Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

There's been no part of that discussion that wound me up tbf.  I think it's probably worth distinguishing between the general banter you lot seem to being having at the moment, and the occasional productive chat.

That said, if my involvement is aggravating others then I'll step back from it. I mean I think we're done now anyway.

Edited by Rayvin

My daughter's been sent home from school after being in close contact who has caught it and now is apparently quite ill. I'm worried, not just for the 10 days isolation, but because my wife is vulnerable. She had a really bad reaction to AZ but has found it impossible to get an mRNA vaccine so is only single jabbed. Hopefully she will be okay.

It's estimated that 3 million people will need to self isolate every week before restrictions end, but then what? It's going to be everywhere. And kids definitely do get sick, some get long covid. What an appalling mess we've got ourselves into and yet people think Johnson has done a good job? Joke of a country. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Renton said:

My daughter's been sent home from school after being in close contact who has caught it and now is apparently quite ill. I'm worried, not just for the 10 days isolation, but because my wife is vulnerable. She had a really bad reaction to AZ but has found it impossible to get an mRNA vaccine so is only single jabbed. Hopefully she will be okay.

It's estimated that 3 million people will need to self isolate every week before restrictions end, but then what? It's going to be everywhere. And kids definitely do get sick, some get long covid. What an appalling mess we've got ourselves into and yet people think Johnson has done a good job? Joke of a country. 

Hope everyone's ok Renton mate. Here's a  picture from Wembley last night no social distancing or masks

image.png.f51648a2dff7344df19738b718b4a652.png

Hope all is well. If it's any consolation they closed down the bubble on my wife's class and sent all the kids home over a period of days, but out of 32 kids only 5 tested positive. Are you getting your daughter tested? 

11 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Hope all is well. If it's any consolation they closed down the bubble on my wife's class and sent all the kids home over a period of days, but out of 32 kids only 5 tested positive. Are you getting your daughter tested? 

I've got some lateral flow tests from Boots, will wait until I get absolute verification from the contact case she is PCR positive. Turns out she may have just used a lateral flow test when symptomatic, which is the wrong thing to do. What a ball ache regardless. I'm now feeling quite ill as it happens (nose, throat) which I'm sure is probably psychosomatic! Still, this gives us just enough time before our holidays a week on Saturday. 

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Aye one of the kids in my wife's class had a positive LF followed by a negative PCR. 

Not surprised. You'd need a degree in biochemistry to perform these things competently. We can probably add 4 kits in the Renton household to those gone missing. 

Hope all is well with your daughter Rents :good:

I was doing twice weekly  LFTs up until the first relaxation of lockdown in March. They are fuckin hideous. Christ knows  how difficult it must be for kids

57 minutes ago, trooper said:

Hope everyone's ok Renton mate. Here's a  picture from Wembley last night no social distancing or masks

Yeah but every one of those people will have had a vaccine or tested negative to get into the match.

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

Yeah but every one of those people will have had a vaccine or tested negative to get into the match.

Public Health Scotland said two thirds of the 1,991 cases were people who travelled to London for Scotland's game with England on 18 June.

This included 397 fans who were inside Wembley for the match.

And further on in the article you're quoting from:

It's quite likely that led to some transmission - although remember it is indoor settings such as having a drink in the pub or sharing public transport on the way to the game that is more risky than watching a match outdoors - but it's hardly an explanation for Scotland's big rise in cases.

Scotland fan Michael MacLean told BBC Radio Scotland's Drivetime programme that he tested positive for Covid following his trip to London for the match against England.

The 21-year-old travelled from Inverness on the train, visiting pubs and celebrating with other supporters in Leicester Square during his three-night stay in the city.

A few days after returning to Scotland, he showed symptoms of coronavirus.

He said: "Leicester Square, I would say, was the spreader.

"It was an amazing experience, but I am quite gutted I got Covid because that has affected me, affected my work, it has affected my friends."

31 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I don't think that's the problem. It's people in pubs, at each others' homes. Spilling drink, hugging, spit flying everywhere, knocking one off to the messiah Southgate. The spread seems impossible to stop as it is. 

Well my eldest has to isolate now after a positive case in his class. It seems to be rife. Also staff absence rates in the Newcastle hospital trust are at their highest ever levels. Johnson’s played another blinder 

Not lifting the self-isolation requirements at the same time as the last restrictions are lifted seems incredibly ill-advised. If you're going to do one then surely both? I suppose it's nearly school holidays by then so the schools won't be affected any more, but still.

1 minute ago, Meenzer said:

Not lifting the self-isolation requirements at the same time as the last restrictions are lifted seems incredibly ill-advised. If you're going to do one then surely both? I suppose it's nearly school holidays by then so the schools won't be affected any more, but still.

It's almost like it doesn't make any sense at all. We're going to be stopping the need for isolation when daily cases are in the hundreds of thousands.

Does anyone here still use the full app with bluetooth anyway? Fuck that. 

12 minutes ago, Renton said:

It's almost like it doesn't make any sense at all. We're going to be stopping the need for isolation when daily cases are in the hundreds of thousands.

Does anyone here still use the full app with bluetooth anyway? Fuck that. 

I usually do but sometimes I forget to turn on bluetooth when I leave the house (I leave it off as standard because it constantly triggers various apps tied to things like my Garmin watch). And our self-isolation recently wasn't via the app but because of a friend who tested positive via contact testing, so there's plenty of ways for it to get you even without the app. 🤦‍♂️ :lol:

I do believe there's a silent majority who are still trying to follow the rules as best they can, but it's understandable that everyone's patience is wearing thin.