and aren’t vaccinated will have the antibodies. Combine that with the increasing number of vaccinated people and hopefully we are getting closer to herd immunity.

The great unlocking next month is starting to look ambitious though. A new variant emerging from increased transmission is the obvious fear.

Edited by Dr Gloom

5 hours ago, The Fish said:

To... to kill people? 

To have in their back pocket should they ever need to disrupt an enemy during a dispute?

Given how infectious it is surely it would have made sense to develop a cure/vaccine? China’s vaccines are shit. Not exactly indicative of a nation developing it for biological warfare.

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Given how infectious it is surely it would have made sense to develop a cure/vaccine? China’s vaccines are shit. Not exactly indicative of a nation developing it for biological warfare.

Aye. "Great, just created this highly contagious and deadly virus. Better test it on myself first to see how effective it is".

54 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

I think the theory is it escaped by accident 

So at least three levels of conspiracy theory:

1. China created a deadly contagious virus to take out their enemies

2. Accidentally released it on their own populace first

3. Still came out on top.

Load of shite.