Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

Remember a few years ago I got a £3k tax rebate. Within 6 months I'd spent 90% of it on that fucking piece of shit car.

36 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I got £8k back once. Spunked the lot in 12months on the house. Should have bought a motorbike instead 

I wish I'd spent mine on the house. Or a holiday. Or big ol' bag of crystal meth. Anything other than the money pit. Bought the car for £6k in 2018, spent over £3k on repairs (let alone Insurance, fuel, MOTs, services etc.) and got a good deal by selling it for £900 last year.

Climbing again

The UK has reported 16,135 new COVID-19 cases and another 19 coronavirus-related deaths in the latest 24-hour period, according to government data.

13 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

:gay: :gay: :gay:

We've moved onto a VW Tiguan and a KIA Ceed because I am a 'Soccer Mom'.

14 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

:lol: 

Tits oot for the lads, then. 

Hoo! I don't have any pandemic padding, thankyou very much. 

Positively svelte.

5 hours ago, The Fish said:

We've moved onto a VW Tiguan and a KIA Ceed because I am a 'Soccer Mom'.

We have a Kia Nero Hybrid its brilliant on fuel. We're roughly getting 56 mpg. 

In the last year, we've barely used the fucKiang thing. I'm now working from home on the regular, and Mrs Fish works from home most days too. Literally picked it up about a fortnight before lockdown. :lol: 

Another 16k+ new infections again today.

The UK has reported 16,703 new COVID-19 cases and another 21 coronavirus-related deaths in the latest 24-hour period, according to government data.

1 hour ago, trooper said:

Another 16k+ new infections again today.

The UK has reported 16,703 new COVID-19 cases and another 21 coronavirus-related deaths in the latest 24-hour period, according to government data.

It’s over / lock thread. 

16 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

It’s over / lock thread. 

:lol: :suicide:

Anyway, while I wasn't coming here to post that, I was coming to post this, at least. Worth bearing in mind alongside the daily drip-feed of statistical gloom.

16 hours ago, Meenzer said:

:lol: :suicide:

Anyway, while I wasn't coming here to post that, I was coming to post this, at least. Worth bearing in mind alongside the daily drip-feed of statistical gloom.

it feels like the vaccine is winning the race. the inevitable spike in new infections hasn't led to a surge in hospital admissions or deaths. the nhs is coping.

i'm not going to go as far as CT and say it's over - new vaccine-resistant variants and long covid remain a concern - but we're close to covid becoming an illness that we live alongside, like flu. some people will catch it every year, some will get sick, most people will be ok or immune.

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

it feels like the vaccine is winning the race. the inevitable spike in new infections hasn't led to a surge in hospital admissions or deaths. the nhs is coping.

i'm not going to go as far as CT and say it's over - new vaccine-resistant variants and long covid remain a concern - but we're close to covid becoming an illness that we live alongside, like flu. some people will catch it every year, some will get sick, most people will be ok or immune.

I agree largely, except for the comparisons with flu. The delta variant has an estimate natural R rate of 5 (possibly as high as 7), whereas influenza is about 1.3. That's clearly massively different and brings much more challenges. But the vaccines are working, if we avoid a vaccine escaping variant we are nearly in the clear.