Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

13 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Even if we do live like fannies, it could still mutate in another country and get into the country. There has to be an end game and we are there, the health service is coping. As long as the vaccines continue to update to more recent variants then we should be able to avoid a doomsday variant that is so different that it escapes a vaccine. But we need to cross the doomsday bridge if we come to it. 

it isn't hard to square up to the virus while it's tearing through the population. i'm all for getting back to normal life - had enough of this bullshit - but some pragmatism is required 

i think we should continue to unlock with mandatory mask-wearing in indoor public spaces. if we don't we will end up doing so anyway - see israel. 

get it into the thick british public's skulls that a minor inconvenience protects all of us - and the economy

Edited by Dr Gloom

11 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Even if we do live like fannies, it could still mutate in another country and get into the country. There has to be an end game and we are there, the health service is coping. As long as the vaccines continue to update to more recent variants then we should be able to avoid a doomsday variant that is so different that it escapes a vaccine. But we need to cross the doomsday bridge if we come to it. 

The risk of it mutating somewhere else is much higher with you lot carrying it into undervaccinated countries.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

The government had a chance to stop the worst excesses of the delta varient by closing the air border with India at the point when they put Pakistan and Bangladesh on the red list. They didn't do it till 3 weeks later during which time 20k people came in from India. This is because Johnson wants a decent trade deal with India to make up for the shit show caused by Brexit. Now the same man is suggesting we drop all restrictions just as the cases of the varient he let into the country en masse are rocketing. 

I don't trust him, he's made a cunt of this at every single point during the last 16 months. Now you're just going along with it when there are perfectly sound scientific and medical grounds for keeping certain  restrictions in place. It's got disaster written all over it again, anyone with an ounce of common sense can see it....

Irrespective of that it's hospitilising 1 in 1000. And that 1 is most likely an anti-vaxer. Any restrictions are disproportionate 

29 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

it isn't hard to square up to the virus while it's tearing through the population. i'm all for getting back to normal life - had enough of this bullshit - but some pragmatism is required 

i think we should continue to unlock with mandatory mask-wearing in indoor public spaces. if we don't we will end up doing so anyway - see israel. 

get it into the thick british public's skulls that a minor inconvenience protects all of us - and the economy

People that are concerned can continue to manage their own risk.

6 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

People that are concerned can continue to manage their own risk.

wearing a mask is about protecting other people

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

wearing a mask is about protecting other people

From what? People are vaccinated, not being hospitalised and aren't dying.

It's virtue signalling at this point 

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

1 minute ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

From what? People are vaccinated, not being hospitalised and aren't dying 

from catching the virus - try to keep up

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

If Starmer had suggested this unlocking you lot would be 100% behind it.

nonsense. i already i said a few posts up that i think we should continue to unlock but that it's reckless to abandon mask wearing at this stage. it's also pointless - as we saw from israel's experience. remember they are a month or two ahead of us

Coronavirus: Israel reimposes masks amid new virus fears

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-57594155

8 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

nonsense. i already i said a few posts up that i think we should continue to unlock but that it's reckless to abandon mask wearing at this stage. it's also pointless - as we saw from israel's experience. remember they are a month or two ahead of us

Coronavirus: Israel reimposes masks amid new virus fears

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-57594155

So what do we do? Wear masks forever? Every time a new scariant (copyright) emerges?

3 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Typical Gloom, always bringing the Jews up

This has given me an idea. I'm gonna patent the yarmaske. Don't leave home without one! 

29 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

🤣 a virus we're protected against.

It's a shame we don't do this every year to stop flu mutating and ending 20k lives.

Let's live like this forever. 

Even a pandemic response has become polarised. Tedious.

It hasn’t really become polarised. Unless you think showing some pragmatism and keeping some restrictions for now whilst opening up is the exact opposite of doing absolutely nothing and pretending cases aren’t rocketing for ideological reasons whilst ignoring scientific advice. It’s a bit like interviewing a virologist then getting Right Said Fred’s views for ‘balance’. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Alex said:

It hasn’t really become polarised. Unless you think showing some pragmatism and keeping some restrictions for now whilst opening up is the exact opposite of doing absolutely nothing and pretending cases aren’t rocketing for ideological reasons whilst ignoring scientific advice. It’s a bit like interviewing a virologist then getting Right Said Fred’s views for ‘balance’. 

No I think it's polarised because anything the nasty tories suggest will be attacked and will be wrong. If they'd suggested keeping masks then something else would be picked up on