Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

It is apparently tearing through secondary schools in London too, which is proving a nightmare for children preparing for mock exams and teachers who are struggling to juggle the number of children learning virtually and those in still in the classroom. 

The rise in infections is a concern but hospital admissions are still relatively low. Does that not suggest the vaccine is working?

The moment the vaccine stops protecting against the dominant variant and the NHS looks in trouble then I would agree it’s time to hit the panic button again. 

We’re not out of the woods, mainly because of Johnson’s dithering. I can see the unlocking being delayed a little but not for long. How long do we live like this? How about when the entire adult population is vaccinated? I don’t see how it could be justified at that point 

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

It is apparently tearing through secondary schools in London too, which is proving a nightmare for children preparing for mock exams and teachers who are struggling to juggle the number of children learning virtually and those in still in the classroom. 

The rise in infections is a concern but hospital admissions are still relatively low. Does that not suggest the vaccine is working?

The moment the vaccine stops protecting against the dominant variant and the NHS looks in trouble then I would agree it’s time to hit the panic button again. 

We’re not out of the woods, mainly because of Johnson’s dithering. I can see the unlocking being delayed a little but not for long. How long do we live like this? How about when the entire adult population is vaccinated? I don’t see how it could be justified at that point 

Its kids who are getting z& spreading it now. Also there's plenty of people who have been double jabbed getting it. Obviously everybody wants a return to some kind of normality. But what will be acceptable unlocking when we have between 50/60k new infections in a few weeks. Before you know it we'll be in over a 100k in no time 

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Yeah, I agree. Hospitalisations have already doubled from their lowest point earlier and will probably at least double again. I don't think 500 admissions a day for this over summer is nothing but we are where we are, society simply can't go on like this, especially concerning education. But I just don't think things will be normal like they were 2 years ago either, some forms of social distancing and testing will probably remain., or should Not until the second generation vaccines come out and/or this thing evolves to become less harmful, which is more than possible. We'd have been completely fucked if this had hit 20 years ago before PCR mass testing and rapid vaccination was possible like. 

18 minutes ago, Renton said:

You might be right (although this is much, much more infectious than 'flu). What do you propose out of interest at this point then? Shall we just let it rip and be done with it, stop social distancing and isolation for those affected? Treat it the same as 'flu essentially? I suspect ultimately we'll have to, but aren't you just a bit annoyed this was allowed to happen. again? We could have been in a much better position, but here we are. 

I think that’s all we can do. People will have to decide for themselves whether they want to attend a match, go to the theatre or pub and whether they want to continue to wear a mask.

I think if we ever want to return to any sense of normal, then this is about as good as it gets.

As for variants, I honestly don’t think there’s any stopping them. They will always find a way through. So many routes in.

I’m just pretty pleased we seem to have some very clever people in science looking at all of this and that it has targeted the old rather than kids.

Horrific to imagine it had been the other way around.

25 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I think London is a tough situation given the population diversity.

Been very lucky here. I have one in primary, one in secondary and another who is a teacher and so far no time missed.

9 minutes ago, trooper said:

Highest infections were in early January this year (59+k) we could easily reach or surpass that figure by July 19th

But that’s infections Trooper not hospitalisation or deaths. Thankfully the vaccines are working.

Ive been as scared of this as anybody given my wife has severe asthma, but it’s clear as day that the vaccines are working.

That said I’m still not back in a taxi yet but that’s mainly because I would like my teacher daughter to have her second jab before I risk bringing it home.

Newcastle schools are getting hammered apparently. Loads of staff off and the supply agencies don't have enough people to plug the gap. Could be a decision taken to close early for the summer holidays. 

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

Newcastle schools are getting hammered apparently. Loads of staff off and the supply agencies don't have enough people to plug the gap. Could be a decision taken to close early for the summer holidays. 

:panic:

3 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

But that’s infections Trooper not hospitalisation or deaths. Thankfully the vaccines are working.

Ive been as scared of this as anybody given my wife has severe asthma, but it’s clear as day that the vaccines are working.

That said I’m still not back in a taxi yet but that’s mainly because I would like my teacher daughter to have her second jab before I risk bringing it home.

Aye my youngest daughter & youngest son who still live at home havent had their 2nd jab yet ( 11th Julyz) i guess we'll all feel a bit safer once they are sorted 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

Yes.

1st wave hospital admissions were at 3,000 a day, In January upto 4,000 a day.

The last 10 weeks, even after the big reopening in May, hospital admissions have in the 200 hundreds a day.

You’re still a cunt. Welcome back 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Alex said:

You’re still a cunt. Welcome back 

:lol: I’m not really back. Know nowt about football and politics is too confrontational these days. Just happened I’d finished the pergola over my fish pond as was a few beers in.

Still enjoy reading though. 

Anyway Quiffs took my place ;)

19 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

That said I’m still not back in a taxi yet

Life’s hard below the poverty threshold, eh? 

Stay strong, Strong Britain, Love Boris, Get fucked. 

It’s been a brilliant idea that you added the Baleares and other holiday destinations to the green list. Nearly as good as UEFA’s idea to make sure fans are travelling all over Europe.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Renton said:

If you're dismissing hundreds of admission for a respiratory illness everyday - in summer - as inconsequential then you're right. And btw I hope to God you are right and things can go back to normal now, because I'm sick of this shit too. 

Unfortunately i've heard reports from Bobby Malingerer at work that Delta causes a new illness called Even Longer Covid :(

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

You what? You on furlough or what? You must be fuckin' (even more) massive now.

10 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

You what? You on furlough or what? You must be fuckin' (even more) massive now.

i doubt he was burning that many calories sat in a cab all day. might have done him good if anything 

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

i doubt he was burning that many calories sat in a cab all day. might have done him good if anything 

:lol: I did consider that before I posted, but I imagine your lifestyle changes when you don't have to drive a taxi. The obligation to stay sober reduces for example

• Haha 1