Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

1 hour ago, Renton said:

We got lucky in that the vaccines work against the variant, nearly fully if you've had 2 jabs. But if Johnson hadn't seeded this we would have very low prevalence now like Germany and we could have fully opened up on schedule. So just looking at it economically, not closing the border with India probably costs us a few extra billion. 

I am not sure if we won’t catch up in a few weeks time, especially with the holiday season starting soon.

It’s going to be epic karma for Thompers to catch covid despite being vaccinated with long term effects setting in…

The lancet paper that was linked early in this thread nailed it tbh. Every time you relax lockdown covid will spike. You either have intermittent lockdowns until it mutates into something more benign, or you vaccinate the whole country and then open up and deal with the consequences.

Theres probably a 3rd option, where you open everything up but keep attendance limits on things like nightclubs, football matches, gigs etc and make masks mandatory in busy places... but it sounds like the government have backed themselves into a corner about "freedom" and we are going to have a free for all in 3 weeks. Cue the UK being on an EU wide-travel ban when our cases go through the roof. And the papers suggesting it's all linked to Brexit envy 

18 minutes ago, ewerk said:

The EU is going to face the same problem though, albeit it slightly delayed just like it was with the second wave.

Exactly. Delta will slip through but it is just about how long it will take and how much it will get contained.

59 minutes ago, ewerk said:

The EU is going to face the same problem though, albeit it slightly delayed just like it was with the second wave.

Most countries are very close behind us in the vaccination stakes though aren't they? Today btw we have more cases of covid in the UK than the rest of the EU combined. It was entirely avoidable.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ewerk said:

Looking around the world it appears that we were getting Delta whether we stopped flights from India or not. Look at Australia and how strict their quarantine has been. 

Although for all we are supposed to have a hard border, the number of people who are being allowed to leave (no problem with that) and then come back once they have been to a family funeral, wedding, conference (followed by quick holiday - nothing wrong with that!) is significant, especially as a number of those have been to Delta hotspots.

Getting out of hand in NSW which is an issue.  They have always been the "gold standard" of keeping the community safe and the economy open (allegedly), but are now suffering as a result of a single limousine driver not being vaccinated or (apparently) wearing PPE when driving overseas flight crew.

Up to about 250 cases (I know, pathetic really), with significant numbers still wandering around outside while infectious.  Added to that, the vaccine roll out has been pathetic.

• Like 1

After 16 months of both of us working from home the whole time, I can safely say that, if anything, following Covid guidance leads to a significant reduction in homosexual behaviour.

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

After 15 months of both of us working from home the whole time, I can safely say that, if anything, following Covid guidance leads to a significant reduction in homosexual behaviour.

Do you not wear masks at home? Eh?:gay:

Edited by Isegrim

So masks are now going to be about ‘personal responsibility’ and the health Secretary reckons that dropping all covid restrictions is going to make us healthier. #ToryLogic

It's still packed trains that's my biggest worry rather than masks themselves. 

Maybe the supposed hybrid working pattern with less travelling will make it tolerable but we'll see. 

9 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Kids aren’t spreading the virus to any real extent compared with un vaccinated young adults 

It’s spreading like wildfire in secondary schools

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

It’s spreading like wildfire in secondary schools

Anecdotally a lot of kids are off school due to isolation but every day last week I heard some virologist or other on the news  saying its unvaccinated under 30s who are driving the spread of the delta varient. That's why the removal of restrictions last month was delayed so they can get vaccinated.  

Seeing as it's not compulsory for adults how can the government impose it on under 18s? Its not happening iyam

2 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Anecdotally a lot of kids are off school due to isolation but every day last week I heard some virologist or other on the news  saying its unvaccinated under 30s who are driving the spread of the delta varient. That's why the removal of restrictions last month was delayed so they can get vaccinated.  

Seeing as it's not compulsory for adults how can the government impose it on under 18s? Its not happening iyam

Daughter's boyfriend has it, 19, unvaccinated. Luckily she doesn't and has had both jabs otherwise I'd be isolating myself as I'd given her a lift on the Friday. A fair few of their friends have had it, definitely that age group and above who are probably spreading it the most imo.

1 minute ago, Howmanheyman said:

Daughter's boyfriend has it, 19, unvaccinated. Luckily she doesn't and has had both jabs otherwise I'd be isolating myself as I'd given her a lift on the Friday. A fair few of their friends have had it, definitely that age group and above who are probably spreading it the most imo.

Yeah...certainly not suggesting we continue with lockdown but the way the youths were carrying on at the club last night during the football it’s not a massive surprise..we’ve got to live with the fucker now...