Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

14 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I still have a look in the forum every now and then.  But, I have not popped on this thread.

However someone sent me this today and I found it interesting;

Sounds relatively positive! Although it does sound a bit like we might all have to get it for this to happen. Unless I'm misreading. 

4 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Sounds relatively positive! Although it does sound a bit like we might all have to get it for this to happen. Unless I'm misreading. 

I read it like that.  Or be jabbed? But still some positivity.

37 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I read it like that.  Or be jabbed? But still some positivity.

Aye, being jabbed is just an artificial way of getting it. It's always been highly likely this virus will become endemic in the population but become less deadly, just like all the other coronaviruses out there, which are one cause of the common cold. People will gain a level of immunity through infection or vaccination, but this will wane and reinfection can always happen, which is why we keep getting colds. How long will this take, and how long do we keep testing people though? 

Positive article but not really news. 

5 hours ago, Alex said:

It’s just a 3 night trip we booked as everywhere is full up. It’s more the fact the schools staying open just seems like a good way to spread the virus really. We’ve got a week in the lakes end of August we booked ages ago. I think we’ll be really careful in the run up to that. Although my lass is a nurse so she can’t stay at home in the lead up to that 

Not really the thread for this but a heads up anyway. I've been trying to book ahead some meals in the Lakes next week. A couple of my old haunts aren't serving food any more. The reason being staff shortages due to Brexit apparently, nowt to do with coronavirus. Which is a bit shit, because one thing I always enjoy on holiday is eating out rather than be arsed to cook in the cabin. Cooking while camping even more so I imagine, although I can see it could be fun with kids. 

9 minutes ago, Renton said:

Aye, being jabbed is just an artificial way of getting it. It's always been highly likely this virus will become endemic in the population but become less deadly, just like all the other coronaviruses out there, which are one cause of the common cold. People will gain a level of immunity through infection or vaccination, but this will wane and reinfection can always happen, which is why we keep getting colds. How long will this take, and how long do we keep testing people though? 

Positive article but not really news. 

I read we're testing more than the whole of Europe combined.  So how do we know that the Delta variant isn't as rife over on the mainland as to here?

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

Not really the thread for this but a heads up anyway. I've been trying to book ahead some meals in the Lakes next week. A couple of my old haunts aren't serving food any more. The reason being staff shortages due to Brexit apparently, nowt to do with coronavirus. Which is a bit shit, because one thing I always enjoy on holiday is eating out rather than be arsed to cook in the cabin. Cooking while camping even more so I imagine, although I can see it could be fun with kids. 

The lakes trip is a lodge in Eskdale. I don’t actually mind cooking anyway but there’s a few pubs nearby which are hopefully doing food. I fucking hope so as one does wood fired pizzas which are lush. Cheers, though. I hadn’t considered that. Mildly dreading the camping trip though tbh :lol: 

1 minute ago, wykikitoon said:

I read we're testing more than the whole of Europe combined.  So how do we know that the Delta variant isn't as rife over on the mainland as to here?

Because its a proportional figure, delta forms a percentage of all cases that were sequenced. So here it is >95% and In Europe its much lower, typically <20%. You might be right about the absolute numbers though, not sure about that.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, trooper said:

Probably hit 40+k this week

COVID-19: UK reports 34,471 new cases and six more deaths

Just to cheer you up troops:

Edited by Renton

7 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Wahey, happy holidays Mrs Renton! :lol:

So, it's one of those things when you're typing, thinking will Gemmill really say that? Yes, indeed you did, and I have won my internal bet. 

You disgust me. Put me off me tea.

Anyway, SAGE are saying the UK is now a threat to the whole world because of our soaring prevalence. Nice to know.

"

There are four major risks associated with high numbers of infections. These are an increase in hospitalisations and deaths, more ‘Long-COVID’; workforce absences (including in the NHS); and the increased risk of new variants emerging. The combination of high prevalence and high levels of vaccination creates the conditions in which an immune escape variant is most likely to emerge. The likelihood of this happening is unknown, but such a variant would present a significant risk both in the UK and internationally.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9781745/Freedom-enjoy-lasts-PM-says-restrictions-end-Monday-reviewed.html

Looks like we'll get 11 weeks of "freedom" before we're back in Lockdown. This happened last year when cases were fairly low in the summer. 500+ last July v 34,000+ this July. By the time the schools reopened in September last year we were seeing roughly 1,500 cases a day. Come this September we could see anywhere between 50/100,000+ cases a day. Enjoy your holidays guys stay safe. Then strap yourselves in, because there's a massive shit storm on the way. 

2 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

They've just had to go down from 3 shifts to 2 at our place because of the amount of people off sick. Given that the next 10 Saturday and Sundays were already on because of how far behind they are there's going to be some fallout :lol:

We've had a call for people to stick overtime requests in as there's been a few off but I don't think the football has helped as well as the isolation cases. I wouldn't do overtime out of principle seeing as I've seen overtime rates go down from what they used to be across the industry and I've too much on my plate as it is. (They rarely bother asking me to be fair but every time we get a new manager it doesn't take him long to get the message). 

Oh they're begging us. They've upped the usual x1.75 to x2 for the next 10 weeks and doing big money prize draws to anyone that goes in. The recent recruitment drive has hamstrung production because the place is littered with untrained newbies. 

• Haha 1

Remember working in a textile warehouse when I was younger. The place used to shut down for 2 weeks. Some bright spark thought it would be a good idea to get some students in. It was an absolute nightmare trying to show them what needed doing. They were either falling asleep or nursing hangovers. Quite a few buggered off at dinner time never to be seen again. Eventually they had to bring in staggered holidays 

Edited by trooper

21 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

I still have a look in the forum every now and then.  But, I have not popped on this thread.

However someone sent me this today and I found it interesting;

welcome back mate - good to see you!

57 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Oh they're begging us. They've upped the usual x1.75 to x2 for the next 10 weeks and doing big money prize draws to anyone that goes in. The recent recruitment drive has hamstrung production because the place is littered with untrained newbies. 

Our rates are x1.33 or x1.5 on a Sunday or bank holiday. If you're desperate your desperate or if you've known no different I can understand but I wouldn't give up my own time for that rate. This has actually reminded me of CT once railing against the idea of shift allowances in the workplace which gave me a laugh at the time. :lol:

• Haha 1